Local Radio being destroyed - no more Sportscene.

Ram@Lincoln

On 01/11/2022 at 16:00, ram59 said:

A recent 'freedom of information' question about newspapers provided for staff at the BBC, revealed that in comparison with national sales, the Guardian was massively over subscribed at the BBC and that the Daily Mail was massively under subscribed by the BBC. I think that shows the political bias within the organsiation.

The only FOI request for this info that I could find was here:- https://pressgazette.co.uk/foi-request-reveals-the-guardian-is-most-popular-newspaper-at-the-bbc/ (pasted below), it highlights a few things, one that your description of 'massively over/under' isn't supported by facts but also how dominant right of centre reporting is in our written media.

You also refer to a common false equivalence in the Mail & the Guardian - You may or may not like the tone of the Guardian but it is a serious newspaper where the Mail, erm, isn't. I mean, it's kind of famous for its sidebar of shame isn't it.

Back (nearly) on topic though, the BBC have been in the govt crosshairs for some time, not necessarily because of any perceived political or idealogical bias (although the latter clearly pays a part with regard to their funding) but because a network that is reporting in a balance manner is clearly still going to be critical of the 2019-2022 government because, regardless of your political leanings, it did leave itself wide open to such criticism.

I dearly hope that local radio survives intact, it's really important, it is a force for good that that sits away from the forces of revenue and profit.

Publication - Quantity

The Guardian - 75,114

The Times - 73,596

Daily Telegraph - 69,627

Daily Mail - 68,553

The Sun - 59,961

The Independent - 57,615

Daily Mirror - 56,678

Financial Times - 38,106

Daily Express - 36,948

Daily Star - 16,422

Sunday Times - 8,653

The Observer - 7,145

Mail On Sunday - 6,993

Sunday Telegraph - 6,820

Independent On Sunday - 5,716

Sunday Mirror - 5,492

Sun on Sunday - 4,588

Sunday Express - 4,214

The People - 2,807

10 hours ago, RamuelLJackson said:

In contrast, the editor of the Breakfast programme on Five Live a few years ago said in a programme meeting "I have no interest in covering any story that isn't on the front or back page or the Sun, or the front or back page of the Daily Mail". Never heard him mention the Guardian.

Unless you were actually at that meeting I would take that with a huge pinch of salt. I struggle to believe that 5 live is only interested in Freddie Starr eating someone's hamster or what Katie Price did next.

4 hours ago, Mihangel said:

The only FOI request for this info that I could find was here:- https://pressgazette.co.uk/foi-request-reveals-the-guardian-is-most-popular-newspaper-at-the-bbc/ (pasted below), it highlights a few things, one that your description of 'massively over/under' isn't supported by facts but also how dominant right of centre reporting is in our written media.

You also refer to a common false equivalence in the Mail & the Guardian - You may or may not like the tone of the Guardian but it is a serious newspaper where the Mail, erm, isn't. I mean, it's kind of famous for its sidebar of shame isn't it.

Back (nearly) on topic though, the BBC have been in the govt crosshairs for some time, not necessarily because of any perceived political or idealogical bias (although the latter clearly pays a part with regard to their funding) but because a network that is reporting in a balance manner is clearly still going to be critical of the 2019-2022 government because, regardless of your political leanings, it did leave itself wide open to such criticism.

I dearly hope that local radio survives intact, it's really important, it is a force for good that that sits away from the forces of revenue and profit.

Publication - Quantity

The Guardian - 75,114

The Times - 73,596

Daily Telegraph - 69,627

Daily Mail - 68,553

The Sun - 59,961

The Independent - 57,615

Daily Mirror - 56,678

Financial Times - 38,106

Daily Express - 36,948

Daily Star - 16,422

Sunday Times - 8,653

The Observer - 7,145

Mail On Sunday - 6,993

Sunday Telegraph - 6,820

Independent On Sunday - 5,716

Sunday Mirror - 5,492

Sun on Sunday - 4,588

Sunday Express - 4,214

The People - 2,807

You really do need to read the article that you've linked to, which proves my point entirely. The Guardian with the lowest national readership, is the most bought paper by the BBC. It  just shows how out of touch the BBC is compared with the nation's political persuasion. The more serious papers like  the Times and Telegraph both have over 3 times the readership of the Guardian, but both lag behind in the BBC purchases.

You also complain that our media is dominated by right of centre publications, which is entirely true. But nobody forces the 'idiots' to buy the Mail, they buy these right of centre publications, because that's what they like to read, they don't want to read about left wing views. If the general population of the country was more left in thinking, then surely the left thinking press would have greater sales. Surely the BBC should be more representative of the way the country feels, not trying to tell us which way to feel?

6 minutes ago, ram59 said:

You really do need to read the article that you've linked to, which proves my point entirely. The Guardian with the lowest national readership, is the most bought paper by the BBC. It  just shows how out of touch the BBC is compared with the nation's political persuasion. The more serious papers like  the Times and Telegraph both have over 3 times the readership of the Guardian, but both lag behind in the BBC purchases.

You also complain that our media is dominated by right of centre publications, which is entirely true. But nobody forces the 'idiots' to buy the Mail, they buy these right of centre publications, because that's what they like to read, they don't want to read about left wing views. If the general population of the country was more left in thinking, then surely the left thinking press would have greater sales. Surely the BBC should be more representative of the way the country feels, not trying to tell us which way to feel?

