Ipswich v Derby (A) Matchday Thread - ‘and it’s live’

i-Ram

18 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Sibley was one of our better players tonight and played very well at Accrington. Not sure why you are picking him out for criticism. Other than Wildsmith and Cashin, nobody really had an outstanding game for us tonight.

Hi sibley how’s the morale of the team bus? 

5 minutes ago, DCFC_Sloth said:

I’m not suggesting Warne leaves, or that I want him gone, but I think some questions can be raised about how he is setting us up. NML and Barks as wingbacks seems counter productive and leave us exposed and stops them being effective further up the pitch. Surely fozzy or Robert’s should be in one of those spots. We have really technical players in midfield, but we are just bypassing them - bird had some of the lowest number of touches for any player on the pitch. It is a worry to me that he is seemingly setting us up like his Rotherham team when we don’t have players suited to that. He needs more time, but right now I don’t think he’s getting the most out of the tools at his disposal and that is concerning. 

Agreed and I do think he will adapt, just not as quickly as many want. 

5 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:
12 minutes ago, Oldben said:

I ask the question, is our team terrible.

Is pw terrible, he got Rotherham promoted 3 times from this league, so I'd have thought we would be doing better.

If the issue is the tactics, how's that possible, considering he got Rotherham promoted 3 times from this league.

We've only played a few games under Warne so we shouldn't jump to conclusions.

The immediate problem in my opinion is the system. We're playing a 352 with players who do not suit the formation. It's square pegs in round holes again. We just look lost at times. To play that system you need proper wingbacks, we don't have any.

He is obviously a good manager, getting a club like Rotherham promoted 3 times isn't luck. The squad we have also has good players. But maybe not the right combination of players at this time for what Warne is trying to do.

I think we are all coming to the right conclusion, Paul Warne is not the right fit for this current squad of players we have. Somebody at Derby convinced Daid Clowes to bring him in and give him a 4 year contract. Clowes also stated after Warne's appointment that promotion was what he wanted this season. I stated straight away, after Warne was given the job, it was the wrong choice and I'm still convinced the club have balls up in this appointment.

8 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

I think we clearly struggled to get of all the players we wanted, right back being the obvious issue. But as you say, it’s very obvious that we were building towards a 433/4231 possession-based system. Literally the antithesis of the the way Warne wants us to play.

The really frustrating thing for me is that we will never have a better chance to build a team from scratch. There’s nobody here that doesn’t want to be here. There’s no leftovers from a previous managers style. We had the chance to decide exactly what we wanted to be and then go and do it. And we’ve absolutely ****ed that chance.

Nailed. Rosenior might not have been the solution, because he lacked some experience, but really we just needed to finesse our passing game, taking a few more risks when we got in the final third. I just don’t get the Warne appointment. The squad that has been assembled is not equipped to play 352 against ‘decent’ sides. Still think we might get in the playoffs, but I am not expecting too much pretty football in the months ahead.

9 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

We have to give him at least the season…….whether he does well or not.

He’s not going to walk when on a 4 year contract and I don’t see clowes wanting to pay money sacking a manager when he ideally didn’t want to put the money in the buy the club. Like it or lump it warnes here for the foreseeable and tbh I think he’s the right man to get us out but needs another season at least. Unfortunately he’s been bought in now when we stupidly had a window where we bought in players to suit another managers style 

Edited by Barney1991

11 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I'm not a betting man but if I were, I'd put money on Derby NOT being relegated. We may be 13 points of the automatic promotion place but, we're still only 1 point off the play offs (4 at worse after the weekend). For the record, I'm not saying we'll make the play offs but to be talking about relegation at this stage is pessimistic beyond belief. We may only be 8 points off the relegation zone but there are 15 teams below us.

It was a tongue in cheek reply to another comment about us getting promotion next season. I don't think we will be in a relegation battle this season. But I'm not convinced with our current manager, totally the wrong man for the job and would not be surprised if he gets the boot this season or the begining of next season.

Utterly bonkers comments about Warne on here. Three promotions to his name and people writing him off after 5-6 games. A cobbled together side of youth and freebies he's been handed. Knight and Collins unavailable and little depth elsewhere. 

Multi-year plan here, no need for overreactions after losing to a team going up via the autos. 

6 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Can't give what he cannot see. That's why he has "assistants". Delay from the linesman was probably waiting on the ref.

Watch the replays. It's blatant.

Still not convinced, sorry. See your point though.

Pity these assistants can’t see ankle breaking tackles on our centre mid!