Football is done

I’m trying to tell myself that the pundits (why do we need 3 no marks?) have to justify their presence and keep talking about something, and that may be hard, but no excuse for ‘winning penalties’ and ‘he had every right to go down’. Don’t excuse cheating, don’t bring conning the ref into football as a new skill, it’s ruined the game already 

8 hours ago, Jourdan said:

If VAR was in League 1, it likely gets overturned for simulation.

But it’s not and we know referees have quick decisions to make and can make mistakes whilst having to do that.

I am not saying it’s right but we know modern players are well versed in simulation and the only way you can get around that is by making a challenge you are going to win or not at all.

I don't want VAR at any level. Even more so in L1, the standard of refereeing is so bad we would spend just as long checking VAR and correcting decisions as in open play.

12 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

I don't want VAR at any level. Even more so in L1, the standard of refereeing is so bad we would spend just as long checking VAR and correcting decisions as in open play.

Yes but the FA can ban people for Diving and should do so as well and fines

11 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

White made contact. Benefit of doubt to the attacker? 

It was a penalty.

Used to be in the Laws that a player caused an opponent to end up on the floor. Causality has been removed from the wording. It should be put back.

According to the current wording, the smallest, feather-like touch is enough for a penalty to be awarded. It's making a mockery of the game.

Interesting to see all this indignation about cheats, referees and commentators etc. 

Football has always valued the ability to take unfair advantage and to con the officials. Most on here will think that White should have taken out their player in the build up to the first goal! That is certainly the view of Sean Barker. Every team wastes time when winning! Shirt holding is a given at corners as is blocking the keeper. Going down in the box at the slightest contact wins games and is valued. If say Dobbin had won that pen he would be lauded on here as having shown his maturity and being professional.

If we decide to watch football then it’s all part of the jeopardy and we are left helpless, at the mercy of the officials who have the unenviable job of making decisions on the spot. 

Yep we lost the game and the pen played a part, that’s football. There is no conspiracy if we had made better decisions in attack or taken our chances then we would have won! Or are our players also part of this conspiracy?

It’s nonsense it’s Football. A game where to take advantage is professional and mistakes are a given.

It was like a Plymouth love in on Sky. The commentators were clearly supporting Plymouth.

It was never a penalty. White's little toe may have contacted the Plymouth players big toe but it was in no way enough to have any effect on the Plymouth player. The ref couldn't wait to give the penalty. 

What was really getting on my nerves was when the female host kept saying Harvey white brought down the Plymouth guy. That was not true. The guy dived, there was no criticism of that. Then them going on about how Plymouth got such a great record at home, yes because the referees just give you stuff. 

Well hacked off today. Well done to all the fans that travelled.

1 hour ago, WestStandStartTheBounce said:

It was like a Plymouth love in on Sky. The commentators were clearly supporting Plymouth.

It was never a penalty. White's little toe may have contacted the Plymouth players big toe but it was in no way enough to have any effect on the Plymouth player. The ref couldn't wait to give the penalty. 

What was really getting on my nerves was when the female host kept saying Harvey white brought down the Plymouth guy. That was not true. The guy dived, there was no criticism of that. Then them going on about how Plymouth got such a great record at home, yes because the referees just give you stuff. 

Well hacked off today. Well done to all the fans that travelled.

As soon as I heard the pundits accent I knew which way it was going to go.

It was clearly cheating. No doubt in my mind. The way the guy went down is so obviously out of context with the situation and proximity of White. Sky commentators' responses clearly approbating cheating. The lack of honesty throughout the game now is appalling. The referee clearly below standard - within a couple of minutes apologises to our player "if I got the wrong decision". Beggars belief.    

Compare their player diving to win the penalty with Sibley bouncing straight back up when Matete went through him, making it incredibly easy for the ref to not even give a foul for a tackle that was an easy yellow.

I am not saying I want our players to cheat but we are far too nice at times. You used to be able to rely on Sibley to play on the edge and be aggressive but even he seems to play like a nice kind boy now. Was a bit of a worry that would happen when he was cast aside for months last season because he picked up the odd yellow. 

