Jason Knight - joined Bristol City

IlsonDerby

It may have been mentioned, but selling Knight for 2 million (ish) is massive for Derby in terms of P&S.

I won't attempt to do the maths, but, as sad as it may be to sell the likes of Knight and Cashin, what that would do for the club to be able strengthen significantly over the next couple of years could be massive.

£1.75mil to £2 mil is a fair price for someone with only 1 year left. If there’s a sell on % then all the better.

This will also be a boost to P&S figures down the line. Also it will hopefully allow funds to be used on a forward that we may not have hat the money for without this income. 

Good luck Jason

1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

Of those 3 weeks you mention Knight was only at the club itself for 1 of them where he has done preseason training & then sensibly wasnt risked in a preseason game.

Did you want us to not allow him to have a break after his international duty & then not train when he did return all whilst we negotiated a price....but then Warne does a club vetted interview where he says he thinks a sale isnt fair off & we buckle on the price.

To think Warne's comments influenced his bosses to accept a lower bid than they wanted is ludicrous. 

You dont like Warne, fair enough, but dont make up nonsense to try & support your opinion.

Did some training then whilst we waited 3 weeks for a mind blowing 60k after deductions.  I think Warnes a buffoon at public speaking and this jobs too big for him but that doesn't mine I don't like him or dislike him.  I don't know him .  I have also had a number of years in large financial negotiation, often trying to get blood from a stone to get things finalised.  I talk from experience.

The sale in itself, isn't fantastic, as we would still get a compensation fee for him in 12 month's time. But, we have to look at the bigger picture here, he's plays in a position where we can afford to lose a player and the money coming in for him will enable us to go after a better quality player up front, where we need it. Plus, we don't know if he's told PW that he would like a move, PW has said that he won't hold on to players not fully committed to the cause.

2 minutes ago, ram59 said:

The sale in itself, isn't fantastic, as we would still get a compensation fee for him in 12 month's time. But, we have to look at the bigger picture here, he's plays in a position where we can afford to lose a player and the money coming in for him will enable us to go after a better quality player up front, where we need it. Plus, we don't know if he's told PW that he would like a move, PW has said that he won't hold on to players not fully committed to the cause.

Thing is the compensation figure wouldn't have been guaranteed, as with Ebiowei it can take an age to reach a decision on compensation.

At least selling now we get the guranteed cash in our back burners, the room it frees up in P&S. This could be the catalyst for getting my number 1 target, Jonson Clark Harris.

30 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

£1.75mil to £2 mil is a fair price for someone with only 1 year left. If there’s a sell on % then all the better.

This will also be a boost to P&S figures down the line. Also it will hopefully allow funds to be used on a forward that we may not have hat the money for without this income. 

Good luck Jason

good point regarding the sell on %. we might get £2 mill via tribunal if we kept this year and he ran down his contract. but at least now, if we do sell him we have a little bit to of bargaining power 

Edited by Ram-a-lama fa fa fa

30 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Did some training then whilst we waited 3 weeks for a mind blowing 60k after deductions.  I think Warnes a buffoon at public speaking and this jobs too big for him but that doesn't mine I don't like him or dislike him.  I don't know him .  I have also had a number of years in large financial negotiation, often trying to get blood from a stone to get things finalised.  I talk from experience.

You’re literally moaning about details you don’t know are correct. How do you know they went from £1.6 mil to £1.75 mil? Which is around 10% uplift btw. For al we know it was £1.5 mil and now it’s £2 mil. We just don’t know the details so you’re point isnt valid 

22 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

You’re literally moaning about details you don’t know are correct. How do you know they went from £1.6 mil to £1.75 mil? Which is around 10% uplift btw. For al we know it was £1.5 mil and now it’s £2 mil. We just don’t know the details so you’re point isnt valid 

Well no I'm not am I. It's been reported as just that in their local paper.

8 hours ago, Ram-a-lama fa fa fa said:

good point regarding the sell on %. we might get £2 mill via tribunal if we kept this year and he ran down his contract. but at least now, if we do sell him we have a little bit to of bargaining power 

The big difference is that funds from a tribunal might not be forthcoming until 2025 onwards. It can be a long process - I’m still not sure that the tribunal for the Ebiowei has been received or even decided yet. 

It’s exactly why teams will sign a player ‘out of contract’ but negotiate for a faster settlement where the buying club can pay a lot less than they would at a tribunal. A cynic would say the process is purposely slow in order for thir to happen. 

9 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

How long do 'large financial negotiations' take? It's unlikely that the deal hadn't been agreed and maybe just personal terms being finalised. There was only a couple of days between that and the first preseason friendly where Knights omission would have been obvious!

Anyone else feel like they get overly attached to players just because they came from the academy? With a sensible hat on, most of us would admit we'd not be fussed if knight was another freebie we'd picked up from someone like Sheffield Wednesday. We'd probably be celebrating the fantastic bit of business in turning him around for a 6 figure fee.

He has a lot of room to improve, but for me he's not really a massive loss at this point in time. Might be my crap memory, but while he had some good performances after coming back from injury, I don't really feel like he improved the team much.

From his point of view, I don't understand the move to Bristol city. If we'd gone up last year, I'd already expect us to at least be competing on their level in terms of championship ambitions. If we go up next year, Knight could find his old club above him before he knows it. Still, that's up to him. He gets another season at a higher level, so that makes sense. Just seems a bit short-term.

Let's not forget there's a human at the centre of all this.

It was reported that he was going to go away for a couple of weeks to mull it all over. Perhaps Knight has decided he's achieved all he can here, and that a move away will be better for his progression?

I think he's done enough for the club for us to wish him all the best. He's certainly one I'll be looking out for.

And probably be scoring against us next season 😂

13 hours ago, Kernow said:

I think he is a good player, but that price is fair. His international manager is obviously hammering in the need for him to play at a better level to continue his international career, which is having an impact. Just like with Bielik. Personally, I don't see how playing for Bristol City is going to propel him to the level that Ireland want him to be, as opposed to us, but each to their own.

I

The Championship last year was pretty ordinary...excluding Burnley...Coventry managed to get 5th place which was pretty damn good, Takeaway Southampton, Leeds and Leicester who I think all 3 will be there or there abouts, There's no one else that looks like being able to compete, So there's 3 places up for grabs.

Bristol City are getting closer to the top 6 might even might break into it but that's not saying they're a top club in the Championship, It looks as tho Bristol were the only club who wanted Knight, International managers and agents are there to look after their own interests, JK listened and looks like to have agreed to join, I wish him well...but it just could be a mistake...time will tell👍