Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

Comes across well, not sure any comparisons to other managers are fair as he's clearly his own man, he's definitely not Rowett, who was a miserable Bamford at the best of times. I like he comes across as authentic and has a more light hearted demeanor. That will help to relieve some pressure.

I liked how he talked about entertainment and enjoyment, it's all been very serious the last 5 years, it'd be nice to have a more positive and enjoyable culture at the club.

Couple of things that stood out for me.

Pleased he talked about using the talent appropriately but also noted he was clear that they would be expected to run and fight more. Can't see any issues with that, we've clearly run out of energy at times this season, which had been put down to short pre-season but something they need to work on. Interesting to see how the players take to that, you'd think some will love it and others may be less keen!

His talk about the importance of his leadership team was interesting and not something we've heard at the club for a while. I remember Nigel Clough talking more in these terms. I think NC's loyalty to an average team didn't do him any favours, so let's hope PW's team is as good as he thinks it is.

He was clearly surprised at the size of the club infrastructure and personnel. You can see how he would have influenced absolutely everything at Rotherham (probably down to the brand of coffee!) and may find the size and competing agendas challenging in comparison. Everyone knows we are a big club with a rich history but until you're in the midst of it, I doubt you can fully appreciate the weight of expectation and demands of a bigger club regardless of our recent history. Interesting to see how he adapts to Derby as well as the other way around.

All in all, I liked what I heard and hope that, for him and for us, it's a good relationship and he can build on our strong foundations. 

I had huge respect for how Rosenior conducted himself, then and even now, but I am really enjoying this breath of fresh air feeling we have with our new manager. 

We’ve climbed out of the trenches after a battering, looking a bit dazed. I now have the feeling that here is a guy who wants us to march in the right direction and reclaim something. Looking forward to seeing how we shape up on Saturday with considerable relish (but will be  carrying suitable superstition talismans just in case ) 

15 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

You actually said LR needed to be appointed on a permanent basis and quickly, before he was tempted away by another club. 

On 15/09/2022 at 13:01,  StrawHillRam said: 

we are trying (badly) to showboat. we are not good enough to do that. This division calls for hard work, energy, roughhousing and pace.

Not sure the manager instills that or even sees that with his pseudo Man City attempts at tactics.

Brailsford Ram said:

I agree with that. It's clear from the Plymouth and Lincoln games that we have been 'sussed out.' Unless the system is changed, all the other teams in this division will be seeking to press us down in midfield. The over emphasis on slowly passing out from the back lessens our game time in attacking positions. He has to move to a system where we play the ball forward much quicker.

Personally, I'm in favour of going to 3-5-2 or 3-5-1-1. Collins is too isolated at present and needs closer support from a No. 10. A five man midfield with wing backs would strengthen us in midfield. I think Rooney has to be considered as the defensive midfielder - he's had three really good games in the cups and deserves a start now in the League. 

I think the squad is strong enough but the system has to change if we are to compete in the top six.