Matchday Thread - Fleetwood Town v Derby County (20/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

3 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Just seen on Twitter that DCFC left the away changing room spotless. No idea if they’ve been doing that every game or just this season but a touch of class.

We may be a big club, but it shows we’re going to places with a touch of class and respect for the opposition.

Tbh it's the very least I would expect. But as you say, if we are doing it and others are not, well kudos. 

14 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Not to score in 1 away game you’ve dominated is unlucky. Not to score in 2 away games you’ve dominated is even more unlucky. Not to score in 3 away games you’ve dominated defies statistical probability & suggests there is a significant factor at play. 

Force fields?

40 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Probably the most infuriating few pages of this forum I've read in a while.

Despite what some of the 'just saying it how it is' Talksport types on here think, no-one at all is saying a performance or tactics are beyond criticism. But at least have the decency to apply some context to criticism  i.e. a bunch of players slung together in no time at all, a rookie manager, a late pre-season & the fact we have dominated the 3 away games these same individuals are outraged we haven't won. Just hysterical, over-entitled garbage that I didnt miss at all last season

If we'd had social media back in the day, some on here would have happily got rid of Arthur Cox in 84/85 (we finished 7th in Division 3 with a bunch of expensive signings, imagine that) & wouldn't have given Clough another season after 67/68.

Just as well David Clowes seems a sensible, measured type & won't be doing kneejerk Mel Morris reactionary cack. He'll look at the table & notice we're just outside the playoff spots...perhaps the bedwetters might like to do the same.

You know how opposing fans say how arrogant we all are? Well they should read this!

Personally I'm disappointed in our results from the group of players we have - it sounds like they are too. Have a word L**dsCityRam! 

Edited by RoyMac5

3 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

How the hell did we not win?

I guess the dominance is not turning into shedloads of clear cut chances.

When you've got them backed up for minute after minute, 10 men defending their box, it's hard to find the space for that killer moment.

We will adapt, improve and overcome. COYR.

Vg point. Quality of chances - are we pre-loading possession formation deeper at the cost of quality in the opposition box.? 

8 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

What are the factors? How much variance does each factor contribute? 

Sadly, I cannot say or even analyse without lots of control samples and much more data. 

What you really need is a set of events large enough to be statistically significant - say 30-40. All the events are identical apart from one variable. Then you can analyse.... 

2 hours ago, LittleEatonRam said:

Really though, what do you expect? It's 5 games into the season. We've got no money to spend. Did you expect us to waltz the league? Teams will be desperate to beat us, to claim a scalp. We have players hastily assembled into a squad out of necessity. And - once more for those at the back - WE ALMOST WENT OUT OF EXISTENCE.

I'm not asking for the earth, but perhaps give it half a season, maybe. Is that acceptable?

Never said we would waltz the league. My prediction was and still is mid table. Just annoys me when people assume that those who rightfully debate and point out the issues that need sorting are branded "too demanding" and "wanting barcelona-esque" type football. It's a forum, it's an area where supporters can and should be able to debate, criticize, and offer their take on things without being lynched for it.

Edited by DanS1992

The same folk who sagely warned us to expect a very hard time of things despite playing at a lower level are the very same folk now bitching about us not winning every game. It's pretty pathetic to be honest and it adds literally nothing to the debate.

As the players gel and reach full match fitness / sharpness, so we'll become more clinical. Getting on the players' and gaffer's back 5 games into a season with our squad undercooked and needing games is not offering a 'valid opinion', it's just attention-seeking white noise. Last season we were struggling to get a shot on goal in our away games, so it's clear some on here have develop selective memories when they feel like a moan.

I’m hearing those who are critical complaining their opinions aren’t being valued and being chastised for being negative. Everyone has their opinion but be prepared to stand your ground and prepare to have your opinion attacked especially if you’re talking complete and utter b*******. 

The only reason to be negative today is the result, and results are not really important right now because we are in Game 5! There’s another 41 games to play and guess what we’re not far off where we want to be in the table which is also positive considering this is a team assembled 6 weeks ago and we’ve had at least a week less preseason than everyone else in what was already a short preseason. 

Remember one season under Clough (Nigel)  where we won 6 of the first 8 games against some decent opposition. But nearly all of those wins weren’t deserved, the opposition were better we rode our luck massively. The performance levels of the team weren’t good enough and as a result we followed this run with a long winless streak and went down well into the bottom half to recover and finish mid-table top half which was that teams maximum capability. That is why you cannot look purely at results and especially this early in the season. You have to look at performance.

