V Plymouth (a) 7th March 20.00

Boycie

Didn't deserve to lose that. We controlled the second half until they broke through White and got a spawny goal. Then their tales are up and the ref falls for a dive. White shouldn't have had his leg dangling, but still, it's NEVER a penalty. I was worried at halftime that at times the pressing in midfield left the back 4 overly isolated. White cannot play that role and should only play as a playmaker in a midfield 3 i.e., the hourihane role. Not only did the first goal come from White getting done too easily, Roberts just didn't track back quick enough meaning the defence got too narrow leading to the space on that side. 

I must admit my patience has snapped with these officials. When that penalty was given I almost accidentally threw the remote through the tv and I still can't understand how it was given. It feels like every week they fu** up to a game-changing degree now and has cost us 4 points this week really. I think the club should look into making a formal complaint to the league (as forest has done over var decisions) because it's getting borderline ridiculous at this point. 

On a final note, I don't fancy Plymouth for autos. I think they'll lose at Barnsley and be overhauled by them or Ipswich. They weren't that impressive tonight and didn't look as good as Barnsley the other week. Hope just for that shocking dive they stay down. 

3 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

And yet without his contributions so far this season we’d be worse off. Can’t you see objectively that he has contributed to the teams position in the league? Yes he could have scored some chances that went begging, but if he hadn’t scored or assisted others we’d be worse off. It’s hard not to think you’re just on the wind up when the majority of your contributions to this thread started after we conceded and I reckon the vast majority of your other posts are just attacks on one player. IT IS A TEAM SPORT! The team didn’t perform well enough, Dobbin couldn’t win the game on his own today any more than Collins, Mendez Laing, McGoldrick, Knight, Hourihane, Sibley et al, yet he’s the only one you single out AGAIN. It’s so tedious.

He is never going to persuade me unless he knuckles down and starts to change or control games ! So far he has maybe made his mark in the odd game but generally goes hiding. 

1 minute ago, ariotofmyown said:

What are these pundits on about? You can clearly see him throw himself whilst in the air.

Are the rules "if there is the minute possibility of any contact in the box, and the attacker throws himself to floor as if he has been hacked, then that definitely deserves a free shot at goal from the spot"?

Jamie Mackie basically admitting he cheated before concluding it was the correct decision tells me all I need to know about what has happened to the once beautiful game.

9 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

There could be a solution with the same players that started today in  different positions. Move Knight to right back, put Smith as the DM protecting the back 4 then get Hourihane and Knight as the pressing/more attacking midfielders. I know it wastes some of what Knight has but we need a solution to the midfield conundrum for sure, we’re like a creme egg at the minute, soft and gooey in the middle 

Rooney at RB, Smith DM as you say, keep Knight in midfield and rotate him and Hourihane with Sibs and White.

Then when Bird returns, Smith can return to RB.

I was concerned that White as DM away from home wasn’t going to work.

5 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

This bunch of renegades were 16 games unbeaten, without ever looking like losing. Last seven games have been a real turn around from that. Three defeats and some pretty poor performances. Bird being injured can’t be the sole reason.

also the having a club to support so be happy thing is getting old for me. That’s in the past, I want to look at the league and think how we progress and get back to the championship. Can’t just turn up and be blindly happy forever because of last season.

So how do we progress and get back to the championship? The answer arguably lies in recruitment and developing the players and systems to do so. Which there’s no quick way to do it, especially with restrictions in place. It’s hard to say the past is in the past and that’s that when it’s still impacting the club in the present. We’re doing very well to be where we are after what happened last season and in the summer, we still have a chance to go up with the likely route being the playoffs, if we don’t then the recruitment has to build on this season so we can ideally challenge and go up next year. It’s not happy clapping or naivety to talk about being happy to have a club and look at where we were to where we are, it’s realistic in my view. We could be doing better, we could be doing a whole lot worse, let’s see how the season ends up. 

2 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

We had a 1-0 lead and we didn’t manage it  

Fair enough we ultimately didn't but you can't legislate for a deflected goal and a dodgy penalty. On another day Cashins block spins out for a corner, we also get a decent ref who doesn't fall for the dive and we come away with the spoils.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda I know but I don't think they were much better than us overall. Do you? 

2 minutes ago, InstaRam said:

Outfought and outthought against a okay team. But our players really looked second best in most situations today. Can't really see the fight from last season in them. The biggest concern seems to be that we doesn't really seem to have a clear ambition of how to play. Try to find McGoldrick and hope he can create some magic isn't sustainable. Also the decision making of some of our players seem dodgy. Managed to transform some great opportunities to shots in our box at times. Hopefully we can turn it around again but I am really worried now. We might actually miss play off which would be a surprise since most of the teams in this division looks really mediocre.  

Not for the entire game. In the first half we were the better team. Same as Saturday.

Sadly, it all seems so predictable. Here is a message I sent to an Arsenal friend of mine at half team after he said Derby were the better team and Plymouth looked nervy:

"Time to see how good their manager is at half time talks. They'll probably change formation or something and Derby will fail to respond. Derby rarely, if ever, have two good halves"

Massive well done to Rams fans who made a real noise there tonight 

I watched on tv and a few points 

Korey Smith is a good player but makes the wrong decisions in the final third 

Barks should’ve done better with the header 

we desperately lack a pacey striker 

Dobbin showed naivety when he came on often dribbling for the sake of it and then playing push and run when he just needed to play it 

Collins when he came on just goes around giving needless free kicks away 

Jason Knight needs to play further forward in midfield 

we can still win play offs but we need to be much better but Plymouth were not great at all 

Just now, OssieEnd said:

Heart goes out to ALL the Rams who journeyed down . Deserved better. This team lacks STEEL. 

We are badly missing George Williams and Van der Laan. When are they both back? White isn’t good enough. He’s fine when you are 4-0 up against Morecambe but he has neither the quality or backbone for this league I am afraid. I would rather play Thompson, at least he is our player. 

1 minute ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

I have just got back in (not from Plymouth) and was going to ask the question whether sky have had the balls to call out was a blatant dive. I’m guessing not. 

They didn’t even when the replays were on it was “well he put his foot out” ahh so it’s ok to just dive over someone’s leg

Just now, Magicman said:

He is never going to persuade me unless he knuckles down and starts to change or control games ! So far he has maybe made his mark in the odd game but generally goes hiding. 

Really do think you’re expecting a bit much from a young loanee. As I’ve pointed out to you before (in one eye out the other) if he were this superstar player who lived up to your expectations, he wouldn’t be on loan with us. Inevitably, we aren’t going to be sent the cream of the Premier League crop; we’re a League 1 team - and not one who can pay loan fees either - so it’s slim pickings.  He’s doing OK, which is about as good as you can expect. 

2 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

I have just got back in (not from Plymouth) and was going to ask the question whether sky have had the balls to call out was a blatant dive. I’m guessing not. 

Nope, apparently its all part of the game and it was brilliant positioning from the referee to see the dive, I mean foul.

2 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Would we get the goal scrubbed out if they did call out the penalty to be a blatant dive?