Jason Knight - joined Bristol City

IlsonDerby

2 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

If you handing in your notice, your still doing the same job till you leave.? 

No matter how you look it, if you know your selling a player, including them even in light training and waiting is a risk for this amount of money - 50-70k. During his time playing for Ireland he advised he wasn't sure what he was doing.  If the deal had been agreed at that stage it would have been very unlikely he'd have played with the agreement of all parties.

And Knights been doing his job.  If a company terminated your contract they still have the same notice period and still pay you.  

In relation to Ireland, they were qualifiers.  He’d have played.  Friendlies, maybe not.  You’d have to exceptionally risk averse to not even include him in training.

3 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Personally think this is a short sighted move from Jason. Bristol are a nothing club, always will be a nothing club and are not getting promoted any time soon. Whether he uses this as a stepping stone to a premier league move time will tell.

For us, £2m is a good deal considering we’re in League 1 and he only has a year left. He’s a good player and I think he has the potential to play in the premier league. However I expected him to absolutely boss league 1 last season and he didn’t, simple as that. Of the young players we have he’s the one I’m happiest to lose. Losing Cashin or Max Bird would be far more damaging, Sibley we still hope there is a player there and we simply wouldn’t get enough for him right now to justify selling him, may as well give him another shot to see if he can be the player we thought he would be.

I’d have preferred him to stay but Im happy with this deal.

Yes, I doubt it would ever have been a move he'd have dreamed of, but you're probably bang on about it being a stepping stone. Not only that, if he wants to improve his international prospects, far better for him to be playing in the Championship than League One.

There is also the outside chance that Bristol City have a very good season. They were one result from the Premier League a few years back, and we've just seen Luton go up ahead of Coventry. Every dog has its day, and all that. (Not to downplay Luton's steady progress over the last few seasons, which Bristol have been some way off).

21 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Knight scored 6 in his debut season (only 1808 minutes played) and is still only 22. Bryson only bettered that once, when in his prime at 27.

Im not saying knight wont be a decent player 

what i meant was that hes not good enough for the man in the hole role … hes not good enough to play wide right not cos hes not a decent player but because it doesnt suit his skillset 

i would play him centrally , like bryson .. not saying he wont be as good but i think knight may well suffer because of his versatility and be a bit of a jamie carragher and perhaps not get the chance to to fulill his potential

its a great move for the club, we’re still well stacked centrally for mids and can now use funds potentially to get something better and more suitable for out wide/ centrally 

Edited by NottsRam77

27 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

And Knights been doing his job.  If a company terminated your contract they still have the same notice period and still pay you.  

In relation to Ireland, they were qualifiers.  He’d have played.  Friendlies, maybe not.  You’d have to exceptionally risk averse to not even include him in training.

I'm not sure where you going with this.

You were taking about someone handing in their notice and applying it to Loach.  Now your referring to Knight having a terminated contract.

If your company terminates your contract they'll pay you unless it's in the conditions you agreed to.  If you hand in your notice you do the job till you leave. In terms of a footballer however, if they're basically headhunted and the contracts bought out at a financial agreement with you, then you wouldn't risk damaging that asset with training if the contracts agreed pre medical.

20 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I'm not sure where you going with this.

You were taking about someone handing in their notice and applying it to Loach.  Now your referring to Knight having a terminated contract.

If your company terminates your contract they'll pay you unless it's in the conditions you agreed to.  If you hand in your notice you do the job till you leave. In terms of a footballer however, if they're basically headhunted and the contracts bought out at a financial agreement with you, then you wouldn't risk damaging that asset with training if the contracts agreed pre medical.

You said no sane organisation would continue to pay someone who was no longer going to be there.  I’m giving you examples of how it happens everyday.  Never said anything about Knight having his contract terminated.

4 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

You said no sane organisation would continue to pay someone who was no longer going to be there.  I’m giving you examples of how it happens everyday.  Never said anything about Knight having his contract terminated.

We're at cross purposes here then.  Obviously not on the same page

On 09/07/2023 at 16:35, NottsRammy said:

Must be watching a completely different player to me , you can run around all day long but dont do nothing with it .

you need a mix of players in any squad. No one is arguing he’s iniesta or even bannon in terms of creativity. But he could claim to have been our motm in over 20 games in the last couple of seasons which tells you something. So does the market - he’ll go for say 2m which puts him at the top of our list of most valuable players by some margin  

20 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

you need a mix of players in any squad. No one is arguing he’s iniesta or even bannon in terms of creativity. But he could claim to have been our motm in over 20 games in the last couple of seasons which tells you something. So does the market - he’ll go for say 2m which puts him at the top of our list of most valuable players by some margin  

Cashin 🤔

40 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

@Ellafella has all the averaged player ratings from the past two seasons. WhoScored have him down as MOTM in 3 games over the past two seasons, same as Sibley. 

I’d guess that Knight will probably have the highest rating in our side in 10-15 games out of the last 92 (plus cup games). It would be interesting to get the breakdown of how many times a player has been rated the best, average rating, etc. Not sure if they were ever published. I can’t find them on here when searching. 

49 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

@Ellafella has all the averaged player ratings from the past two seasons. WhoScored have him down as MOTM in 3 games over the past two seasons, same as Sibley. 

I’d guess that Knight will probably have the highest rating in our side in 10-15 games out of the last 92 (plus cup games). It would be interesting to get the breakdown of how many times a player has been rated the best, average rating, etc. Not sure if they were ever published. I can’t find them on here when searching. 

there’s a lot to be gleaned from the ratings. One observation tho is that some posters rank players by how they play relative to expectations. So if Knight does his usual thing, he’s a 6. That undervalues his contribution because his usual thing is better than the next man’s usual thing. A similar  example is Wildsmith who - particularly early in the season - was delivering flawless performances. But for that he was mostly getting 7.5, 8 at best. Because it was what we had begun to expect 

1 minute ago, JJH said:

Completed his medical today is the word from our end, so no issues now.

Suspect that played a part in us announcing Wilson this late - although it does seem to be our new ‘thing’. Will expect you to announce Knight 10am-ish tomorrow.

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Rumoured to have already rejected a £3m bid for him?

But only has a year left on his contract?.  Surely selling a player for 3 million with a year left, in the easiest position on the pitch to fill, would be phenomenal money if Knight for 1.75 was supposed to be good with a year left.   No-one seems that keen on this one though.  He was good first half of the season, but his patchy form second half won't see that offered again if it carries through .  A gamble to turn that down if we could attach a sell on.  

48 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Rumoured to have already rejected a £3m bid for him?

hmmm yeah ok could be true, which puts Cashin well ahead of Knight. He’s classy but at that level at this stage,  he’s trading as much on potential as past performances. He’ll become an even better footballer but he’ll never be faster or taller. If there’s serious interest at that level surely he’ll be off, not least because of the salary it implies 

Edited by kevinhectoring

9 hours ago, Ambitious said:

And that's why £2m is a fantastic deal for a player with less than a year on his contract. Very very few L1 players will go for more than that.

Can't help but think when the Ireland manager was implying that he needs to be at a club higher up the food chain, he didn't have a bottom half championship team in mind 🤣