Cambridge Utd v Derby (A) matchday thread

archram

Good start for the new regime and what a good time to put the away form hoodoo to bed.

It may not have been pretty at times, but we really ground out a good result against a really tough team.

Collins and Bird were the top performers and there are special mentions for Wildsmith who did have many saves to make but had a lot of ariel work to do, Cashins performance also deserves a mention.

Everyone else did well and hit the performance levels we need. 

On to the next one and hopefully another three points!

3 hours ago, OohMartWright said:

Disappointing to see two blocks of seating left empty, one at each end of the away stand. That’s a few hundred Rams fans who have missed out unnecessarily. And lost revenue for Cambridge, who could probably do with it.

All the latecomers got put in there, instead of pushing along the rows trying to find spare seats. Worked a treat, but I agree it limits the away following. 

Given the horrendous traffic jams after the game - didn't get off our car park until nearly 6 pm - I wonder if that is a factor in limiting away fan numbers? 

Well it was a bit frantic and scrappy at times but that’s what was needed , we chased every ball ,won tackles ,went after them the minute we had the ball and never gave them a minute when they had it ,,,,, result ? , they never had time to settle , get back in shape , have a breather or build confidence thinking this lot just knock it around they’re own Half and don’t hurt us ,

job done ,first away win , two away goals , clean sheet and no heart stopping ffs moments gifting them the easy opportunity to hurt us ,

would much rather risk giving away a goal trying to score than trying to look all fancy Dan in front of our own goal ,

get this players fitter and we match anybody in this division for a fight and better most with quality ,

can’t wait for next Saturday in the east stand ,,,, get into them 

53 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Ehhh Cashin was excellent but it was noticeable the more the wing backs knackered out the harder it became.

I will say I don't remain wholly convinced by Chester. He was fine, just think we might need someone better on the ball and a bit quicker.

Unpopular opinion but I think Curtis looks way off it since his injury and he’s landed us in trouble a few times not being able to get back quick enough, I think Rooney and Cashin alongside another will be the long term solution, and I do hope Curtis gets back to his best. 

10 minutes ago, YouRams said:

Unpopular opinion but I think Curtis looks way off it since his injury and he’s landed us in trouble a few times not being able to get back quick enough, I think Rooney and Cashin alongside another will be the long term solution, and I do hope Curtis gets back to his best. 

He wobbled a teeny bit in the first half, causing Cash a bit of a risky challenge. But he came through (think he took a knock early on) and put in some great interception headers and looked much steadier than Chester.

Edited by RoyMac5

40 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

Paul Warne in the match reaction is hilarious, ' if a player don't run for us, he will be sat behind me'. Every interview he does is funny and entertaining, it's quite a different/honest and refreshing approach to football. Paul Warnes black and white army.

I kind of like the .. I’m pretending to be an old fashioned sergeant major, but I am only joking, or … just maybe I’m not.

There’s a healthy sounding realism and grit (tempered with humour ) without abandoning the necessary human tree hugging sensitivity 

4 minutes ago, jono said:

I kind of like the .. I’m pretending to be an old fashioned sergeant major, but I am only joking, or … just maybe I’m not.

There’s a healthy sounding realism and grit (tempered with humour ) without abandoning the necessary human tree hugging sensitivity 

He is different from the usual clichéd, generic jargon most managers use ?

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

I am concerned. No, I am very concerned.

For the rest of the division.

?

?????? Thing is I believe we have a group with significantly above average ball skills. It’s a question of adapting to a league where that difference can be made to count in terms of goals for rather than just possession. It wasn’t crude today but it understood how the game is played in this league and our relative strength showed. Cambs are a sound mid table side. They had opportunities, were an occasional threat but now we understand the gig, the stats are real 

Well that was fun and first away match of season.
Happiest for Max Bird - great to see him back thriving. Collins was excellent everywhere not just the goals and have not been huge fan to date but he was busy today. Knight the midfield terrier where we need him. Osula really unsettled them and stronger than expecting. So funny how ropey his song was at first and felt bad for few players who still dont have a song!  Any else have tequila on on way home? 
Saw a Cambridge fan we knew outside after and he said "god we were loud today!" ??‍♀️?So bragging rights for my son at school Monday.

And finally lovely to meet @angieram. Assume you enjoyed that!?

Edited by CBRammette

11 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

He is different from the usual clichéd, generic jargon most managers use ?

I really liked Liam. Have huge respect for him as a man, but in his interviews he too often sounded like he’d swallowed the latest self improvement guru’s book in its entirety, with ketchup on top. Got a different chef now. Juries out but signs are good.

Lovely to see James Collins prosper. Way too much pedigree at this level to be down too long. Max Bird too. We know what Max has in his locker creatively speaking, but today he rolled his sleeves up and did a man's job, excelling in the process.

If their performances are a sign of things to come, we're play-off bound at very least. 

COYR

Good result & good performance but today just shows how fine the margins in football can be. A minute before the break, Collins chases the ball down & pressures the CB into airkicking the ball before slotting the ball home. Two months ago at the Valley - same time in the game & with the score at 0-0, Collins muscles the defender out of the way for a very similar chance but hits the post. We of course went on to be mugged 0-1.

That said, I was impressed with how proactive we were today & two players in particular stood out in that regard. James Collins is the obvious first one - his hold up play was very good & he looked much more assertive in that final 3rd. Two good finishes too & I fully expect him to kick on given how Warne tends to set his teams up. The biggest change though was Max Bird - thought he was superb today & stepping up the pitch suited him & the team massively. Rarely see him moving with the ball but he did that on a few occasions, his defensive work enabled us to win the ball higher up the pitch & his great range of passing enabled us to cut Cambridge open - most notably for Collins' 2nd.

We also got more bodies into the box (something I had been critical of previously) & was also pleased to hear a comment from Warne post match about abandoning triangles/intricate build up from wide when looking to get the ball into the box & instead looking to trust the wide man & get bodies into the box. Have to say Cambridge were very ordinary indeed but would accept that we imposed ourselves on them from the first whistle.

p.s. loving the new Osula song ? - look forward to singing that at Accrington. Well done to all that travelled - dominated the noise today ?

42 minutes ago, angieram said:

All the latecomers got put in there, instead of pushing along the rows trying to find spare seats. Worked a treat, but I agree it limits the away following. 

Given the horrendous traffic jams after the game - didn't get off our car park until nearly 6 pm - I wonder if that is a factor in limiting away fan numbers? 

I ended up walking back to the Park and Ride car park and so it wasn’t that bad. Back in Tamworth for 7:15 (and no, I didn’t leave before the final whistle and the players came over).