The Sibley Enigma

sage

4 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

What is even more of an enigma is for someone who can't tackle, is not the greatest at heading the ball can make a decent job at left back in league 1. I wonder how many Derby fans who have seen him play ever thought he 'll do a job there. He is part of the strongest defence in L1 so he must be doing something right.

Also played left back in a 0-0 at Liverpool - not many teams keep a clean sheet there 

Another very good performance for Sibley, interesting to note his defensive statistics when compared to Roberts. Stats taken from the FotMob scores mobile app.

Successful tackles per 90:

Sibley joint best at the club, with Cashin, on 1.3 successful tackles per 90.

Roberts is by far the worst on 0.2 successful tackles per 90, next highest is Hourihane, Smith and Collins on 0.4.

Tackle success rate:

Sibley is at 58.8% with Cashin at 58%, Forsyth 52.6% and Smith 50%.

Roberts again by far the worst at the club with 28.6% (was circa 17% before Accrington), the next highest being 38.1% from Hourihane. 

Attacking wise, Sibley has created 21 chances to Roberts' 7 chances. Sibley has made 1.3 successful dribbles per 90 compared to Roberts at 0.8. Sibley also has a much higher dribble success rate at 57.1% to Roberts' 42.9%.

Basically statistically, Sibley is better both in defence and attack than Roberts. If we get in another who can play left back during January, I'd be reasonably happy in Roberts going back with Rooney taking any CB cover that Roberts provided. 

Edited by Ram@Lincoln

2 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Another very good performance for Sibley, interesting to note his defensive statistics when compared to Roberts. Stats taken from the FotMob scores mobile app.

Roberts is by far the worst on 0.2 successful tackles per 90, next highest is Hourihane, Smith and Collins on 0.4.

Tackle success rate:

Roberts again by far the worst at the club with 28.6% (was circa 17% before Accrington), the next highest being 38.1% from Hourihane. 

Attacking wise, Sibley has created 21 chances to Roberts' 7 chances. Sibley has made 1.3 successful dribbles per 90 compared to Roberts at 0.8. Sibley also has a much higher dribble success rate at 57.1% to Roberts' 42.9%.

Basically statistically, Sibley is better both in defence and attack than Roberts. If we get in another who can play left back during January, I'd be reasonably happy in Roberts going back with Rooney taking any CB cover that Roberts provided. 

That must be including Sibley in midfield/wing and Roberts at CB.

Stats when starting at LB only...

Tackles per 90:
1. Sibley - 2.4
2. Barkhuizen - 1.6
3. Roberts - 0.7
4. Forsyth - 0.5

Tackle success:
=1. Roberts - 75%
=1. Barkhuizen - 75%
3. Sibley - 71%
4. Forsyth - 25%

Key passes per 90:
1. Barkhuizen - 1.3
2. Forsyth - 1.0
3. Roberts - 0.8
4. Sibley - 0.7

Successful dribbles per 90:
1. Roberts - 0.9
2. Forsyth - 0.5
3. Sibley - 0.4
4. Barkhuizen - 0.3

Dribble success:
Roberts - 42%
Forsyth - 33%
Sibley - 23%
Barkhuizen - 20%

33 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

That must be including Sibley in midfield/wing and Roberts at CB.

Stats when starting at LB only...

Tackles per 90:
1. Sibley - 2.4
2. Barkhuizen - 1.6
3. Roberts - 0.7
4. Forsyth - 0.5

Tackle success:
=1. Roberts - 75%
=1. Barkhuizen - 75%
3. Sibley - 71%
4. Forsyth - 25%

Key passes per 90:
1. Barkhuizen - 1.3
2. Forsyth - 1.0
3. Roberts - 0.8
4. Sibley - 0.7

Successful dribbles per 90:
1. Roberts - 0.9
2. Forsyth - 0.5
3. Sibley - 0.4
4. Barkhuizen - 0.3

Dribble success:
Roberts - 42%
Forsyth - 33%
Sibley - 23%
Barkhuizen - 20%

For Sibley to be topping the tackles by a mile, and then being just shy of Roberts on by tackle success rate and key passes, that's marvellous for him. As the saying goes, stats can mean a million things. Manipulating stats to back up one thing or another. I guess the overall main stat would be goals conceded when both playing at left back.  Ultimately that's the only stat that really matters at the end of the day, how many goals you scored compared to the opposition.

51 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

...Basically statistically, Sibley is better both in defence and attack than Roberts. If we get in another who can play left back during January, I'd be reasonably happy in Roberts going back with Rooney taking any CB cover that Roberts provided. 

I thought it was easy to see why Warne prefers to play Sibs out of position, rather than Roberts, when he came on yesterday. 