The Chairman of the BBC is Richard Sharp a Conservative Party doner and advisor , I think that should tell you which way the BBC is going right or wrong  

15 minutes ago, ram59 said:

You are putting a precedent on this that these people are subscribing to newspapers that they like rather than making subscribing to many newspapers to get a rounded opinion because of the organisation they work in.

This country has one leading ‘left’ newspaper, and then a load more that are right leaning aside The Independent (maybe). So it’s little surprise that The Guardian comes out on top. Mail, Telegraph, Times etc are in much more direct competition if someone is trying to get both sides. To be honest the data probably shows that there are quite a lot subscribing to more right leaning papers than left and against your point. 

2 hours ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

I wonder how many under 35 year olds have ever been to a library to take out a book? 

Technology moves on. You don't need to go to the library anymore. Derbyshire libraries do give access to a good app though that lets you access loads of different magazines, etc though, but still no need to physically go to the building. And 35 is a bit of a random age to pick - a good chunk of that age range will have grown up without the internet, etc and would probably still have gone to libraries, much like myself, if they wanted to read something but couldnt buy it.

As for the BBC I don't really care if they disappear. I don't watch or listen to anything other than the football and I don't pay for the tv licence either since I don't need it.

28 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Technology moves on. You don't need to go to the library anymore. Derbyshire libraries do give access to a good app though that lets you access loads of different magazines, etc though, but still no need to physically go to the building. And 35 is a bit of a random age to pick - a good chunk of that age range will have grown up without the internet, etc and would probably still have gone to libraries, much like myself, if they wanted to read something but couldnt buy it.

As for the BBC I don't really care if they disappear. I don't watch or listen to anything other than the football and I don't pay for the tv licence either since I don't need it.

There are such a things as reference books. Help with your research. Access to IT that some cannot afford at home. Actual books that you've not been able to steal from an illegal stream. Somewhere quiet to study. CDs and DVDs. Magazines? Lots of stuff...

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

There are such a things as reference books. Help with your research. Access to IT that some cannot afford at home. Actual books that you've not been able to steal from an illegal stream. Somewhere quiet to study. CDs and DVDs. Magazines? Lots of stuff...

You don't need the library for IT access and why the hell are you stealing books? There are millions of free books legally accessible online and I don't mean just self published stuff - a lot of the classics are available for free as are a lot of research papers if you are that way inclined. At a push I will let you have university textbooks as a lot of them are extortionate, but not much else.

And virtually nobody uses CDs or DVDs anymore. As i said before technology has moved on - virtually all of this type of media is streamed online now.

And I will repeat myself again, but the library itself provides you with access to an app that allows you to access virtually any magazine on your electronic device from home. No need to go to the library at all.

Not sure what you are trying to argue, but virtually everything you stated has been made easier or replaced by the relentless march of technological progress. All the stuff you mention is going to be used by a handful of people mainly of older generations and I don't really understand why people on here are trying to criticise the youth for not visiting libraries.

5 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Blimey Roy, next you'll be suggesting that people actually get off the sofa and walk to the corner shop to buy a Mars Bar and a Pepsi ?

23 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

The government will not do away with the Beeb completely as much as its market driven ethos would like to. The beeb is, and always has been, an excellent propaganda machine for successive govts.

From wars to maintaining the status quo, the beeb can be trusted to report what it is told. 

What it should do, imo, is scrap all the pathetic attempts at political debate, Question time and the like have become a bit like the Chinese and Russian news sites and rarely raises any issues that might question anything seen as anti establishment. All they do is try to keep the pretence that the current main parties have substantial differences - they don't. Not in the sense of curbing the power of the unelected corporate entities that basically own our politicians. All they do is push mindless arguments about culture wars instead of debating in detail whether privatising the NHS would benefit the majority of us or not.

Report the news as truthfully as they are allowed, show football and other sports as much as possible, and make great drama, history, kids and nature programmes.

Take politics out of the beeb and let them produce quality programmes, but I doubt very much they will be allowed to do that.

There was a massive piece on news at 10 about criminal gangs from Albania tonight. Strange that?

1 hour ago, GenBr said:

You don't need the library for IT access and why the hell are you stealing books? There are millions of free books legally accessible online and I don't mean just self published stuff - a lot of the classics are available for free as are a lot of research papers if you are that way inclined. At a push I will let you have university textbooks as a lot of them are extortionate, but not much else.

And virtually nobody uses CDs or DVDs anymore. As i said before technology has moved on - virtually all of this type of media is streamed online now.

And I will repeat myself again, but the library itself provides you with access to an app that allows you to access virtually any magazine on your electronic device from home. No need to go to the library at all.

Not sure what you are trying to argue, but virtually everything you stated has been made easier or replaced by the relentless march of technological progress. All the stuff you mention is going to be used by a handful of people mainly of older generations and I don't really understand why people on here are trying to criticise the youth for not visiting libraries.

What? Are you not aware of how things are for some? There are other people that don't see things how you do. Can't afford the things you think are common place. Don't want what you want.

Edited by RoyMac5

8 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

That's exactly what I see in the Derbyshire library I visit and a wide age range of users/vistors

12 hours ago, GenBr said:

Wait till Roy hears about dishwashers and we don't stand there with marigolds on anymore ?