Southgate to stay on as England manager

Day

14 minutes ago, Normanton Lad said:

Get Rid. Southgate is not a winner. You can tell is a weak man. When you compare him with people like Brian Clough, Dave Mckay and Alex Ferguson you can see he is not a leader. I'd bring back Big Sam.

You can argue that he's weak tactically, but to say he's not a leader is nonsense. He's created an unbelievable culture in the camp and the players clearly love him.

And to top it all off, you say you'd bring back Sam Allardyce. Not sure if satire.

10 hours ago, Normanton Lad said:

Get Rid. Southgate is not a winner. You can tell is a weak man. When you compare him with people like Brian Clough, Dave Mckay and Alex Ferguson you can see he is not a leader. I'd bring back Big Sam.

Speaking as someone on the spectrum, I find it hard to tell if someone is joking or serious.

Can anyone please confirm that this cannot possibly be serious?

10 hours ago, Turk Thrust said:

He had one of the best benches in the Cup, but didn’t use them when he should have. He had arguably the best midfielder in Maddison. Southgate’s record is not great.  Not the best choice and he just doesn’t come across as a leader of men.

What is it that makes a 'leader of men'?

2 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Speaking as someone on the spectrum, I find it hard to tell if someone is joking or serious.

Can anyone please confirm that this cannot possibly be serious?

Completely serious. Southgate is just a functionary. He is not a leader. Like all those of his type he has no vision or independence of thought. He just goes along with the current trend. His players like him because he does what they tell him. It should be the other way around. Would you follow Southgate into battle? I wouldn't.

Big Sam proved that he could handle world class players at Bolton. I've just finished reading his autobiography and as far as I can see his only fault was that he was too generous to lesser mortals.

2 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

What is it that makes a 'leader of men'?

Hmm. A leader of men is just a phrase and could be a leader of women, or of goats. A Leader is someone who can make sound -- and sometimes difficult -- decisions, creating and articulating a clear vision, establishing achievable goals and providing followers with the knowledge and tools necessary to achieve those goals., giving and gaining respect.

4 minutes ago, Normanton Lad said:

Completely serious. Southgate is just a functionary. He is not a leader. Like all those of his type he has no vision or independence of thought. He just goes along with the current trend. His players like him because he does what they tell him. It should be the other way around. Would you follow Southgate into battle? I wouldn't.

Big Sam proved that he could handle world class players at Bolton. I've just finished reading his autobiography and as far as I can see his only fault was that he was too generous to lesser mortals.

One of the (many) things that Southgate has demonstrated is that he is a leader. Nobody needs to follow him into battle. He's a football manager.

The thing about Allardyce is just nonsense. A dinosaur whose only act as England manager was to use his position for personal financial gain. I am not sure an autobigraphy should be your main source of information about the skillset and morals of an individual.

4 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

Hmm. A leader of men is just a phrase and could be a leader of women, or of goats. A Leader is someone who can make sound -- and sometimes difficult -- decisions, creating and articulating a clear vision, establishing achievable goals and providing followers with the knowledge and tools necessary to achieve those goals., giving and gaining respect.

Southgate does all of those things

Unfortunately if the FA only want to pursue a British manager then the stars haven't really aligned. Both Howe and Potter have got their best chance at club level and the only other real alternative is Rodgers who has somewhat turned Leicester's season around, but does have a habit of sinking in to a slump for longer than comfortable. 

I don't think Southgate is the one tactically, but the players seemingly love him and we did look more aggressive in this tournament against WC 18 and Euro 2020. 

So that being said footballs coming home in 2024.

2 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

Unfortunately if the FA only want to pursue a British manager then the stars haven't really aligned. Both Howe and Potter have got their best chance at club level and the only other real alternative is Rodgers who has somewhat turned Leicester's season around, but does have a habit of sinking in to a slump for longer than comfortable. 

I don't think Southgate is the one tactically, but the players seemingly love him and we did look more aggressive in this tournament against WC 18 and Euro 2020. 

So that being said footballs coming home in 2024.

I think stars are fairly well aligned for potter and Howe. They are both likely to be looking for new jobs at the end of next season (if not sooner), when they haven’t won the champions league.

Howe is the Newcastle what Mark Hughes was to Man City. He’ll do for now, but as soon as he gets them near the champions league, they’ll ditch him for someone with a champions league pedigree. 

I wonder if the name touting of Tuchel and Poch would ever have been realistic, particularly at their stage of careers.

The only manager I think personally that would win something with this squad would be Bielsa, wonder if he’d had been tempted if he hadn’t taken the Uruguay job.

I’m not Southgates biggest fan, I think he’s limited but at the moment I genuinely can’t think of anyone “better” that could take the job

I like the way that the "there's no better alternative to xxxxx" thinking takes hold. 

It's a classic black Swan event analysis that Gareth Southgates appointment was inevitable and now has no parallel. 

It was, at the time, an act of damage limitation. There had been no "plan" for him to ascend to the role as it couldn't have been forseen that the fat swindler would have been exposed so quickly. 

On 18/12/2022 at 09:17, scout's dad said:

Eddie Howe breathes a sigh of relief ??

That’s the point. Imho we need an English manager and there’s no one else just now to take up the reins. Shame because - even with this squad - I think Southgate will provide us with Tim Henman avenue - a string of semis 

3 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

That’s the point. Imho we need an English manager and there’s no one else just now to take up the reins. Shame because - even with this squad - I think Southgate will provide us with Tim Henman avenue - a string of semis 

You can get some really good tablets these day for that. So @i-Ram says

34 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Trying Not To Laugh He He GIF

11 hours ago, Normanton Lad said:

Big Sam proved that he could handle world class players at Bolton

This is a Hall of Fame sentence. I mean he had some talented players at Bolton but I don't know about handling world class players?

Bolton ffs. Wow