Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

I have to say, after listening to the whole of Moment Of Truth over the past few days, I'm looking forward to Warne's reign. I definitely thought he came across as a bit of a plonker, but he won me round by the end. There's no doubting his ability to motivate those Rotherham lads and hope he gets time to create a similar bond at our club. More than anything, and maybe this is really a bigger compliment for the podcasts format, but I really enjoyed his emotional honesty and transparency. Maybe he'll come across totally different without a BTS podcast eavesdropping into all the goings-on, but I find him a fairly refreshing personality in football. Can't think of many quite like him really. 

1 hour ago, SaffyRam said:

Is it just me who’s feeling a bit meh??

Can’t really put my finger on why I’m feeling a bit meh ?‍♀️

Feeling nothing until I see a few games under him and see how we do.

Certainly not getting carried away on the basis of a few decent press conferences and interviews. Plenty of managers talk a good game and I’ve seen it all before. I’ll judge him on performances and results not his gregarious and sensitive nature ?.

Having said that, I’ve also seen nothing to be negative about either. At least he hasn’t said he’s going to concentrate on playing 11 me behind the ball and catching teams on the break!

Honestly really enjoyed his presser but you don’t get any league points for interviews

I am very wary of the media love in.

Rowett was maybe the most media savvy manager that we’ve had in my time (that bloke would have sent his son to North Korea if it meant he got a feature on football focus) but was also my least favourite Derby manager by a country mile and an arrogant little fraud

I see Owen Bradley tweeting ‘Paul Warne is the nicest man I’ve ever met ?’ and just remember him saying the same s*** about Paul Clement

Yeah he speaks well and is comfortable in interviews but I just don’t think that makes a successful manager

What I think you can gleam from that is actually informative:

- sitting with the rest of his staff and being social with the players, to me that sounds very self assured. Doesn’t seem like there’s an ego there, he’s not there to be the alpha male.

- Was pushed by a reporter for a Premier League quote but avoided the whole ‘get this club back where it belongs’ shtick and seemed very conscious that he may not be the one to do it (if it ever happens). Used the word ‘potentially’ a lot and just seemed very aware that football is football, he could be sacked. Lives in reality.

- already set up the idea we might not go up this year, to me it sounds like he has a two year plan and has been told by Clowes we need to be promoted out of League One by end of next season. Take into account what Rosenior said about being set a target by Clowes (that he didn’t meet) and that’s a reasonable assumption. AKA it’s a 4 year contract but really it’s 2 years.

- didn’t really pay homage to ‘how wonderful the fans are’ etc which yet again seems very assured, I don’t think he’s going to be affected by fan opinion/pressure or starting any bounces any time soon

- spoke about football as entertainment and theatre, a lot of people seemed worried we’re going to get defensive football but that quote indicates differently

Looking forward to seeing how he sets the team up on Saturday.

2 hours ago, SaffyRam said:

No not just you. Not sure why either. Was enjoying low key vibe with Liam. Feels bit back to the circus. To be fair think thats down to media - a silly presenter on Radio Derby wittering on and on about brie either side of press conference was so annoying. But if we win 4-0 at Cambridge will rampage through Tesco destroying brie on his behalf.  Its also bad news week generally so prob some of it

2 hours ago, SaffyRam said:

Same tbh and not just because I believe Warne is ultimately the wrong choice for us. There's something about Rosenior leaving that's left me quite empty on excitement regarding the 'new era'.

4 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Honestly really enjoyed his presser but you don’t get any league points for interviews

I am very wary of the media love in.

Rowett was maybe the most media savvy manager that we’ve had in my time (that bloke would have sent his son to North Korea if it meant he got a feature on football focus) but was also my least favourite Derby manager by a country mile and an arrogant little fraud

I see Owen Bradley tweeting ‘Paul Warne is the nicest man I’ve ever met ?’ and just remember him saying the same s*** about Paul Clement

Yeah he speaks well and is comfortable in interviews but I just don’t think that makes a successful manager

What I think you can gleam from that is actually informative:

- sitting with the rest of his staff and being social with the players, to me that sounds very self assured. Doesn’t seem like there’s an ego there, he’s not there to be the alpha male.

- Was pushed by a reporter for a Premier League quote but avoided the whole ‘get this club back where it belongs’ shtick and seemed very conscious that he may not be the one to do it (if it ever happens). Used the word ‘potentially’ a lot and just seemed very aware that football is football, he could be sacked. Lives in reality.

- already set up the idea we might not go up this year, to me it sounds like he has a two year plan and has been told by Clowes we need to be promoted out of League One by end of next season. Take into account what Rosenior said about being set a target by Clowes (that he didn’t meet) and that’s a reasonable assumption. AKA it’s a 4 year contract but really it’s 2 years.

- didn’t really pay homage to ‘how wonderful the fans are’ etc which yet again seems very assured, I don’t think he’s going to be affected by fan opinion/pressure or starting any bounces any time soon

- spoke about football as entertainment and theatre, a lot of people seemed worried we’re going to get defensive football but that quote indicates differently

Looking forward to seeing how he sets the team up on Saturday.

Rowett was a one-dimensional character of which there are thousands. In his interview Warne displayed many more layers at which he operates. Of course by Christmas we could all be thinking 4 years, WTF? 

I would have been happy for Rosenior to stay as manager but as the owner has replaced him, he has at least found a credible choice.

