Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Indeed the result at 5 o'clock tomorrow is the key thing BUT am already really enjoying "Warney's" appearances on Rams TV pre-match.

He is like a curious cross between David Brent and Ted Lasso. Some on here love it, others are less impressed. The key qn is whether he and his team can convince the squad to do their bidding. And whether the senior players will support him even if they find his hyperactive enthusiasm as tiring as his style of football. 

1 hour ago, Derbados said:

Eh? He’s being asked to do the press interviews and being asked questions, what’s he supposed to do sit there and say nowt? 

It’s a good question. Bit surprised it came from you though.

l suppose I am being a little unfair to Warne. It is the Club that seem to be hyping him up, with Owen Bradley gushing around him like a pubescent schoolgirl with a crush. Perhaps quite difficult for Warne to dampen down all the flattering small talk, and it’s easier to run with the ‘yeah, you’re not wrong, I am indeed a likeable, relatable, amusing kind of guy’.

I guess I am just a bit old school. Fwiw I take the view that a more measured approach would have been better over the last week and a bit.
Firstly because I think we should have been more respectful to Liam Rosenior. Not saying Liam was going to cut it, or indeed that he shouldn’t have been stood down, but the guy did a lot of good work for the club particularly during his final 15 months, and he deserved a lot better in my view with regards to the manner of his departure. A few lines on a website - thanks Liam, good luck, whatever.

Secondly because we have signed Paul Warne, not Pep Guardiola or Carlo Ancelotti or any other proven manager. He’s managed one club, one small provincial club, with clearly a lot of leeway and Bonhomie from his Chairman, and whilst he has had some promotions let’s not forget he has had a similar number of relegations. He is many ways an unknown entity, one who I hope succeeds I should emphasise, but the buzz seems to be, before he has even even managed one game, that he ‘is the man’ who is going to take us back up the leagues.

All a bit unnecessary, and premature, if you ask me. Happy to get carried away after say 10 games or so, when we are in the top 3 and playing decent football, but for me personally I would have preferred a more low key first week, with good performances and results over the weeks ahead being a more appropriate catalyst for the current love-in.

13 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

...All a bit unnecessary, and premature, if you ask me. Happy to get carried away after say 10 games or so, when we are in the top 3 and playing decent football, but for me personally I would have preferred a more low key first week, with good performances and results over the weeks ahead being a more appropriate catalyst for the current love-in.

So you'd have preferred the Club to ignore the bloke for a week or so until we've played and then say hello? ?

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

He is like a curious cross between David Brent and Ted Lasso. Some on here love it, others are less impressed. The key qn is whether he and his team can convince the squad to do their bidding. And whether the senior players will support him even if they find his hyperactive enthusiasm as tiring as his style of football. 

I would say on hearing him this week he is a bit of a ' david brent' facade about him. Lets hope results on the pitch are all that matters. 

21 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Mmmmh. I do hope the footballers do deliver for him, because already I am beginning to think shut up man.

Yes perhaps a little verbose but one or two good tactical points in there I thought 

Edited by Monty
Edit

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

l suppose I am being a little unfair to Warne. It is the Club that seem to be hyping him up, with Owen Bradley gushing around him like a pubescent schoolgirl with a crush. Perhaps quite difficult for Warne to dampen down all the flattering small talk, and it’s easier to run with the ‘yeah, you’re not wrong, I am indeed a likeable, relatable, amusing kind of guy’.

I guess I am just a bit old school. Fwiw I take the view that a more measured approach would have been better over the last week and a bit.
Firstly because I think we should have been more respectful to Liam Rosenior. Not saying Liam was going to cut it, or indeed that he shouldn’t have been stood down, but the guy did a lot of good work for the club particularly during his final 15 months, and he deserved a lot better in my view with regards to the manner of his departure. A few lines on a website - thanks Liam, good luck, whatever.

