Craig Forsyth - served 10 years

IslandExile

(Murderers have served less ?)

Anyhow, well done to a magnificent servant to the club, a great ambassador and a decent player. Thank you.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64834351

"My kids love it, they love singing the songs in the car on the way to the game. "

?...Mendez-Lang...? Ah herm.

Still think he was vastly under-appreciated as a left-back for us. 

In his first two seasons he was the best arguably the best left-back in the division, only Charlie Daniels really would also be in contention.

He came back from his first two ACL injuries to win his place back from Olsson who had been Blackburn’s POTS before joining us.

He then fought off £3,000,000 signing Scott Malone, who himself was coming off of being named in the league TOTS and a season in the Prem to keep his starting place before his third ACL.

I never got it. He’s one of those players that when he has a stinker he has a STINKER but they were always only ever once or twice a season.

Fozzy has been an exceptional servant for our club, no more so than this year when he has been a rock playing in an unusual position for him. He has the occasional slip up but so does everyone, we tend to pick up on the odd misplaced pass from a defender far more than we do a forward who blazes over the bar! There are lots of reasons I want us to go back up this year but one of them would be a fitting reward for this unassuming stalwart of our club. To have the guts and dedication to come back from so many operations and still be willing to put his body on the line he has my complete admiration.

I love Fozzy. Always have, always will. Some of his crossing during Mac1 was glorious.

To have the determination to come back from the major injuries, reinvent yourself and be one of the top performers after 10 years is a great achievement and testament to his character.

Seems like a thoroughly decent bloke too. That's important to a club like ours and seems to help the young lads stay grounded.

The man's an absolute warrior. For many, a single ligament injury can signal the end of a career but to to fully recover from three ACLs is truly remarkable. I can't fathom how anyone could endure that amount of physical rehab of the deeply unpleasant kind just to play football, but Fozzy has done it quietly and without fuss. Not only that, but here he is with 10 years under his belt, still churning out MOTM level performances almost weekly.

As @spondon_ram suggests, a testimonial is very much in order, though David Clowes might easily be forgiven for having more pressing concerns in during this particular season. I'm certain though that the owners will do something for him when the opportunity presents and equally sure the fans will turn out in droves to show their support and admiration when they do. I also think that should he wish to, he'd make a great coach and mentor for our younger lads when his career as a player is finally over. 

I've had 2 ACLs on the same knee and can barely muster a slow waddle.

Mind, being a couple of stone overweight might be a contributory factor.....

.....and being in my late 50s....? 

Anyway..thank you Craig, for sticking with us. Hope you carry on and play a full part Ii n our romp up the championship in 2023-24

It’s quite the achievement in the modern game and he’s repaid that initial 150k we paid for him, many, many times over.

I’m a big fan of Fozzy. Yes he has games when he looks like a pub player, but on the whole he’s been one of the most consistent and better players in his time at the club, which is amazing really.

Then when you factor in the injuries he’s had to overcome, even his fiercest critics have to begrudgingly congratulate him.

Fingers crossed he’s got another year in him with us!

15 hours ago, RodleyRam said:

I love Fozzy. Always have, always will. Some of his crossing during Mac1 was glorious.

To have the determination to come back from the major injuries, reinvent yourself and be one of the top performers after 10 years is a great achievement and testament to his character.

Seems like a thoroughly decent bloke too. That's important to a club like ours and seems to help the young lads stay grounded.

Agreed.Doubt we will see another 10 servant ,the way modern football is. Hope he has won over the fans that used to give him stick. Last of Nigel’s very good signings.

13 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

The man's an absolute warrior. For many, a single ligament injury can signal the end of a career but to to fully recover from three ACLs is truly remarkable. I can't fathom how anyone could endure that amount of physical rehab of the deeply unpleasant kind just to play football, but Fozzy has done it quietly and without fuss. Not only that, but here he is with 10 years under his belt, still churning out MOTM level performances almost weekly.

As @spondon_ram suggests, a testimonial is very much in order, though David Clowes might easily be forgiven for having more pressing concerns in during this particular season. I'm certain though that the owners will do something for him when the opportunity presents and equally sure the fans will turn out in droves to show their support and admiration when they do. I also think that should he wish to, he'd make a great coach and mentor for our younger lads when his career as a player is finally over. 

When a player is granted a testimonial season, it's no more than a free pass to use the facilities and staff. Dinners, concerts and the like at the stadium they get free of charge, and any profit is theirs. Once a testimonial has been granted, the player then organises a committee who do all the planning and organisation for him.

7 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

When a player is granted a testimonial season, it's no more than a free pass to use the facilities and staff. Dinners, concerts and the like at the stadium they get free of charge, and any profit is theirs. Once a testimonial has been granted, the player then organises a committee who do all the planning and organisation for him.

It's not though is it?

It's a match, typically a friendly, that is organised by the club with all gate receipts going to the player for whom the testimonial is being held.

20 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

It's not though is it?

It's a match, typically a friendly, that is organised by the club with all gate receipts going to the player for whom the testimonial is being held.

No. Everything, dinners, events etc as well as a testimonial game are organised by the committee the player puts together. The club facilitates the match, makes rooms available and no more than that.

1 hour ago, MadAmster said:

No. Everything, dinners, events etc as well as a testimonial game are organised by the committee the player puts together. The club facilitates the match, makes rooms available and no more than that.

Yes.

What is a testimonial match in football?

A testimonial match is a game that is played in order to honour a player who has given a significant term of service to a particular club.

Generally speaking, testimonials are reserved for footballers who have been at a club for roughly 10 years or more and they are usually held at the end of their service, when they retire.

Sometimes, the player being honoured will play a half for each team, with squads normally made up of a mixture of past and present team-mates.

Testimonial matches are friendly in nature and non-competitive, but don't be fooled - that doesn't necessarily preclude rough play among old friends and foes!

Why do footballers have testimonial matches?

Historically, the purpose of a testimonial match was to raise money for the player who is being honoured.

The tradition developed during a time when a career in elite level football was not as lucrative as it is today and the testimonial was a final gesture of good will from a club to an individual.

Money raised through gate receipts and donations would then be given to the player in question as a sort retirement or soft-landing fund as they prepare for the next phase of their life.

Nowadays, since players at the top of the game - such as the Premier League - earn more, some of the money raised by testimonials is also given to a charity or charities chosen by the player being honoured.

What is your point anyway? Are you saying he should not have one? Seems like a pointless conversation otherwise.

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

After more than 10 years of mostly Championship level wages, Fozzy has probably earned more than a lot of us during our full working life. Therefore, unless he's been reckless he doesn't need the money raised from a testimonial.

However, I wouldn't be against such a game in order for us to show our appreciation of his services to the club (albeit he has been well paid during that time). Maybe a testimonial with proceeds going to the charity of his choice? 

I don't know if there would be enough time to arrange a game after the season has ended (probably not) as I'm not sure we need the distraction of trying to organise anything just now.