Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

Warne has had a tricky start regarding fixtures. That’s three at PP and six away now.

11 points from the six away games is a decent record given we had Ipswich and Pompey among those.

Throw in Torquay, Liverpool and Newport to come too, there has probably been little time on the training pitch amongst all the traveling.

5 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Norman Stanley Fletcher, you have pleaded guilty to the charges brought by these Administrators, and it is now my duty to pass sentence. You are an habitual criminal, who accepts arrest as an occupational hazard, and presumably accepts imprisonment in the same casual manner. I therefore feel constrained to commit you to the maximum term allowed for these offences: you will only be allowed to communicate with @RoyMac5for the next five years.

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Warne has had a tricky start regarding fixtures. That’s three at PP and six away now.

11 points from the six away games is a decent record given we had Ipswich and Pompey among those.

Throw in Torquay, Liverpool and Newport to come too, there has probably been little time on the training pitch amongst all the traveling.

Ipswich & Pompey have been tricky games, but of the other teams faced away Accrington are currently in 19th, Cambridge 20th, MK Dons 21st & Morecambe 23rd.

Teams at home have been Port Vale (currently 10th), Exeter (11th) and Bristol Rovers (15th)

In terms of goals conceded these teams represent the 6th, 7th, 15th, 17th, 18th, 19th, 20th 21st & 22nd 'best' defensive records.

For goals scored it's 1st, 5th, 7th, 8th, 13th, 18th, 19th, 21st & 23rd

There's no doubt it's been a busy run of games and our squad has been stretched, or that he's done well picking up the points with all that in mind but I really don't think he could realistically have asked for a much easier birth in terms of the quality of opposition faced.

Edited by Kokosnuss

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I recall Rush saying sacking Clough was a mistake and something he regrets like, due to not fully appreciate what a good job Clough had actually done at the time.

Not sure under what circumstances Rush said this but some people forget that in his later seasons, the football under NClough was horrible. Too defensive.

"Speaking in his post-match press conference, Warne said he felt one of Portsmouth's tactics was to try to get Louie Sibley booked as quickly as possible...

"That got me through the first half in fairness. History with them (the Cowley brothers)? I just had an issue with him (Danny) once about him approaching one of my players (at Rotherham) which I wasn't best pleased with.

"I am a bit stubborn like that. I can't let things go. You've got to fight your corner, haven't you? Their management team and players fight their corner and we have to for us. We just protect our lads if there's a tackle we're not happy with and let everyone know.

I honestly felt like one of their tactics was to get Sibs booked as soon as possible. He did his first tackle which wasn't that horrific and it was a yellow card straight away. That didn't please me. But you have to play the cards you're are dealt. That was a bit frustrating."

I've got to admit that I thought this was the wrong manager to take the club forward. He's doing very good, but he's also inherited a good squad of players that Liam put together. The crunch time will be when he brings in some fresh faces in January and if they are the right fit for the current squad. I believe with a bit of luck and less injuries the gap between us and the top 3 will get closer. I will tip now, that this team will finish in the top 5 of League One, what position will depend on other teams form and the January transfer window and those teams involved having key players not getting injured.

5 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

Ipswich & Pompey have been tricky games, but of the other teams faced away Accrington are currently in 19th, Cambridge 20th, MK Dons 21st & Morecambe 23rd.

Teams at home have been Port Vale (currently 10th), Exeter (11th) and Bristol Rovers (15th)

In terms of goals conceded these teams represent the 6th, 7th, 15th, 17th, 18th, 19th, 20th 21st & 22nd 'best' defensive records.

For goals scored it's 1st, 5th, 7th, 8th, 13th, 18th, 19th, 21st & 23rd

There's no doubt it's been a busy run of games and our squad has been stretched, or that he's done well picking up the points with all that in mind but I really don't think he could realistically have asked for a much easier birth in terms of the quality of opposition faced.

I think it’s been navigating the schedule and travel which has been toughest, rather than the actual opposition.

Warne alluded to it in a recent interview where he said he has barely spent any time training the side. It’s been just opponent focused training and recovery.

I can’t remember the last time we played so many away games compared to home in such a short space of time.

What is also interesting is Bristol Rovers (17th) are the lowest ranked side we have played at home so far this season.

We have a lot of home games to come where we should comfortably win.

10 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I think it’s been navigating the schedule and travel which has been toughest, rather than the actual opposition.

Warne alluded to it in a recent interview where he said he has barely spent any time training the side. It’s been just opponent focused training and recovery.

I can’t remember the last time we played so many away games compared to home in such a short space of time.

What is also interesting is Bristol Rovers (17th) are the lowest ranked side we have played at home so far this season.

We have a lot of home games to come where we should comfortably win.

Oh I agree it's just the wording "a tricky start regarding fixtures" made it sound like you were talking about the games themselves more then the scheduling of them which again, it cannot be denied, has been tough but has been dealt with as well as anyone could have expected, especially given the limitations of our squad.

