Curtis

Woodley Ram

I've seen all the greats in my 55 years watching DCFC, McKay, McFarland, Todd, Magrath, Wright, Stimac are just a few, CD wasn't in their class imo...but what a player to have playing along side of you, That Reading headed goal will forever be in my memory bank.

So thanks CD you done us proud...never to be forgotten 

Thank You👍

Edited by The Last Post

Brilliant person, leader and character definitely not a legend as we haven’t had such successes but what we can say is he is Mr Derby County who led by example , was a rock during a difficult time he will be missed but the wages will be beneficial 

He wasn't the most talented on the ball, he didn't ooze class like McGrath or Igor, but if you wanted a player to stick his head in front of a shot to save a match for you, it was Curtis. The pain he must have been in to play every minute of the relegation season at his age must have been incredible. I just wish he could have gone out lifting the playoff trophy.

They'll be hard boots to fill, and there will be a leadership chasm in the dressing room. 

53 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

I've seen all the greats in my 55 years watching DCFC, McKay, McFarland, Todd, Magrath, Wright, Stimac are just a few, CD wasn't in their class imo...but what a player to have playing along side of you, That Reading headed goal will forever be in my memory bank.

Thank You👍

And mine… 

06BE2D6F-582B-4105-B409-BCEED6AE5FA5.jpeg

59 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

Thank You👍

And running out onto the pitch against Sheff Weds, so unexpected and so necessary for us. #Legend

His attitude is something that every player would benefit from having. A great bloke, a real leader on and off the field and never once during his 6 years here can anyone ever have questioned his commitment to the club. All the best for whatever the future holds Curtis. I could imagine him doing extremely well in the media if that's what he decides, but I'm absolutely certain he would make a top manager. 

I have only been a real Ram for 10 years so don’t have the in the blood history of so many on this forum, but Curtis is easily, by that famous country mile, my favourite player. Not for skill or trophies won, but because he epitomises everything that I hold dear in sport. Courage, commitment, competitive spirit, integrity, leadership, guts. What a man. Thank you ! 

Edited by jono

I don't really care about Sunday, and how it ended for Curtis at Derby. It's a shame it did end that way, but he won't be remembered for that moment. He will be remembered for his leadership, professionalism and his loyalty to Derby County over the last 6 years. We've been through a pretty rough last few years, there are many who turned their backs on us, walked away, acted like they cared about the Club but their real actions suggested otherwise. Curtis has done nothing but prove how much he really cares about the Club and given nothing but 100%, as a fan I don't think you can value anything in a player more than that. The term legend is banded around a lot in football, and over the last 20 or so years, we've hardly been blessed with many who could even try to claim that title. I think Curtis Davies is one of those who would have a fair shout at that though.

The highlight for me is Sheffield Wednesday at home, last game of the season, with everything on the line. Even at 36 years old, without yet recovering from what was potentially a career ending injury, he's put his own body on the line to give everything, even for just 10 minutes, to play his part in keeping us up. That alone is enough to ensure that he will always be fondly welcomed back at Pride Park, and I hope he is back soon be that as a player, or a media career he looks set to have.

One thing I will always remember will be the effort he took to talk to me after a game once. I'm a bit too old to be bothered fussing over players, asking for photos etc. When I come up for games, I tend to go into The Yard afterwards to have a drink, see the scores and wait for the footfall to die down. As I was coming out to walk into town, Curtis was walking over to his car so I just said "well played today Curtis", expecting him to just say "thanks" and carry on to his car, wouldn't have thought anything of it if he did that. Instead, he asked where I'd come up from, recognising that I didn't have a local accent. He was thanking me for the support and travelling to watch the team. I just thought that was a really genuine thing to do and shows off what kind of person he is.