How have our expectations now changed?

Hoppo

A couple of months ago everyone was just hoping that we would still exist the next morning. As the take over happened we were hoping with 5 players we could survive league 1. After a good rummage around we incredibly managed to recruit some quality experienced players and people were talking top half of the table would be a good finish and with a period of stabilisation and maybe push for promotion next season. Once we started to see the quality of the players, though not quite yet gelling together, more hope was put on a top six finish.

With the imminent appointment of a new manager should we now be expecting to win the Division? Top two finish? Play offs? What is a realistic expectation when Warne is in place?

A modicum of turmoil (again), I (almost) missed it.

I just want a period of calm where we talk about football, watch football and see where that takes us. LR did OK and I am not convinced we needed a change. He could have been helped with a stronger backroom staff with more experience to lean on. imho, but that's it.

With the players we've got, and some of the football we've shown in patches, we should be looking at play offs minimum.  I think most people's predictions of top half finish was a bit of kidology as we didn't know how quickly the new squad would gel.  If Warne can get the best out of Chester, NML, Barkhauzen, Hourihane, Sibley, Knight, McGoldrick & Collins we should be top 6 minimum.

I've said this a lot, but we have very good players for this level, and on paper we have arguably the best starting XI.  I know you don't win anything on a sheet of A4, and Sunderland, Ipswich, Portsmouth, Peterborough & Wednesday had strong teams and failed to go up, but those clubs came down the previous seasons because they were crap.  We didn't, we weren't amazing last season by any stretch, but we weren't the basket cases a lot of this season's divisional rivals were.

Optimistic pessimism. We still have a group of players that are relatively new to each other. Due to circumstances we found ourselves behind on our preseason prep so have been playing catch up ever since.

All that we've worked on so far appears as though it may be ripped up and started all over. However if PW(not yet confirmed) is the new man and, as mooted, is a great motivator and fitness fanatic then I remain optimistic he can pick up the baton very quickly. This won't be easy so a tad of pessimism still remains. 

2 hours ago, Hoppo said:

A couple of months ago everyone was just hoping that we would still exist the next morning. As the take over happened we were hoping with 5 players we could survive league 1. After a good rummage around we incredibly managed to recruit some quality experienced players and people were talking top half of the table would be a good finish and with a period of stabilisation and maybe push for promotion next season. Once we started to see the quality of the players, though not quite yet gelling together, more hope was put on a top six finish.

With the imminent appointment of a new manager should we now be expecting to win the Division? Top two finish? Play offs? What is a realistic expectation when Warne is in place?

Hopefully better than 7th.

2 hours ago, Hoppo said:

LR was interim for a reason.

We need to stop being sentimental for a moment and realise Derby County is a business and a business that strives to be as high up the leagues as possible.

Clowes is a business man and I'm guessing its been very hard to step back from being a supporter and make decisions based on getting Derby County back where we belong. We don't belong in L1 and the longer we stay in there, the same as the Championship, the bigger the risk you end up struggling to get out and into the next highest league. 

We're 7th in the league without winning away from home, without scoring away from home. That shows you how rubbish this league really is and we should be bossing the top 2 places.

Why act at Christmas when potentially we're mid table and chasing. Act now so that we can push our way into the top 2 and stay there.

Just for one minute put yourself in Clowes shoes. The gamble he's taken is huuuuuuge taking on the club he loves. 

We just need to back him because his interests are the same as ours but now on a much bigger scale. 

1 minute ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

LR was interim for a reason.

We need to stop being sentimental for a moment and realise Derby County is a business and a business that strives to be as high up the leagues as possible.

Clowes is a business man and I'm guessing its been very hard to step back from being a supporter and make decisions based on getting Derby County back where we belong. We don't belong in L1 and the longer we stay in there, the same as the Championship, the bigger the risk you end up struggling to get out and into the next highest league. 

We're 7th in the league without winning away from home, without scoring away from home. That shows you how rubbish this league really is and we should be bossing the top 2 places.