1 hour ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Tackle success rate:

Not wanting to upset ghost of clough but so many ifs and buts lie below all these stats.   Not making any tackles can be the sign of a great defender. 

You just had to watch Sibley and Roberts yesterday to see Sibley was much the more effective 

I think the only thing holding him back as being a top player is his confidence. He's got tonnes of ability but I think he sometimes plays within himself.  On his day, even at LB he can be a match winner.  Here's hoping Warne can coax more out of him.

He needs to get some BDE about him

So now praising Sibley for his recent performances at LB must, in the eyes of some fans, involve rubbishing Roberts' performances? And the run of strong defensive performances are entirely due to Warne preferring Sibley at LB? Not also in large part due the fact that we've had Fozzy performing out of his skin and Smith settled into RB in place of Knight? 

For me, Roberts hasn't done much wrong and, certainly until the last few games, I've had plenty of concerns over Sibley's performances (check the ratings if you care to). Now he's been working with the coaches and has had a good run there he's making the position his own, but the criticism Roberts is getting is baffling to me. 

43 minutes ago, Crewton said:

For me, Roberts hasn't done much wrong and, certainly until the last few games, I've had plenty of concerns over Sibley's performances (check the ratings if you care to). Now he's been working with the coaches and has had a good run there he's making the position his own, but the criticism Roberts is getting is baffling to me.

Agreed. Roberts has been very solid for us.  People saying they'd be happy for us to return him to Brighton feels very short-sighted.  

Sibley has done well at left back but hasn't really been tested too much by the likes of Cambridge and Accrington.

Not sure what's clicked with Sibbo recently, but it doesn't really matter. The uptick in from has been really noticeable and the moments of real quality aside, he's working really hard for the team too and I suspect that's why Warne has given him the starting slot. Much has been made of him being wasted playing wider but I don't see that at all. It's just folk who refuse to admit they got it wrong. Warne must love those lasered early crosses Louie puts in, like a prime Fozzy but probably higher output.

It's becoming very clear that Warne wants us to play a simple style that he believes is effective and Sibley's ability to whip the ball into those dangerous areas early and from distance make it hard to argue with philosophy.

Louie's tackling and defensive work has improved out of all recognition too, going from making Scholes look like Maldini, to topping the team stats. A feather in the cap for Warne for sure! That transformation for me has been the single most surprising and pleasing element of his recent good form. Long may it last.

Well done Louie lad, well done! 

4 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Not sure what's clicked with Sibbo recently, but it doesn't really matter. The uptick in from has been really noticeable and the moments of real quality aside, he's working really hard for the team too and I suspect that's why Warne has given him the starting slot. Much has been made of him being wasted playing wider but I don't see that at all. It's just folk who refuse to admit they got it wrong. Warne must love those lasered early crosses Louie puts in, like a prime Fozzy but probably higher output.

It's becoming very clear that Warne wants us to play a simple style that he believes is effective and Sibley's ability to whip the ball into those dangerous areas early and from distance make it hard to argue with philosophy.

Louie's tackling and defensive work has improved out of all recognition too, going from making Scholes look like Maldini, to topping the team stats. A feather in the cap for Warne for sure! That transformation for me has been the single most surprising and pleasing element of his recent good form. Long may it last.

Well done Louie lad, well done! 

He is being trusted and given a decent amount of time on the pitch which is the main thing and he is responding well as well as Warne is a superstitious type who won’t be changing a defence that’s keeping clean sheets every week even when there are perceived better players available.

Think it was really smart by PW to move Sibley to LB since the lad only needs a bit more time to get the ball under control and then are able to create, dribble and do everything he is good at. That way this plays to his strength since he also been suprisingly great at the defensive aspects of the role. Impressive and great to finally see Sibley in the starting lineup for an extended period of time! 

2 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Not sure what's clicked with Sibbo recently, but it doesn't really matter. The uptick in from has been really noticeable and the moments of real quality aside, he's working really hard for the team too and I suspect that's why Warne has given him the starting slot.

As well as the change of position giving him more responsibility to the team as a whole, he's finally got a manager who trusts him and is prepared to give him a run of starts. Pleased for him.

1 hour ago, Premier ram said:

Dont understand the rubbishing of Roberts , hes a very good player whose place in the team has been taken by another very good player whose performances deservedly have him starting each game at the moment , im sure Roberts will get another chance before the seasons out

Saying Sibley was better and that the differences were easy to see, is that rubbishing Roberts?

Sibley is an attacking player.  He's putting in a decent shift but some of the attributes, which Knight seems to have as natural cover, aren't there when required as cover.  The better wide players will show this.  Bit like that fella at Portsmouth who had the beating of him all game.  I'd keep Roberts as cover as he'll be required at some stage.