Torquay (H) FACR1 (Replay) Tues 15th Nov 2022

7 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Honestly I'm not a Warne critic, but he does have a habit of saying really odd things.

He said he was disappointed with aspects of today, the game was too open, Torquay could have scored 3 etc. Couldn't really bring himself to compliment the performance very much. Said he has a lot of over 30s, and a lot of u21s, and that 22-28 is the peak age to play which he doesn't have many of. Said the Torquay fans were great. Mark Chapman said "the Derby fans were great too though". He says "oh yeah of course, good banter tonight as it should be. But it's easier to be supportive when you're winning. Torquay were losing. That's why I respect them"

Just...why do you need to say that mate? Why criticise the performance? By all means be a perfectionist, but come on, that's such a Nigel Clough thing to say! ?

Like I said, I'm just not used to the way he is. Football does the talking in terms of his ability as a manager and we've just won 5-0 so no issue there. He just has me scratching my head when I hear him speak

Some wasteful attacking play early on- Should have scored more in the first half and there some decisions by players and passing could have been better - eg Sibley had a fantastic chance to pass early on for on of our players to get one and one and wasted it, and there was another one or two passages like that when we really should have been punishing them more. We were through quite a lot and didn’t capitalise. I guess he might have been getting at that? 

Just now, uttoxram75 said:

He looks ok. Needs to play more but with the age of Stears, Fozzy and Curtis I reckon he'll get plenty of time as the season progresses. I think he'll be a good player.

I’ve not seen anything about him that I don’t like. It’s still early days but he doesn’t have an obvious weakness. He is calm on the ball and does things simply and without fuss. Looks very confident. 

I agree with tombo - Warne comes across a little bit .. I’m not sure of the word .. 

put it this way I’m trying to like him. Anyone with a ram on his chest I’ll support but I’m having to put effort into kind of liking him. 

that’s not to say I want him to be cliched and churn out the same old .. I’m just sharing my view and supporting someone who seems to have the same view. 

4 minutes ago, Matchday Fred said:

How did Rooney go tonight ?

Good. Stearman was looking after him a fair bit though and I don't know if right back suits him. It was a bit unorthodox, Stearman and him were sort of taking turns covering the right side sometimes, swapping roles.

But he did what he needed to most of the time. Key thing for a player like him is that he takes something away from any and all game experience he gets, which is what he does. Learning and developing well

22 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Well there's that I guess, but I don't know if that would motivate me if I was a player. If he's honest and brave enough to come out post-match and have criticisms of performance after 5-0 that's great but he actually seemed really not all that thrilled to have won at all. Far more negative than it needed to be

He's an eccentric guy, he'll take some getting used to for me

I must admit,I'm a big fan of his personality as our manager and enjoy his match comments.

I don't find him eccentric at all,I appreciate his openness and honestly when evaluating performances.

But we are all different people and we all like differing qualities.

Some liked Liams ways,some didn't...the same applies to warnes.

The most important point however is that we are currently doing well and scoring plenty of goals.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

5 minutes ago, norwichram said:

I agree with tombo - Warne comes across a little bit .. I’m not sure of the word .. 

put it this way I’m trying to like him. Anyone with a ram on his chest I’ll support but I’m having to put effort into kind of liking him. 

that’s not to say I want him to be cliched and churn out the same old .. I’m just sharing my view and supporting someone who seems to have the same view. 

Thanks for the support. See you at home mum

Good performance.  Much better closing down, and quicker play undid them completely.

Great for Tommo, played much better tonight and the goal will do him good, defo a confidence player.

For the Warne bashers, please do have a think.  He is and honest bloke and will say what he sees. He doesn’t need to big up his players or the Derby crowd, both they and we know what we are about.  He obviously wanted to be a good winner and that is important.  Everyone knows that we should have won that match and we did.  Think about how bad winners the scousers were a few days back.

They used to describe Clough as eccentric and a bit odd.  Not making any comparisons yet to the great man, but I like his honesty and the way he talks.  I think he is a very intelligent guy…

This and the ‘pool performance  will do us good.

COYR!

Edited by Guest

A lot of athleticism from the team tonight. Kept going throughout. No easing back for Friday. We were far too open at times, but it was an enjoyable romp. Liked the look of Rooney, Thompson played neatly, and Dobbin got the goal his game deserved. Good workout for others too. Sibley continues to disappoint.

I liked the look of Ness in their back four. We should keep an eye on him. He has all the attributes to be a very good defender in the coming years.