Jason Knight - joined Bristol City

IlsonDerby

10 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Did some training then whilst we waited 3 weeks for a mind blowing 60k after deductions.  I think Warnes a buffoon at public speaking and this jobs too big for him but that doesn't mine I don't like him or dislike him.  I don't know him .  I have also had a number of years in large financial negotiation, often trying to get blood from a stone to get things finalised.  I talk from experience.

Must admit i'm struggling to agree with you on this one. There's no way we'd have gotten more than £2.5m for Knight, if clubs rated him that highly they would've paid that already. Bristol City appear to be the only interested party that actually want to put up as opposed to shut up. I think from a squad building perspective it benefits us to get him out the door, even if it means us losing £200k-£300k on his overall fee. 

The only other genuine option the club had would've been to have kept him and banked on him helping us up. Then hope we can tie him down after making him see Derby is the only club for him. I think with the pressures from the Ireland boss, this option was unrealistic to happen. 

I think Warne was being as honest as he could regarding Knight. Could have dismissed the question? Or played it stone faced? Yes, but would that have resulted in us getting millions more? In my opinion no. 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

How long do 'large financial negotiations' take? It's unlikely that the deal hadn't been agreed and maybe just personal terms being finalised. There was only a couple of days between that and the first preseason friendly where Knights omission would have been obvious!

Sometimes they can take a few months.  If it's a matter of a nominal increase however, it wouldn't' be pursued further as there may be another issue down the line reducing payment and the longer it takes the more it costs your organisation. 

20 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Sometimes they can take a few months.  If it's a matter of a nominal increase however, it wouldn't' be pursued further as there may be another issue down the line reducing payment and the longer it takes the more it costs your organisation. 

So Warne actually did nothing wrong other than speak about a potential transfer that was nearly all wrapped up.

Best of luck to Knight from me. He has proven his loyalty when he had an extension last season. A good academy success story which we will hopefully see again( after Mel had ripped the guts out of it). A proven international player who could have maybe warranted a larger transfer fee. The downside for him was that he never really had a prolonged set position in our team because of his versatility. Be sad to see him go but I won't be holding a grudge or would boo him in the future. All the best Knighty. 

I also get the sense this may be more of a reflection of the situation Championship finds itself in financially. Gone are the days of teams like Bristol City (decent size, but no parachute payments) splashing £5m on even standout L1 players, maybe pre-COVID days we might have had offers of £3-4m from teams for Knight instead of £1-2m.

Come the end of the window, £2m might look sizeable in context.

Just now, Donegal Ram said:

Best of luck to Knight from me. He has proven his loyalty when he had an extension last season. A good academy success story which we will hopefully see again( after Mel had ripped the guts out of it). A proven international player who could have maybe warranted a larger transfer fee. The downside for him was that he never really had a prolonged set position in our team because of his versatility. Be sad to see him go but I won't be holding a grudge or would boo him in the future. All the best Knighty. 

Don't think he had an extension last season did he? Unless you mean he just didn't do a Buchanan.

1 hour ago, The Last Post said:

The Championship last year was pretty ordinary...excluding Burnley...Coventry managed to get 5th place which was pretty damn good, Takeaway Southampton, Leeds and Leicester who I think all 3 will be there or there abouts, There's no one else that looks like being able to compete, So there's 3 places up for grabs.

Bristol City are getting closer to the top 6 might even might break into it but that's not saying they're a top club in the Championship, It looks as tho Bristol were the only club who wanted Knight, International managers and agents are there to look after their own interests, JK listened and looks like to have agreed to join, I wish him well...but it just could be a mistake...time will tell👍

I actually think the Championship is the strongest it’s been in a long time. Three strong sides have come down, I can see them all challenging near the top. You have some strong sides coming up too, I don’t see any of the three promoted sides going down.

With the 6 clubs that joined the division, vs the 6 that left, I think the competition is a lot tougher. Bristol City have been a top Championship club for about 1 season in the last 15 years or so. They reached the play-off final in 2008, and did very little since.

They’re a solid, upper bottom half side and I don’t see there being much risk of that changing for better or for worse next year either.

33 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So Warne actually did nothing wrong other than speak about a potential transfer that was nearly all wrapped up.

At that point it was clear the club were still looking at the best offer they'd be getting.   Advising that the deal is almost there but not quite is never a good idea.  If I was the person negotiating and someone other than me, or part of that finance team, I would not be chuffed if Bob on reception started telling someone the deal you've offered isn't terrible and I can tell you your almost there.  I'll let them know you've called.

14 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

At that point it was clear the club were still looking at the best offer they'd be getting.   Advising that the deal is almost there but not quite is never a good idea.  If I was the person negotiating and someone other than me, or part of that finance team, I would not be chuffed if Bob on reception started telling someone the deal you've offered isn't terrible and I can tell you your almost there.  I'll let them know you've called.

