Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

15 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

Hmm, now I've typed that and thought about it a bit..

...this is actually all Liam Rosenior's fault! Like, all of it. Everything

Rooney was a miracle worker having to put up with this chump as his assistant, dragging him down and causing all the problems with our play.

Warne's now going to have a massive job fixing all of the problems Liam has left him with, the useless little s***!

Crikey. A pat on the back for me. I knew I'd get there eventually!

And to think I worried that sarcasm was a dying art. You’ve restored my faith ?

2 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

Just find it weird how much a manager is being scrutinised so early into his reign after an average (not bad) start. 

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Rosenior was 'so early' into his reign (or as it happened, about in the middle of it!) when the scrutiny started for him and he'd had an average (not bad) start too. There's simply no escaping it.

Is it really scrutiny anyway, or just discussion and analysis, exactly what we're on a forum to do?

A big problem is the way Warne he's been talked up so in some quarters, with it often being impossible for someone to say anything positive about him without throwing shade at the previous incumbent in the same breath. The hype has been unreal, and if you create such hype around someone on a message board, you're going to attract a few "Wait, hold on a minute... " responses in return.

The more hype, the quicker that reaction will come and probably with more ire when things don't go to plan. You can't make out that  the new thing is vastly superior to the old thing and then expect no comeback when the new, much vaunted thing has a hiccup.

The reaction isn't likely to be about Warne himself, in any case.

Making out that anyone countering the hype is just being negative, impatient, unwilling to let Warne get on with the job and a Rosenior loving sycophant (I'm not accusing you of this, but it has been said - sometimes with validity, but usually not) also probably isn't helping matters, really.

I get that it's a case of supporting the new manager, and some may be a little more reluctant than others to voice their opinions, or simply not wish to comment on any negatives until he's had 10, 15, 20 games, but those who do aren't 'not supporting the manager' just because they wish to discuss any concerns they have.

That said I can see how it comes across poorly, but again it comes down to the hype - counter-hype and by its very nature is perceived as negativity.

Edited by Kokosnuss

I'm excited for tonight, Exeter with the new manager bounce and a great start to the season seem to score and concede just as many. I'm expecting end to end, long-ball stuff, shocking ref decisions and defensive errors aplenty.*

It'll be a test but I think a winnable one, I'd like to think we'd be above them if we'd played as many games. 

*The Paul Warne Way.

14 minutes ago, Papahet said:

His humour and charm won't win us games unfortunately..

This team should be winning these games and creating more chances with the likes of Hourihane and Mendez Laing in the eleven.

Mehhh, it’s a bit of both. Rosenior reminded me of Clement (even down the the parallel of trying to introduce running power to your midfield by playing your Irish academy graduate up-front).

You need runners to go alongside the creativity. Warne’s just going too far the other way. 

Alarm bells rang after his first or second post-matcher when he said we’re trying too many intricate triangles in the final third.

We’re now leaving our wing-back to beat 2/3 players as bodies pile into the box.

55 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Maybe he could go on RamsTV and appologise and say he has made a few mistakes and done things too soon. He could go to David Clowes and resign and we could have a new leader by Friday. 

As long when he leaves he defends all the crappy decisions he made

18 minutes ago, Papahet said:

His humour and charm won't win us games unfortunately..

This team should be winning these games and creating more chances with the likes of Hourihane and Mendez Laing in the eleven.

Sorry, that wasn’t really much of a reply to you was it, I just latched into your post to build my point ?

It feels like to me a manager too stubborn in his ways and trying to play a style of football which does not match the strengths of this team.

Being a Victor Meldrew, he beat Cambridge fair and square. A hoof up the field and Bird showing his class got us a result. Accrington, they missed 2 penalties and we somehow came out with a win. The home performances, including the Man City academy defeat, have been horrible to watch. Our home form has been solid for as long as I can remember. Even last season, the home form gave us a fighting chance. Now it seems we're trying to counter attack away, which is fine, but at home, we have  zero control of that football. Tonight the opposition matched us all over of the pitch. Because we keep hitting these horrible passes into the corners and hoping for a mistake, it looks amateur.

It really grates me about football style. It feels like Paul Warne goes for the attacking long balls and hopes for a mistake. These teams aren't too shabby at the back, we need more technical play to unlock defences. And he isn't playing to the strength of the team. Go and cry to the board about a lack of depth. Why not adapt with the players with have at the moment and slowly build a team to your style. 

I'm not convinced by this chap yet, booooooooo. I'm sorry.

Don't like his style of play - or until tonight, his lack of flexibility - but I have praised his affable personality.

However, as disappointed as I can imagine him to be, I don't like his inference that Barkhuizen and Chester's injuries are not genuine. Follows something similar that he alluded to early on with McGoldrick.

Nah, sorry, going off him totally.

Tonight was rubbish but everything I’ve heard him say makes sense, which heartens me. I don’t think he wants hoofball but he wants to faff around less and be on the front foot. Either got the wrong players or players with the wrong attitude at the mo.  I don’t think this is the group of players to see out his vision, but I think that’s why they’ve gone for the 4 year deal. There’s a long term plan, even if short term it’s not a good fit. 

I don’t blame warne you know what you get with him. Like I have said previously the change by DC put unnessesery pressure on the entire team (I think we are seeing that with PW comments) and he has to hit the ground running.

I hope DC learns from this it isn’t always about appointing the right man or sacking the wrong man but it’s about the timing of it, that always felt off for me

We've tried to pass the ball more in the past 2 games. Whether that's him adapting or finally getting his philosophy across is still to be decided. However, we've been slower at progressing up the pitch, which is why we've barely troubled to opposition keeper in both games.

Ipswich - we started brightly, but soon faded. Smith had only just returned from injury and was struggling with the intensity after 60 minutes. Davies just couldn't keep up and Chester had been poor for a couple of games. Mendez-Laing is proving every game he's only a 60 minute player (a result of his high intensity runs). All remaining intensity was lost when McGoldrick, Hourihane and Forsyth were brought on for Dobbin, Osula and Barkhuizen.

Exeter - It was a predictable start with Hourihane in the middle. Chester was also struggling, with Exeter looking to get beyond him and drag him out of position at every opportunity until he came off injured. The defence looked more solid as soon as that happened. A poor bench and substitutions meant we didn't have enough attacking minded players on the pitch at any point and later couldn't replace players who had clearly ran out of steam (Osula).

We've lost 4 of the 7 games under Warne in all competitions (we lost only 3 in 12 under Rosenior).

Whether we play 3 or 4 at the back, Warne quickly needs to learn which players can play a high intensity style and use others as impact subs late in the game.