Local Radio being destroyed - no more Sportscene.

Ram@Lincoln

48 minutes ago, jcidaho said:

I like Ed Dawes. Don't really understand why people need to continually come out and blast him. No single commentator will appeal to everyone.

Thing about Ed is that he loves DCFC, has huge knowledge and is a real fan. He deserves respect for that. The other thing is … he commentates like a spoilt, entitled, know it all petulant child. Toys are thrown, pouting is visible even though coverage is audio only. Hugely frustrating but hey … he’s a Ram 

14 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Well he better get used to it because Netflix have announced they are switching to that model. No more binging new series. (All about keeping you paying the subscription month after month. Gotta keep those shareholders happy. Sod the customers.)

Didn't think anyone watched Netflix these days, they're losing subcribers hand over fist. This won't help.

12 hours ago, Simmo’s left foot said:

The BBC seem to want to spend big £ on senior presenters some news presenters are on £400k, p.us the big names are on huge retainers for very little work. That’s where they need to make cuts! Starting with Lineker and co.

Honestly don't get this point of view. The on-screen talent are the most important people there. The right person can change a show from complete junk to must-watch TV.

13 hours ago, Simmo’s left foot said:

The BBC seem to want to spend big £ on senior presenters some news presenters are on £400k, p.us the big names are on huge retainers for very little work. That’s where they need to make cuts! Starting with Lineker and co.

The BBC needs to get it into their heads that people aren't drawn to watch match of the day because Lineker is hosting with shearer and co rambling on between matches, they want to watch the football. Likewise, people don't turn on BBC breakfast to see Munchetty and Stayt preening themselves and giving us their opinion, they want to know what's happening in the world.

There are many talented people in the country who would do their jobs for a fraction of the price or even for free.

11 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

I have grew up with radio derby and they are part of the club surely something we can do about it.

BBC Radio Derby are part of the BBC, not the club. It isn't just RD that's affected here, it's all local radio stations. Your voice will do nothing here as this is far higher up than anyone on this forum or wider circle could influence. As mentioned towards the start of the thread, it's funny that this comes only a few weeks after Liz Truss got tore apart on local radio. I'd imagine the club could see this as an opportunity to further strengthen their media output, and if not, there are many excellent Derby County podcasts if you want to hear general ramblings on Derby as you hear on RD.

6 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

BBC Radio Derby are part of the BBC, not the club. It isn't just RD that's affected here, it's all local radio stations. Your voice will do nothing here as this is far higher up than anyone on this forum or wider circle could influence. As mentioned towards the start of the thread, it's funny that this comes only a few weeks after Liz Truss got tore apart on local radio. I'd imagine the club could see this as an opportunity to further strengthen their media output, and if not, there are many excellent Derby County podcasts if you want to hear general ramblings on Derby as you hear on RD.

Whilst there are some good podcasts, I think it’s flippant to suggest any of them get close to Radio Derby’s analysis and coverage.

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

Didn't think anyone watched Netflix these days, they're losing subcribers hand over fist. This won't help.

You couldn't be more wrong. To quote a news article:

" Netflix subscriber numbers increased by 2.4 million from July to September this year, more than double the number than was expected.

The world's largest streaming service also saw revenue exceed expectations and top $7.9bn, its third quarter results showed. Netflix now has a total of 223.1 million subscribers around the world."

I don't get all this BBC is special, no it isn't. It's just another TV service. I object to being forced to pay for something I don't want. If it was so good let people pay for it on a subscription basis or introduce advertising. 

I can understand historically why a TV license made sense. All the infrastructure had to be paid for and it was only fair that those using it paid for it. Times have changed and the BBC is a dinosaur of an organisation.

54 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

A shame that it's been started on the wrong platform. The company that runs Change encourages donations to the cause...which is their own back pocket. A petition on the government's petition would actually lead to a reply/debate in parliament if enough signatures are gained. 

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

the latest RAJAR listening figures for Q3 2022 suggest that we care less than we used to about the BBC national radio output, with year on year audience figures down across the board (Radio 5 by 17.5%), but that commercial radio stations are doing better year on year

Local BBC radio audience figures collectively show a slight increase (2%)

Edited by ilkleyram

18 hours ago, jono said:

Thing about Ed is that he loves DCFC, has huge knowledge and is a real fan. He deserves respect for that. The other thing is … he commentates like a spoilt, entitled, know it all petulant child. Toys are thrown, pouting is visible even though coverage is audio only. Hugely frustrating but hey … he’s a Ram 

Agree Jonjo 100 percent, finding it difficult to listen to his commentry for the whole match on radio Derby, wonder what the ex players who are on with him really think of him.

3 hours ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

BBC Humberside presenter says that only 4.6% of the license fee pays goes to local radio. That's £7.36 per household. I wonder where the other £152 is going that isn't being cut...

I love these stats things “only” £ 7.36 per household. It’s like those sales gimmicks that say only 20p a day. Thing is 30 million households is quite a lot. 

Subs, licence fees, subscribe and save are ok - so you have to pay multiple subs to get a cross section of viewing and listening is darn crafty. Sod your album collection .. sign up to £ X quid a month to rent your music from us for the rest of your life (and you can’t pass it on ) Then …. don’t buy your word processing programme .. pay us a sub instead, we want a regular income stream from you which is a lot easier for us than having to persuade to buy/use our product each time you want it or only get a sale from you once in 10 years. It’s one easy transaction for them. Clever, but I know I am being stitched up despite the glitz of “regular updates, bug fixes and latest version and new content”