Football is done

1 hour ago, Grumpy Git said:

'So cleverly', so cleverly my arse, he's a cheating barstard.

What got me was, they were top, we were bottom, losing 3-1 with 1 minute to go. Absolutely no need to cheat. I wonder how many more of his "goals" should never have been.

Fantastic player, no doubt about that but one has to question his apparent need to cheat just to bump his "stats" up. Hardly a role model...

53 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I'm chuckling at the irony of how many people would have gladly taken back Chris Martin since he left us.

It's all very well when they're cheating FOR us.

Absolutely.

So much drivel on this thread.

1) Football was done in 1992.

2) If Dobbin had gone down in the opposite box with the same contact, and got us a 2-1 win he would have been a hero, and football would be ok again, and this thread would have never existed.

3) All this EFL influenced officialdom is boring. Most refs are crap in this division, and the Championship. Stop bloody moaning.

Ok. I feel better for that. As you were.

Edited by i-Ram

6 hours ago, Carnero said:

Unless denying a clear goalscoring chance, I've always thought it would be better if only a free kick were awarded for "fouls" like the other night, rather than a free shot at goal from 12 yards.

In the case of most penalties the punishment clearly doesn't fit the crime and this in itself encourages diving in the box.

This x1000. Laws need changing. 

Would be interesting to see how many pens were given when the was even a reasonable chance of a goal, let alone a clear chance. Like an XG of when the pen occurred.

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

I'm chuckling at the irony of how many people would have gladly taken back Chris Martin since he left us.

It's all very well when they're cheating FOR us.

Martin went down easily, but I don't remember much outright diving?

The incident I do remember, conversely, was him being fouled in the box and consequently getting sent off for simulation against Burnley... 

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

Absolutely.

2) If Dobbin had gone down in the opposite box with the same contact, and got us a 2-1 win he would have been a hero, and football would be ok again, and this thread would have never existed.

3) All this EFL influenced officialdom is boring. Most refs are crap in this division, and the Championship. Stop bloody moaning.

I understand it is the default setting of many football supporters to feel that officials are against their team and to moan about it, but 'Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you'.

I think the formation of the PL that was purely financially driven has caused many problems in the top football leagues and is creating a different sort of 'product', what with the effects of parachute payments, disparity between the PL and the Championship, and now state ownership of clubs and sportswashing. It doesn't mean that football is done, but that certain aspects of competitiveness if the upper leagues currently is.

Key phrase missing is 'and the the ref gave us a penalty'. I can't recall us getting too many soft decisions this season.

I admit to being boring. So much so that after several seasons of feeling that key decisions go against us, and this affects our overall position in the league and it doesn't 'even itself out at the end of the season', that in 20/21 I kept a very nerdy spreadsheet of controversial decisions in our games, both for and against. We came out with -8 or -9 points due to these.

It's all very well taking each game one at a time and saying well, ok, that decision went against us and cost us the draw or win, but we didn't deserve the points so it doesn't matter. Football results aren't decided on performance or merit, but the scores on the doors at the end of the match. At present it feels like we need to create ourselves a goal buffer to allow for poor decisions.

Also, I like moaning.

One of the worrying things about this is the long lasting effects on the game.  When youngsters hear the pundits on Sky, etc praising the striker and calling it part of the game they’ll mimic it on a Saturday and Sunday.  This is the norm for kids playing today who will go on to be professionals 10, 15 years from now.

The creation of the PL and the money it’s generated has done some good with clubs able to have better facilities, academies, all seater stadiums, etc.  But there’s a lot bad as everyone is chasing a dream and does what they can to achieve it.  We’re a prime example.  Naively I thought football would be more honest in L1, sadly not.

And while I’m at it, VAR is partly to blame for the poor standard of officiating.  Instead of having qualified refs refereeing a game, they’re watching it on telly trying to decide if Harry Kane’s big toe was 2mm off side.  This means you have better Championship refs in the PL and so on.  And then those pundits that called for technology to be used are now criticising it.  Well they’re to blame by the endless analysis and pausing and rewinding, Sky being the worst offender.

And surely professional football should be equal in all divisions.  Here we are on L1 with no goal line technology.  How daft is that??  Talk about sending a message that decisions below the Championship are less important.  Instead of VAR it would be better to have money spent on implementing that down to L2.

Rant over!!  I must need a beer.

1 hour ago, WestKentRam said:

I understand it is the default setting of many football supporters to feel that officials are against their team and to moan about it, but 'Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you'.

I think the formation of the PL that was purely financially driven has caused many problems in the top football leagues and is creating a different sort of 'product', what with the effects of parachute payments, disparity between the PL and the Championship, and now state ownership of clubs and sportswashing. It doesn't mean that football is done, but that certain aspects of competitiveness if the upper leagues currently is.

Key phrase missing is 'and the the ref gave us a penalty'. I can't recall us getting too many soft decisions this season.

I admit to being boring. So much so that after several seasons of feeling that key decisions go against us, and this affects our overall position in the league and it doesn't 'even itself out at the end of the season', that in 20/21 I kept a very nerdy spreadsheet of controversial decisions in our games, both for and against. We came out with -8 or -9 points due to these.

It's all very well taking each game one at a time and saying well, ok, that decision went against us and cost us the draw or win, but we didn't deserve the points so it doesn't matter. Football results aren't decided on performance or merit, but the scores on the doors at the end of the match. At present it feels like we need to create ourselves a goal buffer to allow for poor decisions.

Also, I like moaning.

In 20/21 I kept a very nerdy spreadsheet of controversial decisions in our Club, both for and against. We came out with -21 points due to these. Football is done.

4 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Absolutely.

Ok back on your heads ? lol