With your experience and in your hypothetical scenario would Bob’s comments prevent you from doing your job negotiating the price? Or would you discuss with the other parties that Bob isn’t making those decisions and the numbers in question remain your responsibility?

14 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

With your experience and in your hypothetical scenario would Bob’s comments prevent you from doing your job negotiating the price? Or would you discuss with the other parties that Bob isn’t making those decisions and the numbers in question remain your responsibility?

Bob's comments would make life more difficult as it would be apparent working in one organisation his comments had too come from somewhere.  Irrespective of whether I considered Bob some random geezer who talked too much, I'd be chancing my arm in case he was right.  Who knows Bob might take minutes at meetings occasionally and would certainly be aware on lines of communication who's calling and what they may want at stages of a process.  He may even have had something handed in, opened it and seen something he shouldn't have.  Not my issue, it's Bobs.  

39 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

How is that so when you've just said financial negotiations take a long time?

For all you know it might have been said to show other clubs we weren't going to sell for peanuts? The deal was all but ink drying! We got our price and the deal is going through at the price we wanted to sell at. That is more likely than a deal that potentially involves Wilson as well falling down over a bit of manager chatter!

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

How is that so when you've just said financial negotiations take a long time?

For all you know it might have been said to show other clubs we weren't going to sell for peanuts? The deal was all but ink drying! We got our price and the deal is going through at the price we wanted to sell at. That is more likely than a deal that potentially involves Wilson as well falling down over a bit of manager chatter!

From the club in question. Not other clubs. I'll be honest mate your a bit late to the party on this one.  I've spent 24 hrs going back and forth with this one.  I'm calling quits on going round in a circle. 

1 minute ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

From the club in question. Not other clubs. I'll be honest mate your a bit late to the party on this one.  I've spent 24 hrs going back and forth with this one.  I'm calling quits on going round in a circle. 

Didn't realise there was a party, I never get an invite! 😄 #COYR

14 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I cannot see why a club would hold for 3 weeks for an additional 100-150k taking into account wages, cost in negotiation , potential injury,  a loss of a transfer target they may need cash in for.   Then come out 50-75 k better off.  Therefore, I think it entirely plausible that this tiny upgrade in offer with a minimal add on came about following our managers interview as a take it or leave it end game knowing they were in the drivers seat.

You answered your own question. That £50-75k could be the difference between us landing a target rather than him going to someone else for more than we could otherwise afford.

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

You answered your own question. That £50-75k could be the difference between us landing a target rather than him going to someone else for more than we could otherwise afford.

I can't imagine that's feasible when we're paying a years salary to Loach who's not going to play or probably even make the bench. 

2 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I also get the sense this may be more of a reflection of the situation Championship finds itself in financially. Gone are the days of teams like Bristol City (decent size, but no parachute payments) splashing £5m on even standout L1 players, maybe pre-COVID days we might have had offers of £3-4m from teams for Knight instead of £1-2m.

Come the end of the window, £2m might look sizeable in context.

Think you're right I was miffed at the figure until I started looking at other transfers, mainly free's and small fees currently to the championship. I think with an extra year on his contract we would've seen £3m

41 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I can't imagine that's feasible when we're paying a years salary to Loach who's not going to play or probably even make the bench. 

I'm not exactly sure what your point is. On one hand you're arguing that Warne shouldn't have said anything because we've been forced to accept a lower offer than we wanted, despite other teams being interested. Then on the other hand, you're arguing that we should have accepted less money because it wasn't worth waiting 3 weeks for more money.

In this league, every penny counts. We've accepted a figure which we're happy with.

Loach has his own role to play, even if that isn't actually on the pitch. We aren't the first or only club with a 3rd choice GK who is unlikely to feature.

10 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I'm not exactly sure what your point is. On one hand you're arguing that Warne shouldn't have said anything because we've been forced to accept a lower offer than we wanted, despite other teams being interested. Then on the other hand, you're arguing that we should have accepted less money because it wasn't worth waiting 3 weeks for more money.

In this league, every penny counts. We've accepted a figure which we're happy with.

Loach has his own role to play, even if that isn't actually on the pitch. We aren't the first or only club with a 3rd choice GK who is unlikely to feature.

Never said that.

Not at the amount we got.  

If every penny counts you don't spend wages on someone who isn't going to feature.  No sane organisation would do it.

4 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Never said that.

Not at the amount we got.  

If every penny counts you don't spend wages on someone who isn't going to feature.  No sane organisation would do it.

Your statement that no sane organisation would pay a third choice keeper who isn’t going to feature infers the club isn’t acting in a sane manner, which seems a little misplaced. 

Football clubs typically operate with 3 senior goalkeepers, it’s nothing new and something that must surely have been budgeted for by Derby. If Wildsmith or Vickers got injured Loach would be on the bench, he may play in one of the 3 cup competitions we have also.