Torquay (H) FACR1 (Replay) Tues 15th Nov 2022

3 hours ago, jono said:

Just out of curiosity.. when did we last score 8 goals over 2 games ?

if it goes in the back of the net with suitable frequency I am a Warne ball man ?

As recently as the Lampard season we scored nine in two games:

30th March 2019 we beat Warne's Rotherham 6-1

6 April 2019 we drew 3-3 at Brentford

Our problem since then has been not scoring enough goals. It certainly seems to be getting better doesn't it?

Warne ball seems okay so far. It's certainly feels nice to me to be going away from home and winning quite often. I hope it continues.

We'll get a better idea when he's had the chance to bring players into the club that he has chosen.

COYR

Edited by Brailsford Ram

An impossible game to assess really. Just glad we did what we should have done in Torquay.

As far as pointers are concerned, Osula and Co will never have those wide open spaces to run into, but their confidence must be high, so that’s good.

I loved watching the old Liam Thompson. He seemed to have his vigour back and if he can keep that up, he will be pushing hard for a start.

Rooney is very promising. Like Cashin, he just needs to learn when to attack the ball and when to lay off a bit. Stronger players will always use a defender’s proximity to turn them and it happened to Rooney last night, but overall he was good.

Last night was a training session - a bit of fun. 

I just hope the injuries aren’t serious. Friday is important.

Really enjoyed watching that ,the team went out and did the job with some cracking goals 

some don’t seem to warm to warne but personally I like him he just seems genuine and I reckon that players will warm to him and want to play for him , yes he can seem a bit cheesey but it’s not fake cheesey which is very different 

feel a bit sad for some of the stick sibley is getting on here as it seems to me he is being asked to play in different positions and different ways to help a very thin squad and he is stepping up to the plate and giving his all without complaint

Edited by Archied

2 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Yes and exactly the sort of cup game we usually lose as shown in the away match. Do you think bbc picked the match to see derby win?

The amount BBC TV know about sport these days they probably thought it was a horse race 

Edited by kevinhectoring

1 minute ago, BathRam72 said:

Your point is? We are a good few places behind Liverpool and that could have very well gone our way.

A cup game is a leveller more often than not.

Some of my points are

we weren’t at all great last night

lots of missed chances (albeit by youngsters)

more worryingly, decision making was often poor such that we failed to create a hatful more

that we played much better against Liverpool (albeit they fielded a less strong side)

and that Warne was spot on when he suggested the result was not cause for jubilation.

We already knew Didzy is a man amongst boys, though unfortunately rather a tired one now and for a few days. So few highlights (Dobbin’s goal aside) to celebrate. Well, at least Tommo’s amnesia about how to pass seems to be forgotten.

I'd give the Torquay defenders a bit of credit for thwarting some of the counter-attacks : in one-to-one situations they generally didn't commit and forced our player (often Osula) to take the initiative.

It was another physical test for our younger players : the Torquay players used their strength, not always legally, and the youngsters knew they had a challenge on their hands. 

6 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Awkward Bbc GIF by britbox

Some "bright spots"

After winning 5-0.

I think Warne’s post match comments were fair and reasonable. 

There were plenty of bright spots and we ran out comfortable winners - let’s be pleased about that but not get carried away. As he said, the game was very open and whilst we could easily have scored a couple more Torquay “could” have bagged 2 or 3. 

We actually did create a hatful of chances.

If we had a weakness, it was at the back but we will never see that back line in a league game so I'm not too worried about that.

Have people ever really watched McGoldrick and his economy of movement around the pitch? He operates as a pivot with all the young lads running around him. Keeps a bit in the tank for the odd sprint and didn't seem at all perturbed about playing the full game. He just wanted his goal (which he got.) The real stand out player of last night, though Bird was pushing him close before his injury.

Sibley continues to be played in a variety of positions (most of any player this season so far) and Warne trusts him. He's learning how to give a disciplined performance where asked - very valuable at his age.

I thought Dobbin, Osula, Rooney, and especially Tommo played very well - as did Wildsmith and Fozzy.

I love how Fozzy and Stears are constantly helping and encouraging the younger players.

At times last night it felt like a training game due to the lack of fans but it gave fringe players some minutes on the pitch, Warne a chance to look at those players against real opposition and a boost to the confidence of the goalscorers.

Let's keep some perspective here.