Jason Knight - joined Bristol City

IlsonDerby

27 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Don’t you get it? Clowes and Pearce simply couldn’t negotiate the price any further with Bristol’s technical director because that no good so and so Warne undermined the whole process by giving his club sanctioned interview with the local media… 🙄 

Don’t you get it?

Whatever was said (by Warne) it wasn’t a signed contract!  
Messrs Clowes and Pearce had  plenty of scope to hold out and/or walk away!  

14 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

There is no way a club sits on that last bid for over 2 weeks and takes another 100 k .  He's probably had a third of that in wages and risked injury.  

And so the more realistic explanation as you see it is Paul Warne gives his interview, Bristol watch it, ring Stephen Pearce and say words to the effect of  “we saw Warne’s interview, we now know our bid is really close so we’ll give you £100k on top and nothing more…take it or leave it” which forces Pearce and the club to concede in the negotiations. Despite it being reported that at least 2 other clubs were interested, despite the club allegedly not having to sell?

I know you don’t like Warne, but to pin the value of Jason Knight’s transfer on him just simply doesn’t make sense. He doesn’t get involved with the financial side of negotiations from what’s been said, the press are reporting negotiations had been ongoing. A more realistic view is that the club will have had a set price they were willing to sell at, Bristol didn’t meet that price with their first bids, so went away from the table, they then come back having taken the time to consider the situation and meet the asking price.
Potentially Warne’s interview could have served to reiterate the club’s stance of willing to sell if that price is met, and Bristol then decide to up the offer. I just don’t see the scenario you’re proposing in which Warne’s reckless loose lips have backed the club into a corner. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

5 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Don’t you get it?

Whatever was said (by Warne) it wasn’t a signed contract!  
Messrs Clowes and Pearce had  plenty of scope to hold out and/or walk away!  

Are you also of the opinion that Warne’s interview has forced the club so sell at a lower value than they’re comfortable with? 

Just now, Caerphilly Ram said:

And so the more realistic explanation as you see it is Paul Warne gives his interview, Bristol watch it, ring Stephen Pearce and say words to the effect of  “we saw Warne’s interview, we now know our bid is really close so we’ll give you £100k on top and nothing more…take it or leave it” which forces Pearce and the club to concede in the negotiations. Despite it being reported that at least 2 other clubs were interested, despite the club allegedly not having to sell?

I know you don’t like Warne, but to pin the value of Jason Knight’s transfer of him just simply doesn’t make sense. He doesn’t get involved with the financial side of negotiations from what’s been said, the press are reporting negotiations had been ongoing. A more realistic view is that the club will have had a set price they were willing to sell at, Bristol didn’t meet that price with their first bids, so went away from the table, they then come back having taken the time to consider the situation and meet the asking price.
Potentially Warne’s interview could have served to reiterate the club’s stance of willing to sell if that price is met, and Bristol then decide to up the offer. I just don’t see the scenario you’re proposing in which Warne’s reckless loose lips have backed the club into a corner. 

Yes.  100k or so is not worth waiting nearly 3 weeks on whilst your paying that players wages.  It would hardly put a dent in their toilet cleaning bill if it was a player they really wanted.  

14 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

There is no way a club sits on that last bid for over 2 weeks and takes another 100 k .  He's probably had a third of that in wages and risked injury.  

Why not?  According to the article their last bid was £1.6M so we’ve got another £150k.  We’ve held firm, and why not?  Even if we have paid him around £30k in wages in that period we’re still up.  I think it’s good that we’ve stood our ground and held out for what we want.

Just now, FlyBritishMidland said:

Why not?  According to the article their last bid was £1.6M so we’ve got another £150k.  We’ve held firm, and why not?  Even if we have paid him around £30k in wages in that period we’re still up.  I think it’s good that we’ve stood our ground and held out for what we want.

And risk injury? and weeks of negotiation your footing the bill for your end and Knights wages.  No chance.

6 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Are you also of the opinion that Warne’s interview has forced the club so sell at a lower value than they’re comfortable with? 

Have to be honest mate… no, I’m not. 
I don’t see his comments having any meaningful effect on the actual negotiations whatsoever. 

Interesting to see how as a fan base we are incredibly undecided on a player, who is universally liked, and has over 150 games for us. 

Some have him down as a Premier League player in waiting, others have him down as a good Championship player and some even less so than that. 

