Southgate to stay on as England manager

Day

Not fussed about Gareth Southgate either way. But what has been demonstrated is that having some experience of the inner workings of the fa seems to be a very useful skill set. 

Therefore, the fa would be wise to identify the successor now and get them on their payroll if possible to learn the ropes. 

They're not short of cash, seeing as they're shelling out 6m per annum for him. 

9 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Not fussed about Gareth Southgate either way. But what has been demonstrated is that having some experience of the inner workings of the fa seems to be a very useful skill set. 

Therefore, the fa would be wise to identify the successor now and get them on their payroll if possible to learn the ropes. 

They're not short of cash, seeing as they're shelling out 6m per annum for him. 

Excellent post

Caught us all by surprise. ?

Edited by sage

Being England manager requires a different skillet to club football. Successful club managers don’t necessarily make good national bosses. Pretty much all of the managers at this World Cup wouldn’t get top jobs in club football now.

Southgate had the advantage of being U21 manager and seeing some of these players through the system. He knows tournament football. The FA had a brain fart when it appointed Bothroyd as that ruined the transition. Carsley could do well.

Glad Southgate stays. It would’ve been a Gerrard, Lampard type if not. I’d be tempted to try and get Gerrard involved in the U21s to see if he ‘has it’.

Not sure I believe this report - yesterday the sugegstion was that he'd be spending Christmas with his family, talking it over with them and making a decision in the new year - now Sky reckon they have the inside line on what's happening (cause there's not much other news?) - I'm calling bull....

54 minutes ago, enachops said:

Being England manager requires a different skillet to club football. Successful club managers don’t necessarily make good national bosses. Pretty much all of the managers at this World Cup wouldn’t get top jobs in club football now.

Southgate had the advantage of being U21 manager and seeing some of these players through the system. He knows tournament football. The FA had a brain fart when it appointed Bothroyd as that ruined the transition. Carsley could do well.

Glad Southgate stays. It would’ve been a Gerrard, Lampard type if not. I’d be tempted to try and get Gerrard involved in the U21s to see if he ‘has it’.

This. 

this is exactly what I came on here to say. Which if the top 6 clubs in the premier league would swap their managers for any of the top 4 managers at the World Cup? The managers their have normally had very average club careers (with some exceptions). Didier deschamp may become the most successful international manager, but it’d be interesting see if that translates to club level. Could he win PSG the champions league? I wouldn’t bet on it.

2 hours ago, enachops said:

Out of the frying pan? 

30 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

The lack of potential alternatives is startling. The players seem to enjoy playing for Southgate anyway.

We will win Euro 2024.

We might not. And that’s okay.

only one team can win it, and we don’t have a god given right for that to be us. Even if everything went right for us, fine margins could see us kicked out in the quarters to the eventual winners again.

there are alternate realities where we’ve won several competitions, I’m sure. Where Gazza was able to reach that cross, where waddle didn’t miss his penalty, where saka didn’t miss his, where Kane didn’t miss, where lampards goal counted etc. etc.

in isolation it’s an excuse to say we’ve been unlucky, but the law of averages would surely say that at least one of those events would have gone our way in a universe of infinite possibilities.

we could have the best England team ever, but in the same year the Germans or French could have the best team ever.

every single star has to align for anyone to win the World Cup or euros. Just having the best players, just having the best manager, isn’t necessarily enough. And unfortunately they’ve just never aligned for us. 

3 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Not sure I believe this report - yesterday the sugegstion was that he'd be spending Christmas with his family, talking it over with them and making a decision in the new year - now Sky reckon they have the inside line on what's happening (cause there's not much other news?) - I'm calling bull....

Believe it.

"Gareth Southgate will remain as England manager until after the European Championships in 2024, the Football Association has confirmed." - BBC

4 hours ago, cstand said:

Apparently he has won 4 games in 24 matches against the top 10 teams in the world.

If this stat is true then it’s a bad decision to retain him as manager.

That stat is slightly misleading as it includes friendlies and doesn’t include Croatia and Germany. I know Germany aren’t great these days but beating them in the euros was still a monkey off England’s back 

It doesn't seem fair that Eriksson is regarded as a bad England manager but Southgate is regarded as a good one. Just because Eriksson happened to face tougher opposition sooner in his 3 tournaments. Eriksson also lost to tougher opposition: Brazil in 02, and then twice on pens to Portugal in 04 and 06. England should have beat Croatia in 2018. Southgate got away with it because it was a semi-final. England's past failures gave the illusion we did well in that tournament, when in fact we were just incredibly lucky with the opponents we played. England haven't had a tactically competent manager since Glenn Hoddle, they always have managers who are tactically 10-15 years outdated.

When Potter is inevitably sacked by Chelsea the FA need to get him asap.