9 hours ago, SaffyRam said:

Think it’s quite normal to feel like that after the last decade we’ve had! 
He’s got about 10 games until the World Cup & I don’t expect us to win them all, but we’ll certainly have an idea how we’ll be playing by then. Sit back & grab a bag of popcorn. 

10 hours ago, SaffyRam said:

I think it’s down to the fact that he’s not a big name manager (probably a good thing) and he’s only ever managed one club before so it’s difficult to get too excited. However, I agree with @LazloW. There’s not much to be negative so the response is very likely to be judge him on his achievements at Derby and not what he’s done before or because of his name. I reckon that’s what he would want and expect as well.

22 minutes ago, swanny said:

I was encouraged by the chat about working with the strikers and more balls into the box. Our strikers have been very involved but not in the areas were they score goals. this single thing could make the difference if he gets it right

And saying about them demanding the ball - did anyone 'demand' anything under Liam? ?

10 hours ago, SaffyRam said:

I agree, Saffy. 

The interview and all the media around it has made me feel uncomfortable,  it's all overkill at this stage.

It went on too long - very complicated answers, thought Warne was trying too hard. My comment about the coffee was only partly in jest, he really needs to calm down a bit! Maybe the club could do the same. We've hardly signed up Fergie - and if we have he's more Darren than Alex! 

From where I sit, the fans were enjoying the fact we were trying to play football, weren't calling for the manager's head, so there's that bit of unease around the way Liam has been treated. He failed his target - so what was that? We were seventh after the start to the season we had, hardly dismissal material.

As for Warne, I didn't like him before, he's very aggressive on the touchline, a bit of a bully with the officials, I sit above the away dug out so see it every game. Seems to encourage his players in the dark arts, Crooks springs to mind as an example. A good footballer, but playing on the edge of legitimacy all the time - more bullying.

I think some players will respond well to him, but others? I don't know. I know I wouldn't want my boss texting me all hours with snippets - there needs to be boundaries, imo.

So, all that touchy feely stuff left me feeling a bit underwhelmed. 

However, what I did like, was when he started talking tactics. He suddenly grabbed my attention and I liked what I was hearing. My fears about the sort of football we're going to see have subsided somewhat, especially as we've not got those sorts of players available to him (currently).

If he can deliver what he says, and if he can tone it down a bit, I'll be happy. But I'm not in the fanclub yet! 

48 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

And saying about them demanding the ball - did anyone 'demand' anything under Liam? ?

If they did,they didn't get it.......it was normally despatched back to the keeper to be "recycled".

One of the quirks of roseniors game that I certainly won't be missing,along with "delighted".

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

At this stage, as with any manager, it’s  all a wait and see. Can’t say I’m hugely for it, but at least I’m not against it (Nigel Pearson, anyone?). 

The one thing I will say though, is it is lovely to not be obsessed with celebrity for once. There’s no Lampard, Ashley Cole, Wayne Rooney, Cocu etc etc. even Rosenior to a degree was a tv guy. It’s finally nice to have none of it still in the club. 

11 minutes ago, angieram said:

I agree, Saffy. 

The interview and all the media around it has made me feel uncomfortable,  it's all overkill at this stage.

It went on too long - very complicated answers, thought Warne was trying too hard. My comment about the coffee was only partly in jest, he really needs to calm down a bit! Maybe the club could do the same. We've hardly signed up Fergie - and if we have he's more Darren than Alex! 

From where I sit, the fans were enjoying the fact we were trying to play football, weren't calling for the manager's head, so there's that bit of unease around the way Liam has been treated. He failed his target - so what was that? We were seventh after the start to the season we had, hardly dismissal material.

As for Warne, I didn't like him before, he's very aggressive on the touchline, a bit of a bully with the officials, I sit above the away dug out so see it every game. Seems to encourage his players in the dark arts, Crooks springs to mind as an example. A good footballer, but playing on the edge of legitimacy all the time - more bullying.

I think some players will respond well to him, but others? I don't know. I know I wouldn't want my boss texting me all hours with snippets - there needs to be boundaries, imo.

So, all that touchy feely stuff left me feeling a bit underwhelmed. 

However, what I did like, was when he started talking tactics. He suddenly grabbed my attention and I liked what I was hearing. My fears about the sort of football we're going to see have subsided somewhat, especially as we've not got those sorts of players available to him (currently).

If he can deliver what he says, and if he can tone it down a bit, I'll be happy. But I'm not in the fanclub yet! 

I wasn’t enjoying the tippy tippy stuff .

The fans were appalled at Lincoln with the performance 

4 minutes ago, Srg said:

At this stage, as with any manager, it’s  all a wait and see. Can’t say I’m hugely for it, but at least I’m not against it (Nigel Pearson, anyone?). 

The one thing I will say though, is it is lovely to not be obsessed with celebrity for once. There’s no Lampard, Ashley Cole, Wayne Rooney, Cocu etc etc. even Rosenior to a degree was a tv guy. It’s finally nice to have none of it still in the club. 

Rosenior was delighted all the time.

Really !

14 minutes ago, Curtains said:

I wasn’t enjoying the tippy tippy stuff .

The fans were appalled at Lincoln with the performance 

Yes, I wasn't very happy that night, either! 

It will be interesting to see what Warne gets out of the players that changes that. 

He will still have the problem that his experienced players are a bit too old and his younger players aren't experienced enough. I'm interested to see how he blends the two because I am not sure Rosenior had worked out how to do that yet.