I would personally like to think that any 22 year future Premier League footballer would be able to beat out the likes of a 36 year old David McGoldrick and a 34 year old Craig Forsyth in the player of the season voting. I don’t know where his average came out of all our players from the player ratings thread - I’d guess probably outside the top 5? It seems our own opinions on him are somewhat misguided and some are still clinging on to the memory of him as a breakthrough star - our thoughts over the course of the season (and the one before that?) are probably documented somewhere in this forum as an average.  

Just now, Mucker1884 said:

Have to be honest mate… no, I’m not. 
I don’t see his comments having any meaningful effect on the actual negotiations whatsoever. 

Ah right, that’s my own view, the post you replied to was very much tongue in cheek, sorry if that wasn’t clear.
I don’t see how Warne’s comments have suddenly meant the club are forced to sell an asset at less than they would like.
Warne gives his interview, which is vetted and edited before being aired, the comments go out more than likely knowing the deal is done or close to it as they would have known Knight wasn’t going to be on the plane to Spain and the interview sort of softens the impact of that and the transfer story breaking today. 

4 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

The fact our manager said we'd take a bag of sweets to get it over the line knowing they had us over a barrel and they wouldn't need to offer more.

But Warne doesn’t dictate what the executives in charge of the club do. Warne works for them, not the other way around. Warne could be sacked tomorrow and the Knight sale would still happen. I just don’t see your logic on this one, I’ve disagreed with a lot of your views but can often see the rationale behind them, I just can’t with this one. 
Pearce under Clowes instruction will have negotiated the deal, they will have agreed an acceptable price for Knight, and Bristol have met that price. It’s less than some think he’s worth, but it is what it is, he’ll be sold for the price the club agree is acceptable and hopefully that’s then reinvested to strengthen the squad. 

i cant see why people are being petty the lad was  always going to leave and our valuation must have been very near to their bids. so why are assumed supporters being picky and pedantic to pick an argument ?? some people need to remember two things what league we are in and who bailed the club out to still be here. or alternatively take a look in the mirror but i expect they would argue with their own image. for goodness sakes guys grow some

5 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

But Warne doesn’t dictate what the executives in charge of the club do. Warne works for them, not the other way around. Warne could be sacked tomorrow and the Knight sale would still happen. I just don’t see your logic on this one, I’ve disagreed with a lot of your views but can often see the rationale behind them, I just can’t with this one. 
Pearce under Clowes instruction will have negotiated the deal, they will have agreed an acceptable price for Knight, and Bristol have met that price. It’s less than some think he’s worth, but it is what it is, he’ll be sold for the price the club agree is acceptable and hopefully that’s then reinvested to strengthen the squad. 

I cannot see why a club would hold for 3 weeks for an additional 100-150k taking into account wages, cost in negotiation , potential injury,  a loss of a transfer target they may need cash in for.   Then come out 50-75 k better off.  Therefore, I think it entirely plausible that this tiny upgrade in offer with a minimal add on came about following our managers interview as a take it or leave it end game knowing they were in the drivers seat.

4 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I cannot see why a club would hold for 3 weeks for an additional 100-150k taking into account wages, cost in negotiation , potential injury,  a loss of a transfer target they may need cash in for.   Then come out 50-75 k better off.  Therefore, I think it entirely plausible that this tiny upgrade in offer with a minimal add on came about following our managers interview as a take it or leave it end game knowing they were in the drivers seat.

Oh behave yourself! 

9 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Fair enough, thanks for clarifying your view. I don’t see it myself of course. 

12 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

What if the extra money was added to different budget pots re the business plan and ffp? 
Also, if he was to get injured he’d probably stay, (insurance pay wages) then play for us (which everyone wants) and still be worth same amount at the end of his contract. 
As for the actual value, maybe we said £2m (for example) after the £1.5 offer. They came back 100k short. We told them to take it or leave it. 
Ultimately there are so many variables we can guess on but some people choose options to fit their agenda. 

13 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Of those 3 weeks you mention Knight was only at the club itself for 1 of them where he has done preseason training & then sensibly wasnt risked in a preseason game.

Did you want us to not allow him to have a break after his international duty & then not train when he did return all whilst we negotiated a price....but then Warne does a club vetted interview where he says he thinks a sale isnt fair off & we buckle on the price.

To think Warne's comments influenced his bosses to accept a lower bid than they wanted is ludicrous. 

You dont like Warne, fair enough, but dont make up nonsense to try & support your opinion.