Conor Hourihane

2 hours ago, inter politics said:

Thorne was great but very overrated. Being healthy is a skill.

Even a very basic understanding of genetics says otherwise.

Could be quite a hurtful comment tbh, but I know that's not how you meant it!

I do think certain players just have a weaker disposition (not actually the word I'm looking for but one very similar) than others hence being more 'injury prone'  - no matter their diet, workout routine etc - which can only really be genetic.

For instance I'm yet to see a player before or after Thorne who could somehow manage to have his career ended via an infection received during recovery from a pretty standard leg break .

Edited by Kokosnuss

A fee comments on it, and I didn't intend to make this thread on Hourihane turn into a Bird and/or Thorne thread, but my comment was in direct response to "doesn't score anywhere near enough goals and doesn't assist either".

As a current DM who is heavily criticised for his end product (Bird), I drew a very direct comparison with a DM whose goal contribution output was never commented upon. I was not saying Bird is as good as Thorne.

It also links directly with comments made by Wildsmith on why he had to move away from Sheff Weds, regarding him being an academy product and easily moved aside for someone who was brought in. It's a common theme for some people to judge a players' overall contribution, even if they made their debut aged 16.

1 hour ago, Kokosnuss said:

Even a very basic understanding of genetics says otherwise.

Could be quite a hurtful comment tbh, but I know that's not how you meant it!

I do think certain players just have a weaker disposition (not actually the word I'm looking for but one very similar) than others hence being more 'injury prone'  - no matter their diet, workout routine etc - which can only really be genetic.

For instance I'm yet to see a player before or after Thorne who could somehow manage to have his career ended via an infection received during recovery from a pretty standard leg break .

No I don't mean it emotionally. Must be very frustrating to have such talent but not be able to show it, however playing week in week out isn't just down to ability. George was generally brilliant when he played but he hardly did.

On loan Thorne was pretty much the best midfielder in the league. 

Comfortable anywhere on the ball, solid tackles, great vision, great footballing brain, he could shoot from long range, he got up well for headers, you could go on and on.

Then Derby bought him and with that came the Derby curse. 

On 10/06/2023 at 23:21, vonwright said:

How exactly do you learn to avoid an ACL injury?

some injuries cant be avoided sure, but when it comes to self- protection some players’ instincts are more finely honed than others. I’d say Knight (for example) is a player who throws himself about, plays with intensity, but manages to avoid knocks that will damage him.  Bielik on the other hand can damage his shoulder in between scoring a goal and celebrating it. Always admired Lampard’s ability to keep constantly in the mix and out of trouble

On 10/06/2023 at 23:34, SK47 said:

On loan Thorne was pretty much the best midfielder in the league. 

Comfortable anywhere on the ball, solid tackles, great vision, great footballing brain, he could shoot from long range, he got up well for headers, you could go on and on.

Then Derby bought him and with that came the Derby curse. 

Thorne hardly played for us on loan, 13 games was it ? Yes he looked fantastic but so did every one else in that side which affects things. In that same season he was on loan at Watford as well without making any headlines.