Conor Hourihane

Just chatting about this on a walk.

I never realised Jake Buxton was coaching kids with us whilst playing at Burton and there are other examples.

Perhaps a bit more common than this old dinosaur thought.. 

As I said, I have a feeling Connor will be a big player for us next season, with a full pre-seaon under his belt.

So I'd be gutted to lose him at this stage.

9 minutes ago, SSD said:

Breaking news. Footballer gives up spare time to coach children.

And when asked if he is still at derby he said "as it stands"...clearly more to it than just coaching in his spare time.

I will be suprised (pleasantly) if he is still with us come August.

11 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

And when asked if he is still at derby he said "as it stands"...clearly more to it than just coaching in his spare time.

Because as it stands he is still at Derby. Listen to the podcast, it really is a non-story. He’s back in his home town having a break with family and gave a 9 minute interview to the local newspaper, the journo asked about Derby’s recruitment and plans to gain promotion next season and he said that the plan is to recruit and go again and currently he’s part of that, whilst adding a caveat that anything can happen in football….because it can. It’s not him saying he’s trying to leave, it’s not evidence of a club bidding for him.
If that happens then there’s more to say about it, until then it’s just a matter of fact answer. As it stands, he is a Derby player. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

9 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

As it stands I still work where I work as well but if I win the lottery I would probably pack it in. Doesn’t mean it’s going to happen especially when you read the full quote rather than the snippets that these troublesome “news” outlets post.

2 hours ago, alram said:

nothing to do with finding the time and effort to do so. we all know that's possible.

answer me as to why he isnt coaching in OUR academy if he wants a youth coaching gig?

my problem isnt the coaching its where he's doing it and his quite disrespectful answer to a question

Unless you can tell me otherwise, I'm assuming all our coaching roles are currently filled so, yeah, let's sack one to accommodate a player with just a year left on his contract or start going down the slippery slope of creating jobs which aren't necessary, particularly when the Club is still having to work to a business plan agreed with the EFL.

47 minutes ago, nottingram said:

As it stands I still work where I work as well but if I win the lottery I would probably pack it in. Doesn’t mean it’s going to happen especially when you read the full quote rather than the snippets that these troublesome “news” outlets post.

It’s a bit like when the pope visited Paris and a reporter asked him if he would be visiting any strip clubs, the pope replied “ I didn’t know there were strip clubs in Paris, are there strip clubs in Paris”

The headline in the newspaper the next day states… Pope touches down at Paris airport, kisses the tarmac and asks, Are there any strip clubs in Paris.

27 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

It’s a bit like when the pope visited Paris and a reporter asked him if he would be visiting any strip clubs, the pope replied “ I didn’t know there were strip clubs in Paris, are there strip clubs in Paris”

The headline in the newspaper the next day states… Pope touches down at Paris airport, kisses the tarmac and asks, Are there any strip clubs in Paris.

I worked at a video shop a long way back.  I remember we used to get all the film magazines provided to us to have a look at what was coming up. 

One film was reviewed as "quite simply the worst film of the year".  It was heralded on the back of the box as "...Film of the year", says Empire.

12 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

There was a similar attitude when a minority of fans were calling out Mel Morris or the shoddy recruitment.

And look where that nearly ended.

We will see if Connor is here come August.

Hide Bury GIF by BBC Earth

I’m not saying he will be here in August. Things can change, but as it stands, he is contracted to be here next season and that is the state of things. If he moves on before the season starts then I’ll accept that at the time, until then there’s nothing in his comment other than media sources trying to generate attention and clicks by riling up a fan base, and it seems to be working.

16 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

There was a similar attitude when a minority of fans were calling out Mel Morris or the shoddy recruitment.

If Hourihane isn't here come the start of the season, it would not be the end of the world.

Likewise with McGoldrick. 

Players come and go, that's football, little point in getting emotionally attached to any player.

If you want to grab the pitch fork over Hourihane taking on a part time coaching role at Villa, go for it, each to their own.

3 hours ago, alram said:

nothing to do with finding the time and effort to do so. we all know that's possible.

answer me as to why he isnt coaching in OUR academy if he wants a youth coaching gig?

my problem isnt the coaching its where he's doing it and his quite disrespectful answer to a question

Perhaps because it’s U16’s and will involve coaching in the evening.  Doing it at Villa, near where he lives, means it minimises impact on his personal life and time with his family.

Edited by FlyBritishMidland

3 minutes ago, David said:

If Hourihane isn't here come the start of the season, it would not be the end of the world.

Likewise with McGoldrick. 

Players come and go, that's football, little point in getting emotionally attached to any player.

If you want to grab the pitch fork over Hourihane taking on a part time coaching role at Villa, go for it, each to their own.

I find it astonishing.  There was the same thing about Rooney leaving as manager last year.

It is the same as any work place - no one is indispensable.   

30 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

The transfer window isn't open until the 14th June and our recruitment is already being deemed shoddy? Come on...

7 minutes ago, CBX1985 said:

I find it astonishing.  There was the same thing about Rooney leaving as manager last year.

It is the same as any work place - no one is indispensable.   

Same. Feels like we’re so used to having something going on, be it spending £40m or on the brink of going out of business, this period of calm whilst the players are away on holiday is seeing mountains being built out of mole hills.

Maybe that’s be burying my head in the sand here again as has been suggested, just feels a little premature for any kind of panic over the state of the squad for next season yet as I look at my watch….yeah June 9th.

Just over a month since we last kicked a ball, 2 months from the start of the new season. 

10 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

The transfer window isn't open until the 14th June and our recruitment is already being deemed shoddy? Come on...

Think he was referring to the shoddy recruitment under Mel.

10 minutes ago, David said:

Same. Feels like we’re so used to having something going on, be it spending £40m or on the brink of going out of business, this period of calm whilst the players are away on holiday is seeing mountains being built out of mole hills.

Maybe that’s be burying my head in the sand here again as has been suggested, just feels a little premature for any kind of panic over the state of the squad for next season yet as I look at my watch….yeah June 9th.

Just over a month since we last kicked a ball, 2 months from the start of the new season. 

It's sometimes got a whiff of entitlement to it in my view. Every time any player that has been tenuously connected with us looks like they are off somewhere else there's people (not just in here, but amongst our fans in general) pouncing on it like there wont be any players left by the end of June, and that Derby have some divine right to be front of the queue at this level purely because we are Derby.

Doesn't work like that. Of course I would love to see new players coming in that fit the bill as quickly as possible, but we've all been following Derby long enough to know it's never that simple and never will be.

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta