The Sibley Enigma

sage

On 12/12/2022 at 21:25, bucktwo said:

I reckon he may end up being a left wing back in Warnes team once he has had time to build it . 

With you on that. As a young player he is still learning so any of us wanting to define his best position now, are being a bit “previous” He looked a little lost in the first game or two but since then has looked very dynamic and useful. As a position it suits him from a youthful  energy perspective and he does have the chance to bomb forward with the ball at his feet (something he is pretty good at. At his age you simply cant say he is a CM or he is a No 10. He’s had good games in those positions but he’s had lacklustre performances too. His wing back tally is pretty much the same. Give the boy time but above all he’s a footballer and it’s great to have him in the squad.

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

It’s an enigma that Sibbo is still seen as an enigma ?

What is even more of an enigma is for someone who can't tackle, is not the greatest at heading the ball can make a decent job at left back in league 1. I wonder how many Derby fans who have seen him play ever thought he 'll do a job there. He is part of the strongest defence in L1 so he must be doing something right.

14 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

What is even more of an enigma is for someone who can't tackle, is not the greatest at heading the ball can make a decent job at left back in league 1. I wonder how many Derby fans who have seen him play ever thought he 'll do a job there. He is part of the strongest defence in L1 so he must be doing something right.

I wonder about that comment, because it is clear he can tackle and intercept, and to a lesser extent head the ball (getting better I think). His positional play is also good - which must be one of the reasons he gets in ahead of Roberts?

3 hours ago, Premier ram said:

yes i thought Louie had a tough 1st half last night , when he got booked i thought he would be replaced 2nd half , glad he didnt , played very well and covering tackles were superb , well done Louie

Yep, I too thought he’d get withdrawn at half time as could see us going down to ten men if not. Much better second half from him so credit where credit’s due ?

3 minutes ago, Gisby said:

Yep, I too thought he’d get withdrawn at half time as could see us going down to ten men if not. Much better second half from him so credit where credit’s due ?

I think folk are going a bit OTT about his discipline. It ain’t that bad. Besides, if you sub him every time he gets a yellow, how is he ever going to learn to  be disciplined when on a yellow? I thought he had a decent second half. He’s growing into the role and in this league can get away with a bit of defensive naivety. Long term, I can’t see it being his position though. 

21 minutes ago, Gisby said:

Last season I would have had the same concerns but I wasn’t particularly worried last night. Even though I don’t think he is natural defender and has, in the past, displayed a somewhat hot headed nature, I think he deserves enormous credit for bringing this under control.

18 minutes ago, enachops said:

I think folk are going a bit OTT about his discipline. It ain’t that bad. Besides, if you sub him every time he gets a yellow, how is he ever going to learn to  be disciplined when on a yellow? I thought he had a decent second half. He’s growing into the role and in this league can get away with a bit of defensive naivety. Long term, I can’t see it being his position though. 

He's received 3 red cards since he first played U18 football (181 games). The only red in professional football (109 games) was when the West Brom player faked being stamped on.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I wonder about that comment, because it is clear he can tackle and intercept, and to a lesser extent head the ball (getting better I think). His positional play is also good - which must be one of the reasons he gets in ahead of Roberts?

Don't get me wrong RoyMac he is doing well as a LB but i seem to recall PW commenting on his tackling skills as well but he has certainly improved the defensive part of his game a lot and totally deserve to be ahead of Roberfs too. All the clean sheets speak for themselves.

44 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Last season I would have had the same concerns but I wasn’t particularly worried last night. Even though I don’t think he is natural defender and has, in the past, displayed a somewhat hot headed nature, I think he deserves enormous credit for bringing this under control.

Yes, I agree, last night's yellow card wasn't because of a rash challenge, it was taking one for the team, after someone else's poor play put us in trouble.

Great for his development to be getting regular game time. It's hard to come in and out of a side and show form or improvement. He's doing well. We'll see what happens In January to see if someone comes in for him or he moves further up etc. But for now this is doing his development no end of good.