The reason we’ve not scored goals in the past couple of years is because we’ve been too defensive in the set up (probably due to squad limitations) and we didn’t get enough players forward to support attacks, all our play was in front of teams and we barely created 1 good chance per game. Tuesday was reminiscent of last season and was not good enough, but Charlton and today we did everything but score, we dominated created lots of chances more importantly gave away very little chances, if we continue like that we will win games.

If we play another 10 games and we’re still not scoring and we’re dropping down the league that’s the time to be concerned. But I genuinely believe our level of performance will be sustained and when it matters we translated into results and we’ll be fighting at the sharp end of the league. It’s too simplistic to say we’re not scoring goals now that’s how it’s going to be going forward. To say that is ignoring what’s actually happening.

Another parallel, we went a Month without scoring before we smashed Forest 5-0.

Edited by BramcoteRam84

3 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

The same folk who sagely warned us to expect a very hard time of things despite playing at a lower level are the very same folk now bitching about us not winning every game. It's pretty pathetic to be honest and it adds literally nothing to the debate.

As the players gel and reach full match fitness / sharpness, so we'll become more clinical. Getting on the players' and gaffer's back 5 games into a season with our squad undercooked and needing games is not offering a 'valid opinion', it's just attention-seeking white noise. Last season we were struggling to get a shot on goal in our away games, so it's clear some on here have develop selective memories when they feel like a moan.

Personally I actually think we're doing ok

A slight sense of frustration could spur the team on. 

I'm a veteran of the late 70s where the manager would have to defend the performances of caskey, moreland, emson et al... 

5 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Sadly, I cannot say or even analyse without lots of control samples and much more data. 

What you really need is a set of events large enough to be statistically significant - say 30-40. All the events are identical apart from one variable. Then you can analyse.... 

it’s not a laboratory scenario - you can speculate on the factors. I would speculate that quality of the ball into the box is low ie we dominate possession because we overload on that which detracts from control in the final 3rd. Statistically we dominate in the areas that give us possession but we’ve sold that at a cost of quality in the places that matters. Ie formation is at the heart of it. 

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

You know how opposing fans say how arrogant we all are? Well they should read this!

Personally I'm disappointed in our results from the group of players we have - it sounds like they are too. Have a word L**dsCityRam! 

???

I'm arrogant by suggesting we shouldn't be entitled to win every game especially considering the circumstances leading up to this season?

Look forward to hearing the logic behind that! Assuming here this isn't irony that has gone waaay over my head.

32 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

The dirty northern b******s.... ?

We aren’t dirty! We have a shared toilet with the ladies.

admittedly we have to pee in the wc, but we don’t pee on the seat for that would upset the Fräulein‘s.

We miss it and pee on the floor.

2 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Personally I actually think we're doing ok

A slight sense of frustration could spur the team on. 

I'm a veteran of the late 70s where the manager would have to defend the performances of caskey, moreland, emson et al... 

I agree.

All we need is a recognised goal scorer like Derek Hales and we'd be fine.?

2 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

it’s not a laboratory scenario - you can speculate on the factors. I would speculate that quality of the ball into the box is low ie we dominate possession because we overload on that which detracts from control in the final 3rd. Statistically we dominate in the areas that give us possession but we’ve sold that at a cost of quality in the places that matters. Ie formation is at the heart of it. 

Fitness (number of games played since vacation) , climate, time since last game,  number of games since last break, size of pitch, formation, opposition formation.... 

4 hours ago, Stockyram92 said:

Who's ready for the LR interview saying he's delighted with this? ?‍♂️

What else could LR actually do?

I would be delighted with that performance, utterly dominant, just didn't stick it in the net. People were moaning (a little unjustly IMO) about the lack of attacking endeavour and penetration against Shrewsbury. It was an impressive response for my money.

The result, I accept, is very disappointing. On another day we score four and blow them away. It'll come good. This team is going to challenge for the playoffs at least, I'm confident we're in a good place despite the goal return.

4 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

???

I'm arrogant by suggesting we shouldn't be entitled to win every game especially considering the circumstances leading up to this season?

Look forward to hearing the logic behind that! Assuming here this isn't irony that has gone waaay over my head.

Read it again. I'm pointing out there are opposing fans calling us Derby fans arrogant - they should read your humble missive.

I do wonder what some people would prefer. I’m not going to pretend I’m not disappointed with the results based on the way the games have gone, but we’re still 8th. It could be a lot worse.

I’d much rather be drawing games through our poor finishing than through other teams dominating us and missing them. If we’re creating this much with a brand new team who have played half a dozen competitive games, then I can only see things improving. It will come.