The Sibley Enigma

sage

A bizarre thing in this thread is the talk about Louie's temperament and "silly and reckless fouls". Sibley hasn't been booked in the league or league cup this season. He is fouled time and time again, but let's his football do the talking. Also, I was shocked when I first saw him live this season (Charlton) as he had really developed physically and was one of our strongest players, able to ride many of the desperate challenges made to try to stop him when running with the ball (with decent pace). 

Build the team around him in midfield this season and we will get promoted. I think his application and forward running and thinking makes him more or a Warne player than Rosenior or Rooney, who would rather we pass the ball back from the opposition penalty area to our own keeper than take a risk to score a goal. Sibley is prepared to take risks in and around the opposition box and this is what will be required if we are to go up. The overall team formula still needs tweaking, but I feel we're making progress and he'll prove integral to it.

18 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Yep , sorry . I respect everyone’s opinion , even if they have never kicked a ball in their lives. ( I would love him to prove me wrong).

Having been to a number of Grimsby games at that level, I’m really trying to wrap my head around that one, like you say, everyone is entitled to their opinion though. 

I really hope he can kick on and become a really top player for us but so far he hasn't- even when he has been a starter. He has games where you think yes that's the Sibley we want to see but the next game he can fade out after 10 minutes and do nothing.

Still hope he gets a decent run to prove that he can be that key must start player - he hasn't done that yet 

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

A bizarre thing in this thread is the talk about Louie's temperament and "silly and reckless fouls". Sibley hasn't been booked in the league or league cup this season. He is fouled time and time again, but let's his football do the talking. Also, I was shocked when I first saw him live this season (Charlton) as he had really developed physically and was one of our strongest players, able to ride many of the desperate challenges made to try to stop him when running with the ball (with decent pace). 

Build the team around him in midfield this season and we will get promoted. I think his application and forward running and thinking makes him more or a Warne player than Rosenior or Rooney, who would rather we pass the ball back from the opposition penalty area to our own keeper than take a risk to score a goal. Sibley is prepared to take risks in and around the opposition box and this is what will be required if we are to go up. The overall team formula still needs tweaking, but I feel we're making progress and he'll prove integral to it.

He did get subbed off against Mansfield in the league cup. He'd played very well in the first half and had Kellan Gordon in trouble. Cloughie had ovbisouly told Gordon to rile Sibley in the 2nd half and it worked immediately. Sibley was lucky not to get booked early, he lost his head, Gordon set up their equaliser and Sibley was subbed after the goal. 

20 minutes ago, jono said:

He’s a raider in the making still. Definitely more dangerous when central. Sort of player when buzzing that can sow panic in a defence. Goes off the boil sometimes, too hasty occasionally. That and bits of red mist. Still learning for me but feel he is getting stronger 

He was hacked down twice when running at goal, last home game. Ref only gave one as a booking - no surprise.

He is one of the few players we have that will run with the ball at pace.

Edited by RoyMac5

What has been noticeable this season is that Sibley has been far more restrained when provoked by opposition players, which is a good thing although it is a balance, as some have pointed out his aggression (channelled correctly) is one of his strong points. At Accrington, I noticed that their no.6 took every opportunity to wind him up and it was good to see he just ignored it and let his football do the talking.  Disappointing to see  he followed up with quite poor performance against Ipswich, but personally, I would stick with him as he can cause havoc in the opposition's defence when on song. 

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

He was hacked down twice when running at goal, last home game. Ref only gave one as a booking - no surprise.

He is one of the few players we have that will run with the ball at pace.

Teams need “scruff of the neck” players. Sibley can develop in to one for sure. He wouldn’t lose out by looking at NML’s attitude which is always positive with measured aggression. 

41 minutes ago, jono said:

Teams need “scruff of the neck” players. Sibley can develop in to one for sure. He wouldn’t lose out by looking at NML’s attitude which is always positive with measured aggression. 

Well he's only 21 so it's not like he's not got time to learn. Young players develop at different rates, he looks physically ready this season.

23 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well he's only 21 so it's not like he's not got time to learn. Young players develop at different rates, he looks physically ready this season.

I agree Roy, last year he got knocked off the ball too often when playing wide but it seems he’s gained some muscle and sinew this year - As you would expect I suppose. I haven’t done a count and can’t remember all their ages but when you think we could start games with Bird, Knight, Sibley, Tommo, Odouru,Osoula, Cashin, Roberts. It’s a very young bunch.

While they have experience because they started young, they are a long way from grizzled old pros and still have improvements in the physical abilities to come. if we do manage to get promoted and keep our own, there really is potential in all of them.

Sibley was poor tonight. Given the opportunity to play in what people say is his best position and he didn’t do much to impress.

Poor decision making and quality of the final ball is something he should’ve ironed out of his game by now. McGoldrick was much more effective in the 10 role and I hope Sibley learns as much as he can from him so he can improve.

The yellow card when he moved to wing back was like the Sibley of old. Rushing straight into a nothing challenge without thinking and getting a booking.

18 minutes ago, roboto said:

Sibley was poor tonight. Given the opportunity to play in what people say is his best position and he didn’t do much to impress.

Poor decision making and quality of the final ball is something he should’ve ironed out of his game by now. McGoldrick was much more effective in the 10 role and I hope Sibley learns as much as he can from him so he can improve.

The yellow card when he moved to wing back was like the Sibley of old. Rushing straight into a nothing challenge without thinking and getting a booking.

How fans see things differently. He and hence we were playing ok. Ridiculous substitution and putting him out of position. Cant stand McGoldrick or Haurahane I'm afraid. 

30 minutes ago, roboto said:

Really? What did he do?

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Really? What did he do?

He used the space better and linked up with other attacking players better. That’s how I saw it anyway.

I want Sibley to prove all his fans right, but I just haven’t seen him improving since he got into the first team, which is a real shame.