Derby County v Exeter City Tuesday 25 October

Gritstone Ram

For balance, and as a former happy clapper, I’d just like to say that Cashin is a very very good player.

Likewise Wildsmith, who I think may be our only ‘L1 Team of the Year’ player. Someone on here said he can’t kick / pass. Whoever said that is either an idiot or needs an eyesight test.

32 minutes ago, S8TY said:

I think most managers would try to see if their style works in a new job and then adjust accordingly.

In an ideal world, he would have had a pre season to do that, but he arrived a fifth into the season. So can he be blamed for trying to make his mark? I am not sure it’s fair at this stage. 15 games in, I could see your point.

Will he make changes? Will he adjust? Time will tell.

If he is as switched on as his interviews suggest, we should see evidence of what he has learnt about his players and how suitable his style is in the next 5-10 games.

By the end of the year, it will be much clearer whether Warne, the players, the club are a good fit.

At the same time, the fans have to be open to a different way. Many are not, so Warne is essentially fighting a losing battle with much of the fanbase.

Edited by Jourdan

My personal insomnia at about the same level as this game.

That aside, warne made 3 changes to the previous game against ipswich but kept the same formation, which doesn't appear to be working for him.

Pw comments about ipswich being relegated with most of their younger championship level players in tact as a team, and that all ipswich needed to do was to further strengthen to achieve where they now are, seems a fair comment

Pw admitted that we shouldn't expect promotion this season, as the team needs a complete rebuild, also seems fair.

I wouldn't want to see this team promoted to the championship in its current form, or we would be doing a Rotherham and coming straight back down again.

I think under lr we would've have had a few more wins this season than pw will bring, but that longer term, pw will do what's requires to promote the team.

I criticised lr for doing something similar to pw, by sticking to a formation, but then lr actually changed formation, during a game and won the game.

It's clear to me that Derby don't have the team to make 352 work.

I thimg Pw is getting frustrated that his plans are failing at present, but I can see that he's trying to build a derby strategy.

Strategy building is a science, projects take time and don't always immediately go to plan.

Last season, pw once again promoted Rotherham from league one, he did so with the team in 2nd place, so he knows what it takes to win in this league.

He promoted Rotherham 3x and that team had a much lower budget than derby will have when we eventually get to spend it.

25 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I think most managers would try to see if their style works in a new job and then adjust accordingly.

In an ideal world, he would have had a pre season to do that, but he arrived a fifth into the season. So can he be blamed for trying to make his mark? I am not sure it’s fair at this stage. 15 games in, I could see your point.

Will he make changes? Will he adjust? Time will tell.

If he is as switched on as his interviews suggest, we should see evidence of what he has learnt about his players and how suitable his style is in the next 5-10 games.

By the end of the year, it will be much clearer whether Warne, the players, the club are a good fit.

At the same time, the fans have to be open to a different way. Many are not, so Warne is essentially fighting a losing battle with much of the fanbase.

a different way is never questioned when its working but its not....that is what i'm saying DCFC is very different to his previous job and thats a fact, we dont go into many games thinking we are underdogs and have the pull of  being able to attract a better player so use the better players more accordingly and think like a Derby manager perhaps go 433 at home and dont expect kids like Osula and Dobbin to produce when theyre relatively green still ...at home we have been very very dissapointing that is a fact

Too deflated to write my report last night. Oh dear oh dear 

But I’m not having a go at Warne. True the football wasn’t pretty but that’s a work in progress and I will be patient. We were also short of key players. Thing is Exeter had 2 or 3 skilled players of their own.  Not enough to win the game but individually, but they out fought us and kept running for 97 minutes. They earned that point. Cashin, NML and Fozzy were excellent and Dobbin played his best game in a Derby Shirt. Smith gets a mention because he did move for the ball but got ignored. The Midfield however were way too slow for any style of football and just not good enough on the night.

As to the Ref and the East stand Lino, whereabouts in Devon were they born ? The most ridiculous being that throw in at the end. The Exeter player, unchallenged kicks lumps the ball in to touch for a throw in to …yes you guessed it..Exeter. Joke !

If I can join in on the post match chat and give an away fan’s perspective…..

I enjoyed the game, but only in the way I enjoyed our 0-0 at Accrington earlier this season, I enjoyed watching two teams battle it out with loads of endeavour, even if there wasn’t much creativity on show. I enjoyed watching my beloved little old Exeter playing in a proper stadium against a proper club with proper fans. And I enjoyed singing my heart out for the lads until I now sound like Barry White.