Secondly because we have signed Paul Warne, not Pep Guardiola or Carlo Ancelotti or any other proven manager. He’s managed one club, one small provincial club, with clearly a lot of leeway and Bonhomie from his Chairman, and whilst he has had some promotions let’s not forget he has had a similar number of relegations. He is many ways an unknown entity, one who I hope succeeds I should emphasise, but the buzz seems to be, before he has even even managed one game, that he ‘is the man’ who is going to take us back up the leagues.

All a bit unnecessary, and premature, if you ask me. Happy to get carried away after say 10 games or so, when we are in the top 3 and playing decent football, but for me personally I would have preferred a more low key first week, with good performances and results over the weeks ahead being a more appropriate catalyst for the current love-in.

I don't think the club has hyped him up. Before he arrived here all we really knew about him was that in three seasons of managing Rotherham in Division One, he had led them to promotion each season; in two seasons in the Championship under him Rotherham were relegated and in the first quarter of this season they stand in eighth place in the Championship but that means little in terms of where they might have ended the season under him - that bit we'll never know. We didn't know much about the character.

He's come here and he's been interviewed by Rams TV and he's spoken honestly to them about his staff, his values, how he operates. He doesn't seem to have a big ego and he has promised us nothing more than that he will do his best to succeed for DCFC. Nothing is guaranteed but I think that in a humble way, Warne has shown that he has a lot of self-confidence and sound principles about man management and leadership.  He comes across as intelligent. Rams TV has simply reported what he has said. I was very taken by what Warne said and I am confident that he is a very good choice to take us forward having been given the opportunity to hear his views. I was warmed by the fact that he knows the supporters want to be entertained in face of the reservations of some fans that he may be one-dimensional and may not have entertaining football in his tool box.

He has spoken well of Liam Rosenior and what he did for our club but explained that the chemistry was not right for him to retain Liam on the coaching staff and none of us know anyway if Liam himself would have wanted to stay under Paul Warne in the circumstances. Similarly, the club has spoken well of Liam's contribution and thanked him for it. Liam Rosenior never let this club down; his effort and recruitment was good and Warne recognised that, following the takeover. I hope that Liam, who might be bitterly disappointed at not being made the permanent manager, is not bitter about his treatment at the hands of David Clowes or the supporters. He was appreciated by most of us.

If you believe that a manager's entry into a club should be low key, I can't for the life of me begin to think of what you would have made of Brian Clough's arrival at the Baseball Ground. He'd had a part season at Hartlepools when for the first time in many a year he saved them from the ignominy of finishing bottom of the EFL and applying for re-election and in his only full season there, he and Taylor took them to seventh place in the Division; the team they built won the Division the next season after they'd left for Derby. His track record was nowhere near to Warne's over the past six seasons but from day one he was telling the EFL, FA and Alf Ramsey what they were doing wrong. Two years later he had Derby competing against Shankly, Busby, Revie, Catterick et al and English football was never the same again. If you'd shut Cloughie up, he'd have been gone in a week and our history would have been much poorer and we'd have missed all the fun along the way.

I don't think anyone will ever replicate Clough's impact on Derby but I've seen enough this week to make me believe that we could be on the brink of something special again in the years ahead. Until such time as Paul Warne pops my balloon, if he ever does, I'm going to enjoy it while I can. It feels so much better at the moment than it felt around Derby County this time last year and for a few months more. We deserve some optimism now.

Darragh McAnthony at Peterborough said today that Warne's appointment has elevated Derby to a home run for promotion now. He knows this League better than any of us. Let's just try and enjoy the ride and see where it takes us.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

https://www.efl.com/news/2022/september/paul-warne-talks-rams-challenge-and-emotional-departures/

I might be reading this wrong but Boro was away not at home so Blackpool was his last home game at Rotherham....so did he know vs Blackpool that it was his last game or by Saturday evening after we beat Wycombe he already knew Boro away was his last game

8 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

https://www.efl.com/news/2022/september/paul-warne-talks-rams-challenge-and-emotional-departures/

I might be reading this wrong but Boro was away not at home so Blackpool was his last home game at Rotherham....so did he know vs Blackpool that it was his last game or by Saturday evening after we beat Wycombe he already knew Boro away was his last game

Yes, I think so. It seems Derby spoke to Rotherham and then Warne on the day after we lost at Lincoln. There seems to have been an agreement made in principle. I think that Liam Rosenior knew before we played Wycombe that it was his final game and Warne knew he was likely to be heading for Derby.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

2 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

And whether the senior players will support him even if they find his hyperactive enthusiasm as tiring as his style of football. 

