Gary Lineker

Day

10 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

All 2 of them for about 6 months, please don't tell me you fell for that publicity stunt

If it was 3, you'd have said, only 3, with his money?

If he'd done it anonymously and it got out you'd said he leaked it.

I have no idea if it was a publicity stunt and neither do you, so to suggest people are gullible to think that is baffling. 

But having said that, for a man who is the highest-paid presenter on BBC TV, widely liked and admired and a multi-millionaire, I have no clue why he would need that kind of publicity. It seems a very weird thing to do. He could have just written a cheque and got the same amount of publicity and not had his life disturbed.

You have to have a pretty entrenched cynical agenda to call accepting immigrants into your home for 6 months a publicity stunt.

If he'd put a tent up and had a party for an afternoon and invited the press and TV around, then yeah, maybe. Taking people into your home for 6 months seems to me like he actually wants to help people less fortunate than himself.

What a radical idea eh?

Why does it matter what Gary Linekars political views are? I don't think his views are particularly extreme apart from being anti government which is hardly a fringe view based on the polling figures. My view might be different if he was actually interviewing politiicans.

Andrew Neil wasnt exactly politically neutral when he worked for the BBC and he was a political commentator for the channel.

The whole thing is stirred up by the political appointment at the top of the BBC and the government to keep the flames of the culture war going.

4 minutes ago, Chellaston Ram said:

I might even watch it tonight 

Not watched match of the day for years, used to be a good program but now its just a load of over paid pundits giving their opinions on what we have just watched. They are only on there because  they have got to much money and not got the brains to do anything else.

12 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

If it was 3, you'd have said, only 3, with his money?

If he'd done it anonymously and it got out you'd said he leaked it.

I have no idea if it was a publicity stunt and neither do you, so to suggest people are gullible to think that is baffling. 

But having said that, for a man who is the highest-paid presenter on BBC TV, widely liked and admired and a multi-millionaire, I have no clue why he would need that kind of publicity. It seems a very weird thing to do. He could have just written a cheque and got the same amount of publicity and not had his life disturbed.

You have to have a pretty entrenched cynical agenda to call accepting immigrants into your home for 6 months a publicity stunt.

If he'd put a tent up and had a party for an afternoon and invited the press and TV around, then yeah, maybe. Taking people into your home for 6 months seems to me like he actually wants to help people less fortunate than himself.

What a radical idea eh?

I'm sure you'll recall that he took the refugee(s) in after being called out and asked if he was so bothered why didn't he take some in himself. (Conveniently he then remembered to declare that he had been thinking of doing it for a while).

Pay all of his tax that is due and that will be another £5m that can go toward helping people less fortunate than himself. 

What a radical idea eh?

Edited by G STAR RAM

10 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

Not watched match of the day for years, used to be a good program but now its just a load of over paid pundits giving their opinions on what we have just watched. They are only on there because  they have got to much money and not got the brains to do anything else.

I am the same that’s why I might watch it 

Be interesting to see their viewing figures after tonights MOTD. I haven’t watched it for years all the way through. I can’t be doing with all the talking before, during & after. Sky should do the same, that’s even worse. 

Edited by Mr. P

1 hour ago, sage said:

Wow

We really are in a culture war.

It's all about taking sides and using any justification to take a side

We all need self-awareness lessons. This thread is great at that. 

We've got cancel culture being slammed from both sides when it suits, people defending tax evasion when it suits, people defending slightly offensive language being changed In books, then defending the opposite in Tweets when it suits. 

The hypocrisy and lack of self-awareness from most people, including myself, is astounding. And we all say it with such conviction whilst being dicks to each other. 

Ah well.

I haven't got a TV licence so won't be watching anyway, but MotD (or any highlights show for that matter) without presenters does appeal. 

You can watch 5-10 mins worth of highlights on youtube shortly after games have been played without the tedious analysis, the presenters had better be careful, after the drama has died down some people might enjoy just watching the football.

4 minutes ago, Norman said:

We've got cancel culture being slammed from both sides when it suits, people defending tax evasion when it suits, people defending slightly offensive language being changed In books, then defending the opposite in Tweets when it suits. 

The hypocrisy and lack of self-awareness from most people, including myself, is astounding. And we all say it with such conviction whilst being dicks to each other. 

Ah well.

I'm self aware and still a dick to be fair.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'd find it hard to turn down the volume on a programme that I don't watch but thanks for the suggestion!

Ahem...

12 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I want to watch football not listen to their completely inane drivel.

Was only joking matey. Do you honestly believe I give AF, one way or t'other? 

FWIW though, you do seem incredibly triggered by the comments of a TV presenter (of a show you don't even watch) on his personal Twatter feed, that you presumably don't read either.

It's almost like you're getting offended over nothing much at all. 

8 minutes ago, Norman said:

Ah well.

You wouldn’t think we all have one thing in common.

2 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Ahem...

Was only joking matey. Do you honestly believe I give AF, one way or t'other? 

FWIW though, you do seem incredibly triggered by the comments of a TV presenter (of a show you don't even watch) on his personal Twatter feed, that you presumably don't read either.

It's almost like you're getting offended over nothing much at all. 

Not offended in the slightest, I'd be more offended if he was actually silenced (which he clearly hasnt been). 

I'd like his comments to become more public actually so a grown up discussion can be had about them and his hypocrisy questioned.