Derby County v Exeter City Tuesday 25 October

Gritstone Ram

5 hours ago, Curtains said:

I’ve not lost faith in Warne by any means he’s still adapting himself to the job . Derby is a big club and a big job. 

Certainly a lot of work to do for him and his assistants - I see his four year contract as being 2 years getting promoted from L1 and 2 years re-establishing us as a championship side. I don’t expect to see another managerial change barring some sort of absolute collapse.  As I think fans are seeing getting out of L1 is tough and takes building towards. Disappointing to see us make hard work of drawing with Exeter thought Stansfield and Sparkes looked good for them 

11 minutes ago, Monty said:

Certainly a lot of work to do for him and his assistants - I see his four year contract as being 2 years getting promoted from L1 and 2 years re-establishing us as a championship side. I don’t expect to see another managerial change barring some sort of absolute collapse.  As I think fans are seeing getting out of L1 is tough and takes building towards. Disappointing to see us make hard work of drawing with Exeter thought Stansfield and Sparkes looked good for them 

I thought Hartridge, the guy with the ponytail, was good too. 

28 minutes ago, Monty said:

All teams seem to look good against Warnes 3 at the back tactics 

Edited by Curtains
Spelling

Didnt Bird have his best match of the season when hourihane was out? Or am I getting confused? He needs to miss a game or two snd see how Max does. 
Also I dont think its an accident that our league performances have been worse with Collins out. He seemed to click with someone up top with him after PW's arrival but then stupidly got sent off. He should have stick for that (like Laurence did) as we have certainly missed him - mainly as he wont be bullied cynical league 1 defences.
Our reliance on one main experienced (aging) striker for the last few seasons has cost us dearly and that is not PW's (or LR's) fault. Thanks again Mel

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

Running the clock down, and "taking one for the team" type fouls are part of the game, sadly, but Exeter took it to extremes. You ar better than that. And the fans deserve better than that for the great support you give your team.

It's not nice and it aint pretty Dave...But we play Liverpool in a couple of weeks and if we do the exact same thing and get a draw and win on pens...we'll all be pleased.

Remember them singing "you're not famous anymore" famous we may not be...but we're a bloody big scalp to have on their coaches going home 

Well like most on here last night was underwhelming, but I have a slightly different take on  things. We actually started quite well, with 2 attempts on goal in the 1st 3 minutes. We were playing football instead of just humping the ball forwards, and Max was playing a little further forwards, obviously realising he needed to get away from Hourihane's stifling presence! And it was working, until either Hourihane realised what was going on, or Paul Warne pulled him back again, but after the opening spell we went flat. Maybe Exeter worked out how to  get into the game, but why praise them when we can blame our team/manager/tactics? Incidentally, Bird was making himself available for the ball, but kept being ignored. One occasion he moved out to right midfield and beckoned to Chester, who went the other way. Bird threw his arms out wide in frustration, which is hardly in keeping with him "hiding from the ball".

During the opening salvos he played a number of through balls to players running into the area, almost a la Gorgeous George, and which were tantalisingly close to putting the man through. And for maybe the first time in ages we had both players trying to run through, and a player who was spotting them and playing peaches of balls through to them. Yet some people still want Rosenior back, despite his stifling tippy-tappy, "don't dare take a chance" brand of football for the entirety of his time with us.

What ended the game for us was Chester getting injured, actually committing a foul for which he should have been carded! Crap refs, eh? Who'd have 'em? The injury itself wasn't the problem. It was the bizzarre substitution, pulling Sibley to LWB. Paul "I will adapt to the players available" Warne was steadfastly crippling the team to stick with his own style of play. Not good enough, and probably cost us the win. Especially when we had players on the bench to let us do a like-for-like swap. And we were flat as a fart after that. And up till then, Sibley had been producing the goods, both with attacking runs, but also putting in a shift off the ball. His yellow card may have been frustration at how the game started to go after the substitution, but it might also be frustration that yet gain, just when it looked like he was getting a run in his preferred position, his career was yet again being twatted by his manager. Why do we keep doing this to promising players?

Taking him off at half-time made sense, because Exeter were onto the situation, but it also meant that the only player who is prepared to shoot from outside the box was now taken off the pitch, when Derby are renowned for powder-puff front lines. 

Cashin continues to amaze us, and is taking on responsibility for initiating attacking moves whenever possible. Only pipped to Man of the Match by a stellar performance from old man Fozzy.

And the officials - Sibley's yellow card was correct, but made to look harsh when Blackman took Osula out on the edge of the box, but the signs were there right from kick off. He gave to free kicks against Osula when there was no physical contact whatsoever, and almost every challenge by Derby got penalised in the opening 20 minutes or so. Were Derby players holding out of challenges to make sure we didn't end up with everybody getting booked? I'm probably stretching a point, but who knows?

