The Sibley Enigma

sage

3 minutes ago, roboto said:

He used the space better and linked up with other attacking players better. That’s how I saw it anyway.

I want Sibley to prove all his fans right, but I just haven’t seen him improving since he got into the first team, which is a real shame.

Start a poll! He was utterly ordinary. Even his freekick was naff. He took deadballs that previous game Sibley had taken and done really well with. He did nothing, at a slow pace.

12 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

How fans see things differently. He and hence we were playing ok. Ridiculous substitution and putting him out of position. Cant stand McGoldrick or Haurahane I'm afraid. 

Agreed, Sibley was one of our brighter points in the 10 role. He is completely wasted as a left wing back, especially when you have two left back options on the pitch...

On 24/10/2022 at 21:17, Carl Sagan said:

A bizarre thing in this thread is the talk about Louie's temperament and "silly and reckless fouls". Sibley hasn't been booked in the league or league cup this season. He is fouled time and time again, but let's his football do the talking. Also, I was shocked when I first saw him live this season (Charlton) as he had really developed physically and was one of our strongest players, able to ride many of the desperate challenges made to try to stop him when running with the ball (with decent pace). 

Build the team around him in midfield this season and we will get promoted. I think his application and forward running and thinking makes him more or a Warne player than Rosenior or Rooney, who would rather we pass the ball back from the opposition penalty area to our own keeper than take a risk to score a goal. Sibley is prepared to take risks in and around the opposition box and this is what will be required if we are to go up. The overall team formula still needs tweaking, but I feel we're making progress and he'll prove integral to it.

Well that aged well ?

8 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

I got there early tonight to watch the entire pre-match warm up. Sibley’s finishing is 1st class. But how do we get him set up in the box? It’s tricky. I like Warne but I was suprised the manager had a dig at Sibley post match. Especially after what their goalie did. Hope Paul can get the best out of Sibbo.

What did he say - sorry havent heard any post- match stuff?

1 minute ago, Red_ram said:

On radio derby basically said he’s the worst tackler he’s ever seen, so had to come off.

And he's not wrong.

Sibley has many strengths but sensible tackling isn't always one of them. 

I felt sorry for him to be asked to play wing back but, after that very early booking following the change, could only see a red card coming if he'd played the second half. 

1 minute ago, Red_ram said:

On radio derby basically said he’s the worst tackler he’s ever seen, so had to come off.

Yet only Chester made more successful tackles than him today. Doesn't bode well when "the worst tackler he's ever seen" is winning the ball back more than most others on the pitch.

Maybe the problem is putting an AM at LWB. ? 

2 minutes ago, inter politics said:

I'm guessing he meant it in a Paul Scholes kind of way but hopefully he hasnt alienated one of our young chargers 

I doubt he will have alienated him. Sibley must know Warne rates him otherwise he wouldn't keep getting picked. Warne just highlighted an area that isn't one of his strengths. I suspect Sibley may well agree. 

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Yet only Chester made more successful tackles than him today. Doesn't bode well when "the worst tackler he's ever seen" is winning the ball back more than most others on the pitch.

Maybe the problem is putting an AM at LWB. ? 

I think there was a high risk that he would have been exposed playing wing back and forced into any desperate tackle resulting in a second yellow. 

Can’t remember verbatim what he said but I was pretty shocked, didn’t seem tongue in cheek. Was along the lines of now learning about the players he has at the club and sibley is one of the worst tacklers he’s ever seen. I came away thinking I wouldn’t surprised to see him go in jan.

But then I thought sibley didn’t look arsed in general tonight. Even his early chance he didn’t look either confident or bothered to try and take the last man so just took a lazy meh punt. That tackle was right in front of me and looked like one of someone who was miffed to be at wing back, cos the ball was in a different post code. And for the record I’m one that knows there’s a player in there and is desperate to unlock that potential we’ve seen flashes of here. Did himself no favours tonight.

Maybe Warne will play him centre half on Saturday so we can see how poor he is. The decision to put him at left back was baffling in the extreme. 

I’m no football expert but Sibley is at his best running at people and getting in the box. He’s one of our few goal threats. At least he can get his corners past the first defender as well unlike our ‘cheat code’ who once again   managed to achieve nothing whatsoever whilst avoiding putting a tackle on at all costs.

Two weeks ago at Accrington, Sibley played well and sauntered through for the shot that resulted in Barkhuizen’s tap-in.

I don’t think anything during the match or post indicates that Warne is thinking Sibley offers little unless he fills the problem LWB slot. But he is a wretched tackler (he did an equally awful one almost immediately after coming on vs City Littl’uns) and was the obvious halftime sacrifice - if not perhaps the obvious LWB when already on a yellow!

I don’t like him as the second forward though. If Warne reverts to a 3-5-2 I’d have either him or McGoldrick as the most advanced of the midfield, at the expense of Hourihane.