Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

3 hours ago, Big Trav said:

Also forgot to mention, Expect Justin Walker, Bucko etc to drop to academy which will have some open positions soon… 

They need to increase the staff in the academy anyway to try to maintain cat 1 status, which is in doubt due to the cutbacks

I'm finding it hard to know what to think of this. 

Personally, I liked LR, the approach felt right to me and I wasn't reading too much into the results at this stage as I think we've performed better than our points tally.

I'm sad that Liam hasn't had the chance to go at it for longer as I genuinely didn't think we were far off from giving someone an absolute hammering, which could have been a spring board.

Have to assume that extensive conversations and assessment has been done over the last few months and the decision is as evidence-based as these things can be.

The statement from the club gives me a little optimism and they clearly see PW as a winner, who can get results.

It's never dull at DCFC.

it is an excellent appointment no doubt.

I do question the timing and the nature of Rosenior departure though. okay things weren't great but he was getting decent results & for me you cannot sack a manager after a win.

what would the players think of it? i think you are playing with fire, a risky move from mr. clowes, let's hope it pays off

5 minutes ago, alram said:

I do question the timing and the nature of Rosenior departure though. okay things weren't great but he was getting decent results & for me you cannot sack a manager after a win.

what would the players think of it? i think you are playing with fire, a risky move from mr. clowes, let's hope it pays off

It will initially depend on how much Liam was picking them and then very quickly will be immaterial.  Win a couple of games and they will happily accept it. Results don't improve and they aren't getting picked and they will turn.

8 minutes ago, alram said:

My old man has had business dealings with Clowes.

"Nice guy, he doesn't **** about though".

20 minutes ago, alram said:

For Clowes and his team, they must have decided before Wycombe that Rosenior was not quite ready to do what was required. Fair play, he got a lot right and acquitted himself well, but hadn't convinced where it mattered most (and hadn't truly convinced many on here either, even if they desperately wanted him to succeed).

On balance, if Warne wasn't ready to come in then, probably better to have had one more game with LR than remove a manager after a defeat and maybe fail to win the Wycombe game too, in a state of uncertainty.

I thought in many ways the performance vs Wycombe was the best so far this season (immediately after the worst, at Lincoln, which must have rung alarm bells), but I think Clowes and co have handled it well and honourably. The risks could be in handing a 4-year contract to Warne and potentially losing Rosenior to another club where he may well succeed, but it was the chairman's call and I have a good feeling about the choice he's made.

Edited by Guest

7 minutes ago, alram said:

Strange comments. 

Of course you can sack a manager after a win.

Have you even considered that the die was already cast for Rosenoir BEFORE the game against Wycombe regardless of whether we win, lose or draw?

And that Clowes had already made his mind up by that point. 

What do you expect Clowes to have done, replace an interim manager with another interim manager for a couple of games whilst he got the right person in, that's just plain silly. 

58 minutes ago, alram said:

Or on the contrary.

Making the change now gives PW time to get all of the players on side well before the next transfer window. I fear that without making the change, three of the youngsters that I still feel we should be building a team around for the long term, Bird, Knight and Sibley, would have been looking to move. PW might get the best out of them.

If this change happened nearer the transfer window, PW might not have had time to implement his plans and win players over.

I'm looking forward to playing a more aggressive attacking style of play than we have seen for the past 3 years.

18 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Not much animosity on the Rotherham forum for either Warne or Derby.

Sensible stuff, bigger club, bigger ambition, bigger car park, bigger wage packet.

They’ve got 15 pages of new manager suggestions, if I was them I’d wait a few weeks and appoint Steve Cooper! ?

There'd be animosity if they thought he was irreplaceable.  But he's a jobbing upper League 1 manager with a proven record of failure in the Championship.  It's hard for them to be sad; it's hard for us to be glad.

1 hour ago, tinman said:

They need to increase the staff in the academy anyway to try to maintain cat 1 status, which is in doubt due to the cutbacks

Are there any actual benefits to being a category 1 academy? 

All the best players we produce get poached by big prem teams for peanuts before they even play for us. I'd expect we wouldn't lose out much at all if we lose cat 1 status.

26 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Not much animosity on the Rotherham forum for either Warne or Derby.

Sensible stuff, bigger club, bigger ambition, bigger car park, bigger wage packet.

They’ve got 15 pages of new manager suggestions, if I was them I’d wait a few weeks and appoint Steve Cooper! ?

No exactly. They seem a very level-headed lot from a brief browse on their forums.

6 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Are there any actual benefits to being a category 1 academy? 

All the best players we produce get poached by big prem teams for peanuts before they even play for us. I'd expect we wouldn't lose out much at all if we lose cat 1 status.

We’d get fewer peanuts. And the quality of players we can attract like Ebiowei and Plange we won’t be as high. So we’d get even fewer peanuts.