Were  all those weird decisions really down to his inexperience, and having never seen a crowd before? Or was it that he was hopeless at carrying out EFL instructions convincingly?

It was a tough walk back to the car last night, and I was almost glad that I didn't manage to get any Liverpool tickets. But in  reality, as many have said, when David Clowes rode into town on his big white horse, most were happy with the notion of being safely in mid-table by the end of the season. IT is still likely to happen, so why the disappointment? Blind faith? The result of singing "You're the greatest team the world has ever seen?" (In League One? Come on! )

I am almost looking forwards to Saturday, or rather I was till I realised who the Bristol manager is! Him, plus League 1 standards of  football? Heaven help us.

Better get on my knees, then!

Edited by DavesaRam

18 hours ago, plymouthram said:

What's football teams connection to the stockmarket. As for calling me out better than Nostradamus, that's not hard. If it is not working you fix it. Hence Liz Truss was booted out and I think the masses (fans) will vote with their support. If Warne's Hoofball is not working, then the ones in power will fix it.

Ive seen you regularly referring to Warne's hoofball, out of interest was you at the match last night?

24 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Well like most on here last night was underwhelming, but I have a slightly different take on  things. We actually started quite well, with 2 attempts on goal in the 1st 3 minutes. We were playing football instead of just humping the ball forwards, and Max was playing a little further forwards, obviously realising he needed to get away from Hourihane's stifling presence! And it was working, until either Hourihane realised what was going on, or Paul Warne pulled him back again, but after the opening spell we went flat. Maybe Exeter worked out how to  get into the game, but why praise them when we can blame our team/manager/tactics? Incidentally, Bird was making himself available for the ball, but kept being ignored. One occasion he moved out to right midfield and beckoned to Chester, who went the other way. Bird threw his arms out wide in frustration, which is hardly in keeping with him "hiding from the ball".

During the opening salvos he played a number of through balls to players running into the area, almost a la Gorgeous George, and which were tantalisingly close to putting the man through. And for maybe the first time in ages we had both players trying to run through, and a player who was spotting them and playing peaches of balls through to them. Yet some people still want Rosenior back, despite his stifling tippy-tappy, "don't dare take a chance" brand of football for the entirety of his time with us.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to see Birdy like this. What a useless choice it is having Hourihane in there too. 

16 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one to see Birdy like this. What a useless choice it is having Hourihane in there too. 

Birdy has become the go-to target for blaming for our lack of goals, our goals against column, poor refereeing decisions, Brexit, and the price of lolly-sticks. I am glad he has stepped up to the plate, because we haven't had anyone to blame since Keogh limped over the horizon.

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

And the officials - Sibley's yellow card was correct, but made to look harsh when Blackman took Osula out on the edge of the box, but the signs were there right from kick off. He gave to free kicks against Osula when there was no physical contact whatsoever, and almost every challenge by Derby got penalised in the opening 20 minutes or so. Were Derby players holding out of challenges to make sure we didn't end up with everybody getting booked? I'm probably stretching a point, but who knows?

Were  all those weird decisions really down to his inexperience, and having never seen a crowd before? Or was it that he was hopeless at carrying out EFL instructions convincingly?

This is the referees games this last year from Oct 26 2021...A Big Yes from me ?

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/people/Adam-Herczeg/

Adam Herczeg

Nationality:  English

Role: Referee

Over the last 12 months Adam Herczeg has refereed 29 games, comprising 2 League One games, 6 League Two games, 9 National League games, 2 Premier League 2 - Div 2 games, 6 Premier League 2 - Div 1 games, 3 EFL Trophy games and 1 EFL Cup game. In addition he has been the Fourth Official 16 times.

3 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

This is the referees games this last year from Oct 26 2021...A Big Yes from me ?

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/people/Adam-Herczeg/

Adam Herczeg

Nationality:  English

Role: Referee

Over the last 12 months Adam Herczeg has refereed 29 games, comprising 2 League One games, 6 League Two games, 9 National League games, 2 Premier League 2 - Div 2 games, 6 Premier League 2 - Div 1 games, 3 EFL Trophy games and 1 EFL Cup game. In addition he has been the Fourth Official 16 times.

Tbf with that glittering track record he's still getting used to having lino's.... ?

4 hours ago, CBRammette said:

Didnt Bird have his best match of the season when hourihane was out? Or am I getting confused? He needs to miss a game or two snd see how Max does. 
Also I dont think its an accident that our league performances have been worse with Collins out. He seemed to click with someone up top with him after PW's arrival but then stupidly got sent off. He should have stick for that (like Laurence did) as we have certainly missed him - mainly as he wont be bullied cynical league 1 defences.
Our reliance on one main experienced (aging) striker for the last few seasons has cost us dearly and that is not PW's (or LR's) fault. Thanks again Mel

I agree, if we are setting up to suit Collins then we need to have a similar type of player in the squad to cover injuries / suspensions. Obviously finances make it difficult. We need a bit of Jim Smith style 'wheeler dealing' in January ?