Fair point. Things can often start enthusiastically and successfully, but the gloss can wear off. Thomas Tuchel formerly of Chelsea a prime example (considering his achievement's) of how players can quickly change their mindset and attitude. 

Hopefully, Warne will be able to galvanise the Derby squad and keep them buoyant long enough to achieve a promotion...... or two? 

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

Totally agree. Top post ??

On 27/09/2022 at 00:08, Ghost of Clough said:

He's brought in his own GK coach. That's enough to say he's gone/going.

I assumed Buxton would be stepping back to the U21s, but haven't seen anything.

With the other coaches brought in, there doesn't appear to be space for Rosenior or Walker. Also, with Warne's fitness coaching background, I wonder where our Napoleon Dynamite fits in. I feel it would be in the club's interest to keep all three, but the first team coaching staff would feel blosted for L1 level.

100% agree. Whilst there are a couple of player who I think don't quite fit in the what may be his preferred style of play, we had a couple of players who didn't quite suit Rosenior's style anyway (although their resale value would be lower).

My main worry was Sibley drifting to the sidelines, but I can actually see him growing into the role we saw him in for the youth sides within a 352 - whether one of the 3 in midfield or playing off the main CF.

I'm certainly looking forward to the weekend to see how we'll shape up.

I think Sibley is one of a few players that it's difficult to make a call on.

At a glance if you think Warne will go with a 352 you might not see a place for him. However I think he likely has a lot of attributes Warne likes in a player in that he's mobile, aggressive, direct and a serious goal threat. The main thing that went against him under Rooney is that he'd give the ball away cheaply and I don't think that will matter as much to Warne and he'll almost certainly play him more or less centrally.

Warne could feel that with all of that and with playing a back 3/5 there is enough cover to play Sibley in midfield. He could also feel like it's better to pair him with one of McGoldrick or Collins and not play the two of them. He's also played a 3412 at times with Rotherham. All in all its hard to call. Personally I think he likely helps provide the best balanced side with 3 at the back.

If you start with assumption of wanting to get Hourihane in your team you've got a small dilemma. He's not got the legs he had and he's not really a pivot. So you either play him a little out of position or you try to compensate a bit for his legs. One way to help with that would be to play a defensive but mobile wing back in Roberts on the left and also play Sibley as a 10. Sibley is then the player looking to get in the box from a midfield position somewhat on the left, Hourihane is the person looking to cross whilst Roberts tucks in and supports.

Watching through the interviews and the one thing that struck me is that he's likely a very good manager. Not as in the football sense but as in a general sense. He speaks like he understands how to motivate people, how to get them pulling together to a common goal and how to clearly communicate. All the while being able to manage those above him as well. Some of the stuff that might seem silly can be really helpful in keeping motivation high if he gets intial buy in. I've never seen a football manager seem as skilled at it from their interviews before.

I am pleased to hear him speaking a lot in terms of football is entertainment and the job is to entertain. It's rare to hear a manager to say this and its at least a sign that the intent is right. A

I do still have concerns over tactics as when he talks about it seems a touch simplistic. It seems to hinge largely on a combination of physical fitness and quality to win in each position individually rather than thought to how players can be used in tandem in order to create space or overloads. That might be unfair or it might be part of why despite doing well in League 1 rotherham have been comfortably relegated each time. As an extension whilst his loyalty to his previous staff is admirable I do wonder whether the coaching set up will be enough.