As for the game, if I was a Derby fan I would be disappointed. You were the better side and the referee was poor for you, amazing for us. I didn’t think our keeper should have been sent off due to the ball going left and our covering defenders, but he certainly should have been booked and a free kick given. Amazing decision - as were lots of goal kicks / throw ins, especially the one in the last minute which was just in front of us. Hilarious.

I thought you looked a solid side, you just couldn’t create much in the last third, so although I thought you were the better side you didn’t really trouble our keeper, apart from the free kick which drew an excellent save from him. 

The reason we celebrated the final whistle so much was not only that we’d come to the home of a genuine footballing ‘big club’ and got a point, but we’ve had horrendous defensive injury problems in recent weeks, two of our players are staring down the barrel of a court appearance after their actions on Saturday night (I’m on their side by the way), we’ve had a new manager for 24 hours and we’ve got a team full of academy graduates. 

Finally (thanks for humouring me), what did you make of our support? I’m always interested in the other team’s view of us - did our numbers surprise you? Could you hear us? Can never tell with stadium acoustics. I thought your support was great considering how low you are in the football league compared to your history and also considering it wasn’t the most exciting game to watch.

Anyway, thanks for letting me join in. I might pop back when we play you at home next Spring. Good luck for the rest of the season. COYR (works for Reds and Rams).

Edited by fred binneys head

Really suprising turnout fbh for a night game. Yes your fans were good and supported your team very well. Fair play that most of them will not see their beds until 2 or 3pm. You have a few talented players who kept us at bay. The referee and linesmen were Sunday league standard at best. It is such a shame these officials get a game every week. Thought our attendance was pretty good considering it was half term etc. but atmosphere was way down on what it normally is. Thanks for your kind words about your experience. We are proud of PP and how our fans still turn up. Good luck for the rest of the season (except when we come down there). UTR!

6 hours ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

On an exciting night at Pride Park my personal highlight was my annual purchase of a Bovril.

I’m not a big fan but once a year or so I succumb to the idea of a beefy hot beverage. It was mediocre but still a highlight.

I thought you’d want to know.

My best memory from last night was me, and those around me, commenting on how Rammy seems to have on a few pounds. ?

As to last night's game I am a bit baffled why Hourihane is on from the start. Yes his shot in the second half brought a brilliant save and he also pinged a great crossfield  ball in the second half but other than that I didn't see much that he contributed to the team. I don't think Bird is a captain. He seems to have a weight on his shoulders and is not enjoying his football. Fozzie and Cashin were good but overall it is a work in progress. The 'togetherness ' of the players also seems to be ebbing away as well. Normally all the players clap the fans at full time but only a few stayed on to do this. Yes they were disappointed but so were we the fans. Come on lads show us a bit more on Saturday. We will turn up but please can you! UTR.

Ps. Officials were absolutely laughable last night!

46 minutes ago, fred binneys head said:

If I can join in on the post match chat and give an away fan’s perspective…..

I enjoyed the game, but only in the way I enjoyed our 0-0 at Accrington earlier this season, I enjoyed watching two teams battle it out with loads of endeavour, even if there wasn’t much creativity on show. I enjoyed watching my beloved little old Exeter playing in a proper stadium against a proper club with proper fans. And I enjoyed singing my heart out for the lads until I now sound like Barry White.

As for the game, if I was a Derby fan I would be disappointed. You were the better side and the referee was poor for you, amazing for us. I didn’t think our keeper should have been sent off due to the ball going left and our covering defenders, but he certainly should have been booked and a free kick given. Amazing decision - as were lots of goal kicks / throw ins, especially the one in the last minute which was just in front of us. Hilarious.

I thought you looked a solid side, you just couldn’t create much in the last third, so although I thought you were the better side you didn’t really trouble our keeper, apart from the free kick which drew an excellent save from him. 

The reason we celebrated the final whistle so much was not only that we’d come to the home of a genuine footballing ‘big club’ and got a point, but we’ve had horrendous defensive injury problems in recent weeks, two of our players are staring down the barrel of a court appearance after their actions on Saturday night (I’m on their side by the way), we’ve had a new manager for 24 hours and we’ve got a team full of academy graduates. 

Finally (thanks for humouring me), what did you make of our support? I’m always interested in the other team’s view of us - did our numbers surprise you? Could you hear us? Can never tell with stadium acoustics. I thought your support was great considering how low you are in the football league compared to your history and also considering it wasn’t the most exciting game to watch.

Anyway, thanks for letting me join in. I might pop back when we play you at home next Spring. Good luck for the rest of the season. COYR (works for Reds and Rams).

Great support last night from Exeter fans, really surprised at how many made such a long journey on a Tuesday night, puts a few championship sides to shame, and good noise throughout. Great job and well played!