As disappointing as it has been in the 2 home games (2 wins from 3 league games is not at all bad) I have a few positives to take out of the negatives that give me a little bit of hope.

1.  The football against Port Vale was awful - totally by-passed the midfield with long balls.  Warne acknowledged this and took responsibility as this was not how he wants to play.  Against Exeter we resorted less to long balls

2.  First half against Exeter was awful (first 5/10 minutes were slightly better than awful) , no energy, no press, no urgency, no quality.  Warne was honest about how bad it was….. he needs a response Saturday as it will be his toughest game so far and without the response we will lose.

3.  Playing NML and Barkhuizen as wing backs is not working.  TB was totally lost against Ipswich - worst game I’ve seen him play.  NML was ineffective first half against Exeter - receiving the ball 20 yards inside our half and immediately closed down.  He needs to be playing higher up the pitch - arguably our best attacking threat stifled at wing back.  It was better 2nd half in a 4-3-3.  It remains to be seen if this was an acknowledgment that things weren’t working and demonstration of flexibility from PW or a one off.  I hope it wasn’t a one off!

4.  Despite lots of personal opinions, we do have some good players (we miss Jason Knight so much as he has the energy of 3 players).  I am also sure Paul Warne and his team are good coaches.  As long as the team are supportive of Paul Warne and vice versa they will work it out

5.  We have great support……… we need to stay behind the team and help them through this phase.  Building momentum in the run up to Christmas will give us a chance to get into the play off places.  

6 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Something to consider though... that's two games in a row where an opposition player should have been sent off, yet not even a freekick was awarded for either.

Actually Tuesday nights assault and battery wasn't a red - Osura kicked the ball sideways to an Exeter defender. Clipping the ball past the keeper would have got a red card - well it wouldn't, because this is Derby County we are talking about. One wonders if an email to Sir Rick of Parry would be in order - not that it will get any sort of response, except for a patronising reply from one of his lackies, blathering on about the high standards match officials operate to.

Edited by DavesaRam

10 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Actually Tuesday nights assault and battery wasn't a red - Osura kicked the ball sideways to an Exeter defender. Clipping the ball past the keeper would have got a red card - well it wouldn't, because this is Derby County we are talking about. One wonders if an email to Sir Rick of Parry would be in order - not that it will get any sort of response, except for a patronising reply from one of his lackies, blathering on about the high standards match officials operate to.

I keep watching it and still think it was a red, if he had got past the keeper with the ball the defenders were getting nowhere near him and it was an open goal.

22 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

What ended the game for us was Chester getting injured, actually committing a foul for which he should have been carded! Crap refs, eh? Who'd have 'em? The injury itself wasn't the problem. It was the bizzarre substitution, pulling Sibley to LWB. Paul "I will adapt to the players available" Warne was steadfastly crippling the team to stick with his own style of play. Not good enough, and probably cost us the win. Especially when we had players on the bench to let us do a like-for-like swap. And we were flat as a fart after that. And up till then, Sibley had been producing the goods, both with attacking runs, but also putting in a shift off the ball. His yellow card may have been frustration at how the game started to go after the substitution, but it might also be frustration that yet gain, just when it looked like he was getting a run in his preferred position, his career was yet again being twatted by his manager. Why do we keep doing this to promising players?

Taking him off at half-time made sense, because Exeter were onto the situation, but it also meant that the only player who is prepared to shoot from outside the box was now taken off the pitch, when Derby are renowned for powder-puff front lines. 

Cashin continues to amaze us, and is taking on responsibility for initiating attacking moves whenever possible. Only pipped to Man of the Match by a stellar performance from old man Fozzy.

It was a tough walk back to the car last night, and I was almost glad that I didn't manage to get any Liverpool tickets. But in  reality, as many have said, when David Clowes rode into town on his big white horse, most were happy with the notion of being safely in mid-table by the end of the season. IT is still likely to happen, so why the disappointment? Blind faith? The result of singing "You're the greatest team the world has ever seen?" (In League One? Come on! )

I am almost looking forwards to Saturday, or rather I was till I realised who the Bristol manager is! Him, plus League 1 standards of  football? Heaven help us.

Better get on my knees, then!

I was posting in the matchday thread and pretty sure mentioned a couple of sublime Bird passes in the first 5. Thought he was going to have a stellar night.

41 minutes ago, Yani P said:

I keep watching it and still think it was a red, if he had got past the keeper with the ball the defenders were getting nowhere near him and it was an open goal.

It would have been a red if Osura hadn't kicked the ball to the left, which sent it out of his control. Flicking the ball past the keeper creates the potential for Osura to go round the keeper following the ball. Then it would have been a red card for the foul.