Sheffield Wednesday (A) Sun 7th May, 12:00 KO

1 minute ago, Leeds Ram said:

I think there is a case to be made for referees in the back of their heads to maybe inculcate an 'anti-big club' bias at this level, even if it is inadvertent. I can certainly imagine a situation where a referee thinks, 'I'm not going to be pressured by a big belligerent crowd', and then turns away perfectly good penalty decisions or gives one the opposite way. I think that kind of dynamic is possible because, quite frankly, after some of the performances I've seen this season from officials, it's either that or they're absolutely terrible at their jobs. 

Or both.

32 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

I think there is a case to be made for referees in the back of their heads to maybe inculcate an 'anti-big club' bias at this level, even if it is inadvertent. I can certainly imagine a situation where a referee thinks, 'I'm not going to be pressured by a big belligerent crowd', and then turns away perfectly good penalty decisions or gives one the opposite way. I think that kind of dynamic is possible because, quite frankly, after some of the performances I've seen this season from officials, it's either that or they're absolutely terrible at their jobs. 

But for that to be the case, and the observer to be impressed, then the observer would need to be similarly biased.

I can imagine the observer being impressed if the officials refused to be influenced by a large home crowd but not to the extent of not giving a perfectly good penalty or incorrectly giving a penalty to the opposition.

4 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

One million percent McGoldrick, isn't it? FFS.

If it is we'll just have to battle out a draw (I can imagine Posh some how winning at Barnsley but surely not by three clear goals) or scrape a win and save him for next Friday. It's all part of the masterplan. 🐏

On 03/05/2023 at 22:03, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I'm just not seeing that.  Last few times I've seen him he's been lazily offside or seemingly comatose to the point I've forgot he's playing and that's against defenders with an hour in the legs when he's come on.  

I’m not so sure. He hardly got the ball 

3 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

Sorry, but I have to call this out. As a referee and someone who knows how observers work, nothing could be further from the truth. They are judged on getting the decisions right, nothing more. The size of crowd, hostility etc has nothing whatsoever to do with it. Give an incorrect penalty "against Derby in front of 30k at Pride Park or sending a Wednesday player off in front of 20k at Hillsborough" and you'll be marked down, simple as that. 

There's only one way to show how adept they at "dealing with hostile crowds/situations & deserving of higher profile fixtures", and that's managing the players, managing the game and getting the decisions correct. Nothing more. I know your opinion feeds into the ridiculous conspiracy that someone everyone is against us, but I'm afraid it's just incorrect. 

No need to apologise - its a forum so I'd expect opinions to be challenged, particularly by someone who clearly knows the system better than I do!

Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting referees were giving clearly incorrect decisions to impress observers but there is an element of subjectivity with some decisions that don't necessarily fall into correct/incorrect - penalty calls being the most obvious. It clearly takes courage to award decisions against a hostile large home crowd, courage is a key trait for a successful refereeing career & that may be a factor with those marginal calls.

As I said in my previous post, I don't believe it is a conspiracy against Derby specifically but there is a lot of noise from the bigger clubs at this level about the refereeing hence my theory. Just with regard to impressing observers with decisions made in hostile environments, clearly incorrect decisions didn't do Stuart Atwell's career much harm - interested in your thoughts on his trajectory.

Edited by LeedsCityRam

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

But for that to be the case, and the observer to be impressed, then the observer would need to be similarly biased.

I can imagine the observer being impressed if the officials refused to be influenced by a large home crowd but not to the extent of not giving a perfectly good penalty or incorrectly giving a penalty to the opposition.

I'm not saying the observer would be impressed by it; that wasn't my claim. But, I'd also not automatically dismiss the possibility that observers can have a range of biases that influence their interpretation of what was a 'correct decision' within reasonable parameters. I read a piece in the Guardian that went through the observer process, and the differing interpretations of decisions, even after the fact, were remarkable. Of course, there are many incidents which are cut and dried, 'yes' and 'no', but there is also a lot of room for interpretation between those variances.