I think it's been a bit of an eye opener as to just how poor the bottom half of this league is tbh - even with our squad being down to its bare bones the teams we've been putting out have more than enough quality and experience within them to brush aside 70% of the teams in the league.

Potentially all the time spent travelling has helped to establish the team spirit / togetherness.

I'd say it's like band going on tour though, the opposite can equally happen with everyone falling out through missing home comforts and getting on each others nerves with their habits.

Obviously they still need to be well organised and motivated, which they clearly are, and good man management has helped it be the former rather than the latter.

Edited by Kokosnuss

After 9 league games:

LR: P9, W4, D2, L3, F9, A9, Pts 14.

PW: P9, W4, D3, L2, F14, A7, Pts 15.

Position when LR left: 7th, level on points with the play-offs.

Position now: 8th, one point off the play-offs.

Has Warne been an improvement so far?? My assessment is: Home form: worse. Away form: better. Goals scored: better. Points: marginal improvement. League position: No improvement.

Should Warne be sacked on the basis of his first 9 League games?? I personally don't think so. Should Rosenior have been sacked/let go on the basis of his first 9 League games?? I also think no.

5 minutes ago, DB83 said:

After 9 league games:

Has Warne been an improvement so far?? My assessment is: Home form: worse. Away form: better. Goals scored: better. Points: marginal improvement. League position: No improvement.

Should Warne be sacked on the basis of his first 9 League games?? I personally don't think so. Should Rosenior have been sacked/let go on the basis of his first 9 League games?? I also think no.

Scored more and conceded less that seems to be progress 

3 hours ago, DB83 said:

Hard to judge home form after 3 games, especially when the the one we lost had a couple of aberrations from senior players......

4 hours ago, Rich84 said:

Hard to judge home form after 3 games, especially when the the one we lost had a couple of aberrations from senior players......

I don't necessarily disagree, but Rosenior won 4 home League games out of 5 (plus two cup wins), and the one we lost was against the best team in the League so far (Plymouth), and was also only due to a 90th minute "aberration" (though admittedly not by a senior player). Even IF we beat Sheffield Wednesday and Forest Green Rovers (by no means guaranteed), Warne will still have a worse home record than Rosenior after 5 home League games (despite having on average easier opposition). So I do think my comment saying "Home form: worse" is currently backed up by pretty solid evidence.

On 19/11/2022 at 18:15, RoyMac5 said:

"Speaking in his post-match press conference, Warne said he felt one of Portsmouth's tactics was to try to get Louie Sibley booked as quickly as possible...

"That got me through the first half in fairness. History with them (the Cowley brothers)? I just had an issue with him (Danny) once about him approaching one of my players (at Rotherham) which I wasn't best pleased with.

"I am a bit stubborn like that. I can't let things go. You've got to fight your corner, haven't you? Their management team and players fight their corner and we have to for us. We just protect our lads if there's a tackle we're not happy with and let everyone know.

I honestly felt like one of their tactics was to get Sibs booked as soon as possible. He did his first tackle which wasn't that horrific and it was a yellow card straight away. That didn't please me. But you have to play the cards you're are dealt. That was a bit frustrating."

How can you blame them when Warne is on record saying that Sibley is the worst tackler he's ever seen?? Maybe he should have kept his mouth shut rather than revealing our potential weaknesses to the opposition??

Edited by DB83

14 hours ago, DB83 said:

After 9 league games:

I really can't believe anyone can honestly be calling for Warne to go after 9 league games. Pathetic. It is all the chopping and changing over the last few years that has in part got us where we are.

He inherited this team and is trying to get them to play his way. Obviously there will be a few who don't really fit his mould and if he gets in his type of player in the transfer window, we might start to see who isn't at the starting gates.

He has also had a horrible run of injuries on top of a pretty small squad.

Any one on here wanting him gone need to give their empty heads a wobble.

9 hours ago, DB83 said:

I don't necessarily disagree, but Rosenior won 4 home League games out of 5 (plus two cup wins), and the one we lost was against the best team in the League so far (Plymouth), and was also only due to a 90th minute "aberration" (though admittedly not by a senior player). Even IF we beat Sheffield Wednesday and Forest Green Rovers (by no means guaranteed), Warne will still have a worse home record than Rosenior after 5 home League games (despite having on average easier opposition). So I do think my comment saying "Home form: worse" is currently backed up by pretty solid evidence.

I think that all this comparing what Warne is doing with Rosenior's 9 games is ridiculous. 9 games are far too few to be really meaningful. Having been to those 9 home games, I felt that the results flattered our play and although we 'only' lost to Plymouth because of a last minute aberration, we were played off the park by them. Conversely, although I didn't go to any away games, I believe our away results over the same period of time didn't reflect our play either. Had LR continued as manager, I believe that the home results would have dropped off and the away results would have improved.