Torquay (H) FACR1 (Replay) Tues 15th Nov 2022

13 hours ago, angieram said:

We actually did create a hatful of chances.

If we had a weakness, it was at the back but we will never see that back line in a league game so I'm not too worried about that.

Have people ever really watched McGoldrick and his economy of movement around the pitch? He operates as a pivot with all the young lads running around him. Keeps a bit in the tank for the odd sprint and didn't seem at all perturbed about playing the full game. He just wanted his goal (which he got.) The real stand out player of last night, though Bird was pushing him close before his injury.

Sibley continues to be played in a variety of positions (most of any player this season so far) and Warne trusts him. He's learning how to give a disciplined performance where asked - very valuable at his age.

I thought Dobbin, Osula, Rooney, and especially Tommo played very well - as did Wildsmith and Fozzy.

I love how Fozzy and Stears are constantly helping and encouraging the younger players.

At times last night it felt like a training game due to the lack of fans but it gave fringe players some minutes on the pitch, Warne a chance to look at those players against real opposition and a boost to the confidence of the goalscorers.

Let's keep some perspective here.

That Shaun Barker on RamsTV should be very worried, it’s only a matter of time……….

So glad Tommo played well and scored a goal and he will do it again and again and will get a few on here eating their words. Cracking player and a wonderful lad. I for one, will keep the faith in him.

22 hours ago, ram59 said:

I fully agree with Warne's comments post-match,  take away the 5 goals, there was quite a bit of sloppy play all over the pitch apart from Wildsmith. There were many opportunities going forward when players  didn't make simple passes against a woeful defence and we also gave them a number of opportunities rather easily. This game cannot be compared with the 5-0 pasting of forest, although the results are the same.

Match stats

Derby 17 shots with 7 on target

Torquay 14 shots with 7 on target

No way should those stats have been so close, against such a poor team on the night. People slated the performance in the first game, but under difficult conditions for the first 55 mins until the sending off, we had a very professional display reducing Torquay to just 2 goal attempts, neither which were on target.

Enjoy the 5 goal victory by all means, but let's not pretend that it was a perfect performance.

I think we are a long way off 'perfect performances', so are the majority of clubs in the football pyramid. For now I welcome positive results and performances which reflect steady progress. 

15 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

That Shaun Barker on RamsTV should be very worried, it’s only a matter of time……….

So glad Tommo played well and scored a goal and he will do it again and again and will get a few on here eating their words. Cracking player and a wonderful lad. I for one, will keep the faith in him.

Always liked him from his debut. Great energy, right little terrier and good with the ball at his feet. Thinks forward always. He was missing goals - now he’s off to a start. Craig Bryson MK2 under construction. 

34 minutes ago, jono said:

Always liked him from his debut. Great energy, right little terrier and good with the ball at his feet. Thinks forward always. He was missing goals - now he’s off to a start. Craig Bryson MK2 under construction. 

And when he is on the ball, his footwork and how he moves his body reminds me if Colin Todd! If he can be half as good as Toddy he will have a good career!

16 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

I don't think anyone said Tommo was an awful player, just that he was playing awfully. 

I hope he can take Tuesday's form into league games. 

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

And when he is on the ball, his footwork and how he moves his body reminds me if Colin Todd! If he can be half as good as Toddy he will have a good career!

He’s a classy squirmer isn’t he ? Can detach his torso from his legs. Clever player who’s going to improve. That goal was, in my opinion, huge for his own self belief. The first 6/7 games he played, he didn’t put a foot wrong. I think Warne sees it too but is gently progressing him whenever the first choices are unavailable. 

On 15/11/2022 at 22:16, Tyler Durden said:

Warne critics thin on the ground again I see 

Soz mate, got a month's 'holiday' for telling someone they're thick as shyte, but I'll try to remember to slate him next time we lose so that you can feel better about yourself. Did note you were mighty quiet after the first game though, and also Morcambe. I'm going to assume you were on holiday and hope you had a lurvelllly time ?

Not really sure why folk are still moaning about Warne's character. It is what it is and for my part,  I find myself alternating between finding him quite annoying, to thinking he's actually an OK guy. Fact is, it doesn't really matter and whilst I'll not be getting carried away with this result, he does have us in the hunt and that's all we can really expect at this point. I've always argued that managers should be given a reasonable amount of time to bed in and that follows for Warne the same way it did for Rosenior. He'll get at least until the end of the season, so the stink-eye from both sides of the divide is a bit of a waste of time IMO. The vast majority favour winning games over winning arguments, after all ?‍♂️

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Soz mate, got a month's 'holiday' for telling someone they're thick as shyte, but I'll try to remember to slate him next time we lose so that you can feel better about yourself. Did note you were mighty quiet after the first game though, and also Morcambe. I'm going to assume you were on holiday and hope you had a lurvelllly time ?

Ah so you’ve been on holiday!! Thought it had been quiet around here lately. Funny how you don’t realise that you’ve missed someone until you actually bump into them again!! Welcome back ?

3 hours ago, jono said:

He’s a classy squirmer isn’t he ? Can detach his torso from his legs. Clever player who’s going to improve. That goal was, in my opinion, huge for his own self belief. The first 6/7 games he played, he didn’t put a foot wrong. I think Warne sees it too but is gently progressing him whenever the first choices are unavailable. 

I think what we saw on Tuesday was Tommo let off his leash. He played like he did when he first broke into the first team, which lasted until Rosenior got his teeth into him. A few years ago Clement lassoo’d Butterfield, who was a maurauding midfielder, but who became a sideways and backwards merchant. And seeing fans at subsequent clubs, he never recovered.

If Paul Warne can get us the original Tommo back he will be a legend!

40 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

I think what we saw on Tuesday was Tommo let off his leash. He played like he did when he first broke into the first team, which lasted until Rosenior got his teeth into him. A few years ago Clement lassoo’d Butterfield, who was a maurauding midfielder, but who became a sideways and backwards merchant. And seeing fans at subsequent clubs, he never recovered.

If Paul Warne can get us the original Tommo back he will be a legend!

Honestly Dave, that’s a brilliant insightful post. I don’t think Warne is Busby, Fergie, Shanks or Clough but I do think he understands instincts and natural play. We have been over coached over theoried over tacticed - Science works, it has value but there is a point and level where you don’t need to know the precise force in Newton/Metres needed to dive a nail in to a piece of oak ; because while you were calculating it, someone else just got a big hammer and hit it.

44 minutes ago, jono said:

Honestly Dave, that’s a brilliant insightful post. I don’t think Warne is Busby, Fergie, Shanks or Clough but I do think he understands instincts and natural play. We have been over coached over theoried over tacticed - Science works, it has value but there is a point and level where you don’t need to know the precise force in Newton/Metres needed to dive a nail in to a piece of oak ; because while you were calculating it, someone else just got a big hammer and hit it.

I've just had a funny thought, I've imagined a scene where there is this instructor on a EUFA Pro license course, lecturing a small class consisting of Busby, Fergie, Shanks and Clough on how football should be played. The expressions on their faces would be amusing.