Conor Hourihane

Hourihane was one you would expect to be here come rain or shine next season, a contributor late into his career who still provided moments on quality along the season. It still sounds like that will be the case, albeit with an unconvincing twang. 

It will all shape up over the next couple of months, but it's making me think we will be seeing some surprises on the horizon. 

Instead of going and coaching some children at a team local to where he lives, I would prefer him to move to Duffield and go and get pissed up in the Joiners every evening.

That way we can keep an eye on him and make sure he isn’t passing trade secrets on or perhaps even asking Unai Emery whether he could still get a gig playing for a top half Prem club.

So, as much as it looks shaky on the surface, as some have said, if he lives that way, has been doing his coaching badges (which he has), he's just setting himself up for the future. If anything, it might give us another pot for us to dip in for loans aslong as connor is committed to us. It doesn't always have to be bitter, and if a relationship can be formed between clubs/management, it could stand us in good stead

Anyone watch the West Ham game the other night?

The Brazilian no 10 beginning with 'P' (sorry) did not do very much except put the winner on a plate for Bowen.

Hourihane got in the league team of the year, playing a style that doesn't suit him, by making multiple scoring and assist interventions.

Wouldn't surprise me if a Championship team closer to where he lives comes knocking -  he'd deserve the move, improve their team and we'd miss him.

Quality player, who is under-appreciated because of a perceived lack of grunt.

2 minutes ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

Anyone watch the West Ham game the other night?

The Brazilian no 10 beginning with 'P' (sorry) did not do very much except put the winner on a plate for Bowen.

Hourihane got in the league team of the year, playing a style that doesn't suit him, by making multiple scoring and assist interventions.

Wouldn't surprise me if a Championship team closer to where he lives comes knocking -  he'd deserve the move, improve their team and we'd miss him.

Quality player, who is under-appreciated because of a perceived lack of grunt.

Lucas Paqueta. I see your point but I think the criticism from Hourihane stems more from his role within the system; if we're playing a midfield 2 then those 2 need to be really dynamic. I think Hourihane is a good player who provided some moments of real quality, but his tendency to drift to the left and then not track back (less prevalent as the season went on), means I understand why some fans don't rate him as highly for us. 

10 hours ago, Foreveram said:

Not really any different from players doing media work, commentating on SKY at evening games.

its completely different. he is working for another football club, if he wants a job coaching in the evening it should be here.

its another red flag in a summer of red flags so far

10 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Hourihane was one you would expect to be here come rain or shine next season, a contributor late into his career who still provided moments on quality along the season. It still sounds like that will be the case, albeit with an unconvincing twang. 

It will all shape up over the next couple of months, but it's making me think we will be seeing some surprises on the horizon. 

It sounds like he likes the coaching job he's been offered.

But, he has a contract and it will cost to get out of it - I doubt any club is going to pay to break that for an under 16s coaching role.  Therefore, I suspect he plays down his contract and then goes into coaching.  

1 minute ago, alram said:

its completely different. he is working for another football club, if he wants a job coaching in the evening it should be here.

All I have seen you do across multiple threads is moan about how terrible everything is.

Answer me this, my brother-in-law has a paid youth coaching position for a team local to him, he does this three evenings a week. He also works a full time day job. He does both with no trouble whatsoever.

What is the difference between that and what Hourihane is doing?

8 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

All I have seen you do across multiple threads is moan about how terrible everything is.

Answer me this, my brother-in-law has a paid youth coaching position for a team local to him, he does this three evenings a week. He also works a full time day job. He does both with no trouble whatsoever.

What is the difference between that and what Hourihane is doing?

nothing to do with finding the time and effort to do so. we all know that's possible.

answer me as to why he isnt coaching in OUR academy if he wants a youth coaching gig?

my problem isnt the coaching its where he's doing it and his quite disrespectful answer to a question

Edited by alram

12 minutes ago, alram said:

What green flags could we receive when the window is closed?

We had a team made up of one and two year deals.  Flux was guarenteed this summer.  The other side of the coin is you have players on five year deals surplus to requirements that might not sell or just want to take  the pay cheque and do nothing.  

A competitive team will be put out one way or another.  Who those players will be we don't know.  We are there to support whoever is put out on the park.  Our position was much worse this time last year.

7 minutes ago, alram said:

nothing to do with finding the time and effort to do so. we all know that's possible.

answer me as to why he isnt coaching in OUR academy if he wants a youth coaching gig?

my problem isnt the coaching its where he's doing it and his quite disrespectful answer to a question

Because there might not be a position for him in our academy. If Warne or the club have a problem with it then fair enough, but if the have given him the OK then I really don't see a problem to be honest. As long as he is playing the right way come the start of the season, assuming he is still here at that point then he can do whatever he wants outside of that as far as I am concerned.

14 minutes ago, alram said:

If I had to guess, it’s probably because he lives near Aston Villa’s training ground and doesn’t live particularly near Derby’s and it makes zero sense for him to arse around our training ground for 6 hours before children’s coaching starts.

Of course if it comes out Aston Villa’s under 9’s beat Derby’s under 9’s 14-0 and he’s been passing on insider information I’ll be giving him a massive booooooo as soon as he gives the ball away next season.

Then again the people who sit around me do that anyway so I might not even wait.