1 hour ago, jono said:

You might be right from an influence point of view but Sibley was a red card waiting to happen and Dobbin made a real difference.

Sibley wasn't the only player who'd been booked. Plus he hasn't looked a red card waiting to happen this season and Dobbin did the exact sum of what? The real difference was a bit of running and losing the ball. We could have had them both on if Warne just wanted players 'to run'!

Was at the game and three things struck me about the performance.

Once again we had two midfield players in Bird and Hourihane who rarely presented for the ball and who did little with the possession we had. We will never be successful if we can’t manage the transition from midfield to attack.

Secondly, we still cannot head a football to an opponent. Every other team manages it. If the players closed their eyes they couldn’t hit an opponent so unerringly.

Third and final point was how flat the team looked. If they can’t get up for a game watched on a Tuesday evening by 24,000 people struggling to pay their bills then Warne really does have a difficult job.

If they start the game similarly on Saturday Bristol Rovers will kick three past them. They’re not great defensively but they do score goals and put teams under pressure. We were lucky last night that Exeter didn’t have much up front.

Dobbin, Smith, Cashin and Roberts were okay. Was surprised Forsyth got MOM as he didn’t really influence the game and didn’t have much to do defensively.

Bird can’t be captain whilst he’s putting in such vanilla performances.

8 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

You've said it and other people have said it and the more it gets trotted out the more I just can't accept what a blinkered narrow minded view it is - why not for a moment open your horizons to the fact that Warne will be given at least a couple of transfer windows to recruit the players HE wants so it doesn't mean a rat's ass what players were at the club when he first joined FGS it's irrelevant ?

What's so hard about that to accept?

The problem being ,we are run by the EFL for three years .Will Warne be allowed to “get who he wants”. Will the EFL make sure we are in League 1 (or worse) for three years? Probably I would say.

Sibley's had three very poor games ending him in being taken off at halftime partly because he's rubbish and partly because he collects yellow cards for fun. not sure why to be honest. It comes to something when we have to bring on an ageing striker before halftime to try and give us any spark upfront. I hope PW is a success, but I feel it's going to be too late this season and we'll be well out of the top six before we can get players in, I'm not 100% we won't get dragged into a relegation fight.  I hope I'm wrong though.

1 minute ago, Tricky1884 said:

Sibley's had three very poor games ending him in being taken off at halftime partly because he's rubbish and partly because he collects yellow cards for fun. not sure why to be honest. It comes to something when we have to bring on an ageing striker before halftime to try and give us any spark upfront. I hope PW is a success, but I feel it's going to be too late this season and we'll be well out of the top six before we can get players in, I'm not 100% we won't get dragged into a relegation fight.  I hope I'm wrong though.

Might I suggest that could have been Hourihane, McGoldrick, Osula and several others. The others don't look as dangerous as Sibley further up the pitch - but that's okay because he's gonna be a LWB. ?

7 hours ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

On an exciting night at Pride Park my personal highlight was my annual purchase of a Bovril.

I’m not a big fan but once a year or so I succumb to the idea of a beefy hot beverage. It was mediocre but still a highlight.

I thought you’d want to know.

Lucky you.

We stopped off at Tim Hortons for some fast food.

It arrived 40 minutes later and then the order was wrong. I wasn’t going to change it!

Total chaos, and some waited longer than us.

Still, it was Liz and Kwasi’s first day…

8 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Well the wrist slashes appear to be out in full force tonight.

At the start of the season, I like everyone else was relieved we still had a club.

I was also hoping  the team would get through this season, sitting comfortably in mid-table, without the threat of being dragged into a relegation battle, which it presently looks to be in no danger of doing. Allowing the rebuilding process to take pkace, in readiness for us to kick-on the following season.

So while I've been disappointed with some of our performances, under both Rosenior and Warne.

Overall with where we were back in June, I'll not be applying for membership of the association of wrist slashes any time soon.

I've previously put it down to a sense of entitlement, I still think that's the case. Some thought, whatever they say, that this league was going to be cake walk when - in particular this season - it was always going to be a hard slog, as it is proving. Bare minimum Warne needs is a full season, then we'll see where we are.

I've also said previously that having negative people around you is toxic to your wellbeing - Having gone on mass 'ignore' last night, I feel some catharsis has occurred!

It’s just all a bit dull isn’t it, I thought we would start fairly quickly with our recruitment but I do worry about the upcoming period where games come fast and our leggy team will become even more leggy.

there have been very few easy games, most of the wins were very hard fought but we were warned this would be the case.

gonna be a long season but I desperately hope warne works his magic and it doesn’t turn into a long few years