31 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

That might be unfair or it might be part of why despite doing well in League 1 rotherham have been comfortably relegated each time. As an extension whilst his loyalty to his previous staff is admirable I do wonder whether the coaching set up will be enough.

I wouldn't say that they were comfortably relegated both times.

in 2019 they were 4 points from safety and in 2021 they were only 2 points from safety, despite having to play up to 4 games per week due to covid postponements.

Reading back over the comments about the leadership motivational stuff both sides of the argument for and against it are right to a degree. Much of it has been researched extensively and a lot of what it says about people is true. As to whether it makes a difference boils down to two things:-

1. The leader’s truly believes that it’s not primarily self interest driving  his/her motivation and has absolute belief it will improve his/her team collectively 

2. The members of the team are willing to open up to it and rebalance their own self interest and ego to engage with the process. 

As other’s have pointed out a lot of people’s experience is of execs using this stuff as a charade to further their own career or manipulate stakeholders to believe they’re something they’re not. The flip side of this is there are authentic leaders out who do use it and believe in it, and have to navigate (and sometimes brutally dispose of) cynical, hate change, know more than anyone else types. These are often the sort of people who say they could have been a oxbridge candidate or they’re  a hidden genius to the wider world but for some strange reason society are yet to recognise them. I often think a number of the raging egos who are patrons of this forum disproportionately fall into this category.

Don’t get me wrong as I leave more road behind me than I have ahead of me, I hear the things Warne saying and the cynical side of my brain starts to question the guy and the things he is saying. An inescapable fact is that there would have been  number of Derby fans with the exact same emotions when Clough, Cox, Smith & Davies (yes Billy) were appointed and not liking the cut of their jib.

10 hours ago, i-Ram said:

I think we should have been more respectful to Liam Rosenior. Not saying Liam was going to cut it, or indeed that he shouldn’t have been stood down, but the guy did a lot of good work for the club particularly during his final 15 months, and he deserved a lot better in my view with regards to the manner of his departure. A few lines on a website - thanks Liam, good luck, whatever.

Screenshot_20221001-063738.jpg

Screenshot_20221001-063730.jpg

In relation to the posters that have called for a calmer unveiling I believe us being in the social media era has poo pooed that. Clubs want engagement and fans buzz off behind the scenes content. 

I mean Burnley had Bruce Forsyth and Yvette Fielding making cameos in their signing announcements this summer. 

As for Warne himself, he can’t help who he is. If he is a bit nutty and unconventional then we knew that when we hired him. 

Ultimately I think we can all agree that if we get the right results we’ll all be singing off the same hymn sheet. 

9 hours ago, ram59 said:

I wouldn't say that they were comfortably relegated both times.

in 2019 they were 4 points from safety and in 2021 they were only 2 points from safety, despite having to play up to 4 games per week due to covid postponements.

He's actually relegated Rotherham 3 times. First season in 2016/17, he took over at end of November & they went down with 23 points - one of the worst ever points totals in the second tier. They had been in the Championship the preceding 2 seasons.

Whilst they were 'closer' to safety in 18/19 & 20/21, their points totals of 40 & 42 points were very low by the usual threshold to escape safety...for example Leicester & Peterborough have been relegated with 50 points. In 20/21, their relegation fight was probably flattered by just how bad Derby were in 4th bottom (1 point in last 7 games under Rooney) but they managed to finish below Wycombe even, a team playing their first ever season in the second tier.

His record whilst managing Rotherham across those 3 seasons in the Championship reads P120 W23 D29 L68. Win rate of 19% & 3 separate seasons to adapt. I'd say he's been very fortunate to have Rotherham's chairman stick by him.

Edited by LeedsCityRam

Not sure why folks are getting all agitated about all of the hyperbole generated on local radio about out new manager, that's exactly the raison d'etre that local radio exist and exactly the same reason I pay little or no attention to it.

Let the guy do his job and be judged on that, Rosenoir has had publically more that enough thanks of well wishing from the club to avoid it being turned into some sort of hagiography of the guy which simply would be embarrassing. 

Not sure again what folks expect.