Why act at Christmas when potentially we're mid table and chasing. Act now so that we can push our way into the top 2 and stay there.

Just for one minute put yourself in Clowes shoes. The gamble he's taken is huuuuuuge taking on the club he loves. 

We just need to back him because his interests are the same as ours but now on a much bigger scale. 

Usually a manager is replaced after a poor run of results. Liam has cobbled together a squad in a matter of weeks and got us to 7th. Good enough for me. How do you know Warne will improve things? As I commented earlier, if we are 10th at Christmas, 8 points from the play offs, what do you do then? 

11 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Usually a manager is replaced after a poor run of results. Liam has cobbled together a squad in a matter of weeks and got us to 7th. Good enough for me. How do you know Warne will improve things? As I commented earlier, if we are 10th at Christmas, 8 points from the play offs, what do you do then? 

0 goals and 0 away wins all season is a terrible run of results. The same as last season away from home, nothing has changed and we're in a worse league with arguably better players. 

We haven't look very convincing at home and lost a 2-0 lead against promotion rivals. Not good enough. 

We had to leave it to the last 20 minutes to scrape by Wycombe.

1 hour ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

0 goals and 0 away wins all season is a terrible run of results. The same as last season away from home, nothing has changed and we're in a worse league with arguably better players. 

We haven't look very convincing at home and lost a 2-0 lead against promotion rivals. Not good enough. 

We had to leave it to the last 20 minutes to scrape by Wycombe.

You're right it's not been much different than last season where we also had 4 away games in a row without scoring early on (15 goals total in 23 away games was shocking), but Rosenior has shown a willingness to change things - even if I think Wycombe wasn't the appropriate game to change them in.

Again it begs the question how long you give Warne after this. After all he is a more experienced & successful League One manager, so theoretically we're in a better position again and the expectations should increase further still.

If he comes in and tries to change the style too much we could see lots more disjointed performances like how we started against Wycombe.

You've set out your position that we should be 'bossing the top 2' which I simply don't think is realistic at all at this stage, we simply don't have that much squad depth, we're playing against teams who've been together for a lot longer than us, and we don't have  enough 'easy' goals throughout the team. Plenty of mercurial talent with potential for great strikes, but not many of the (s)crap(py) goals that are teams' bread and butter at this level.

Edited by Kokosnuss

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I would have been happy with no change. there has been some enjoyable football  this season . But the memory of watching away matches since Cocu to current time has been very frustrating. The stats for recent away form are stark but also very unusual in that points away from home have been so rare. Rosenior has been a coach for all this time and even when interim manager has not sorted things. There is no guarantee as to how much Warne will improve this but that's where gratitude to David Clowes will mute my criticism

My worry is that if Warne does decide to change things up (and let's face it he has to, otherwise why would we go for him?) it might just unsettle what was showing signs of working.

The team in my opinion were just getting it together. It might take a new regime with a different playing philosophy another 9 or 10 games to get it right and get the players in that mindset, which could see us further down the ladder than we are now.

Hopefully, we will get the obligatory new manager bounce and he will be able to maintain it.

4 hours ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Championship must be rubbish as well then because Rotherham are 8th with the same number of ppg and no away wins either. They have scored a couple of away goals though (2), so that's a weight off my mind. 

I'll support the team as ever and judge Warne on more than 9 league games, but giving him a 4 year contract has a very familiar and uncomfortable ring to it. I do hope that, if results take a downward turn, people remember where sacking managers on long contracts got us last time and show a bit of patience. 

7 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Championship must be rubbish as well then because Rotherham are 8th with the same number of ppg and no away wins either. They have scored a couple of away goals though (2), so that's a weight off my mind. 

I'll support the team as ever and judge Warne on more than 9 league games, but giving him a 4 year contract has a very familiar and uncomfortable ring to it. I do hope that, if results take a downward turn, people remember where sacking managers on long contracts got us last time and show a bit of patience. 

How long did you expect Rosenior to get?