Craig Forsyth - served 10 years

IslandExile

56 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Yes.

What is a testimonial match in football?

A testimonial match is a game that is played in order to honour a player who has given a significant term of service to a particular club.

Generally speaking, testimonials are reserved for footballers who have been at a club for roughly 10 years or more and they are usually held at the end of their service, when they retire.

Sometimes, the player being honoured will play a half for each team, with squads normally made up of a mixture of past and present team-mates.

Testimonial matches are friendly in nature and non-competitive, but don't be fooled - that doesn't necessarily preclude rough play among old friends and foes!

Why do footballers have testimonial matches?

Historically, the purpose of a testimonial match was to raise money for the player who is being honoured.

The tradition developed during a time when a career in elite level football was not as lucrative as it is today and the testimonial was a final gesture of good will from a club to an individual.

Money raised through gate receipts and donations would then be given to the player in question as a sort retirement or soft-landing fund as they prepare for the next phase of their life.

Nowadays, since players at the top of the game - such as the Premier League - earn more, some of the money raised by testimonials is also given to a charity or charities chosen by the player being honoured.

What is your point anyway? Are you saying he should not have one? Seems like a pointless conversation otherwise.

The point being that it's a testimonial year, not just a one off match, it usually includes other events as well such as dinners, and it gets organised by a committee put together by the player.

Here is an excerpt from the tax issues around a testimonial... it mentions independent testimonial committees and a number of events... Just trying to get the point over that it's more than a one off match when the 10 years has been completed. Others, Tin Man, for example, who was granted one due to his amputation. had the match only, if I remember correctly

Note that as announced at Autumn Statement 2015, from 6 April 2017 all income from sporting testimonials and benefit matches for employed sportspersons will be liable to income tax and National Insurance contributions (NICs).

However, there is a ‘one-off’ exemption of £100,000 for events held during a single testimonial or in a testimonial year available for employed sportspersons with income from sporting testimonials or benefit matches that are not contractual or customary. This means that independent testimonial committees will need to operate PAYE where the total proceeds from a non-contractual sporting testimonial or benefit match (or a number of events comprising a testimonial year) for an employed sportsperson exceed £100,000. The exemption applies to income received from non-contractual, non-customary sporting testimonial events held on or after 6 April 2017 where the testimonial was awarded on or after 25 November 2015. 

19 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

The point being that it's a testimonial year, not just a one off match, it usually includes other events as well such as dinners, and it gets organised by a committee put together by the player.

Here is an excerpt from the tax issues around a testimonial... it mentions independent testimonial committees and a number of events... Just trying to get the point over that it's more than a one off match when the 10 years has been completed. Others, Tin Man, for example, who was granted one due to his amputation. had the match only, if I remember correctly

Note that as announced at Autumn Statement 2015, from 6 April 2017 all income from sporting testimonials and benefit matches for employed sportspersons will be liable to income tax and National Insurance contributions (NICs).

However, there is a ‘one-off’ exemption of £100,000 for events held during a single testimonial or in a testimonial year available for employed sportspersons with income from sporting testimonials or benefit matches that are not contractual or customary. This means that independent testimonial committees will need to operate PAYE where the total proceeds from a non-contractual sporting testimonial or benefit match (or a number of events comprising a testimonial year) for an employed sportsperson exceed £100,000. The exemption applies to income received from non-contractual, non-customary sporting testimonial events held on or after 6 April 2017 where the testimonial was awarded on or after 25 November 2015. 

Thanks for the treatise on tax implications, but it's completely irrelevant to my my post. I think you also might want to read the last paragraph of your own post which clearly outlines scenarios for a single testimonial or a testimonial year. There is no burden of duty on a club to offer players either. Quite why you've decided to sermonise me on the point remains a mystery in any case. 

8 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Thanks for the treatise on tax implications, but it's completely irrelevant to my my post. I think you also might want to read the last paragraph of your own post which clearly outlines scenarios for a single testimonial or a testimonial year. There is no burden of duty on a club to offer players either. Quite why you've decided to sermonise me on the point remains a mystery in any case. 

Because you appear to be intimating that a testimonial is a one off game and nothing more. It os more than a one off game.

I don't think there are rules, per sé when it comes to how "Testimonials" are determined.

It always used to be "A Testimonial game" (only), but over the last couple of decades or so(?) a year of events has become a common theme... as has the more wealthy player passing on any financial gain to a charity or two.

As for The EFL, it appears they are just setting out their stall with regards to a Testimonial game... on a pitch... in a stadium.
I seriously doubt they'd want to have a say on any related events outside of a game of football.

I think we're best calling the last round of posts a draw, eh?  ?

2 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Oh lord, give me strength ?

Unless I've misread somewhere, you seem to be concentrating solely on a testimonial game.  Which of course is fair enough.
Others merely refer to a wider array of testimonial events throughout the year?  Which of course is fair enough.

If truth be told, I'm more than a tad confused with your posts in this thread, and I'm not even close to working out what your problem is with regards to comments by others, so I'll back out, and leave you to your raised eyebrows... but yes, if The Good Lord is able (or willing!), may he indeed grant you strength for many a year.  ?

On 03/03/2023 at 19:04, Gritstone Ram said:

He’d probably have about 100 more appearances if it wasn’t for injuries. 

Dunno  - fewer miles on the clock. Plus he more or less had a sabbatical when arch tactician Rooney was at the helm.  

Partly he’s underrated because he rarely look elegant on the ball. And then when he drops a baalock he looks like a total klutz. I think he played a big part in Cashin’s early coming of age 

55 minutes ago, Rev said:

Fozzy himself said yesterday on the radio, if he wants a testimonial, he has to ask the club for one and form a committee to organise it. 

I too don't see the argument in this thread.

I've simply made the point that a testimonial can be a single match and been told repeatedly that it cannot. I don't know how they come about, only that a full year is not the only option. There's no argument as such because the EFL's own rulebook clearly corroborates the point made.

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

but yes, if The Good Lord is able (or willing!), may he indeed grant you strength for many a year.  ?

Ok mate

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

• 2 months later...