Only Knight seems to be willing to make life difficult for a referee and it’s something he’s very good at. 

I could see that decision coming, I even said to my wife 2 minutes before "watch the ref give them a dodgy penalty". 

It was preceded by a couple of poor decisions, Dobbin barged in the back just outside their box and nothing given, followed by Roberts jumping high to head the ball with 100% focus on the ball whilst their player had no intention to go for the ball and had his eyes on Roberts only, resulting in Roberts going completely over the top and being fortunate not to fall awkwardly. The result, a free kick to them, just outside our area, backed up by biased Sky.

Going back to the Shrewsbury  game, I remember Cashin nearly having the shirt ripped off his back in full view of the ref, at a corner in the first half. Had it been given, I think that the outcome would have been different. This season minimal or imaginary contact has been sufficient for us to concede a penalty, on the other hand nothing short of shooting one of players has warranted us getting a penalty, with the exception of Fleetwood.

How many of the penalties we have conceded this season have not been accompanied with an obvious dive?

It would be interesting if Rams TV could do a feature examining the penalties that we have conceded.

The last time I watched us on sky(through now tv) was Birmingham a couple of seasons ago. The commentator, presenter, pundits all made out it was a good game, it wasn't both sides were awful, that Lee Bowyer was a tactical genius, basically a bunch of journeymen bullied a team of kids ,and that Troy Deeney signing for Birmingham was equalivant to Ronhaldo going back to Man Utd Jeez even blues fans aren't that sad I vowed from then on to stick with Ed Dawes and all his faults until last night. I,ve been laid up with a prolapsed disc so haven't been to a game since Bolton so decided to watch. Didn't put i on till 8 to miss the pre match drivel but did watch those three nobodies after. Pathetic absolutely pathetic. As the chant says sky tv ducking s***!!

I have a mate who's a Plymouth fan. Just seen him and said 'Don't even begin to tell me that wasnt a dive'...

He said 'There was contact on his toe'...  I nearly throttled him!

He then said he was watching with his lad and they both shouted 'Penalty'...before seeing the replay whereby he said 'Well he's kinda bought that one'...

And then had to explain that to his lad..

He then said to me 'We were definitely the best team after 20mins so deserved it'.

Football fans....all the same really...cheating barstewards when it suits.

Edited by Chester40

35 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

I have a mate who's a Plymouth fan. Just seen him and said 'Don't even begin to tell me that wasnt a dive'...

He said 'There was contact on his toe'...  I nearly throttled him!

He then said he was watching with his lad and they both shouted 'Penalty'...before seeing the replay whereby he said 'Well he's kinda bought that one'...

And then had to explain that to his lad..

He then said to me 'We were definitely the best team after 20mins so deserved it'.

Football fans....all the same really...cheating barstewards when it suits.

Just goes to show it’s all about the lens we watch the game through!

9 hours ago, nottingram said:

Compare their player diving to win the penalty with Sibley bouncing straight back up when Matete went through him, making it incredibly easy for the ref to not even give a foul for a tackle that was an easy yellow.

I am not saying I want our players to cheat but we are far too nice at times. You used to be able to rely on Sibley to play on the edge and be aggressive but even he seems to play like a nice kind boy now. Was a bit of a worry that would happen when he was cast aside for months last season because he picked up the odd yellow. 

Only Knight seems to be willing to make life difficult for a referee and it’s something he’s very good at. 

Knight is the bravest player I've seen for years. He deliberately runs directly in front of players knowing they will have to foul him or allow him to take the ball forward. He knows he will be kicked but does it every match.

He's the opposite of the cheating divers, he actually puts himself into a position where he knows he'll be fouled.

I remember the Italian ref Collini responding to a question of why did he think he was one of the best referees and he said regarding penalties DO NOT give a pen unless you are 100 per cent that it is a pen because you're in effect giving a team a goal and if you're not 100 per cent don't give it.

Funny how players didn't simulate so much when he was in charge of a game because they knew he would not give penalties easily 

If this stance of ONLY giving a pen if 100 per cent sure was followed it would be a massive step in the right direction