Matchday Thread - Fleetwood Town v Derby County (20/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

Probably the most infuriating few pages of this forum I've read in a while.

Despite what some of the 'just saying it how it is' Talksport types on here think, no-one at all is saying a performance or tactics are beyond criticism. But at least have the decency to apply some context to criticism  i.e. a bunch of players slung together in no time at all, a rookie manager, a late pre-season & the fact we have dominated the 3 away games these same individuals are outraged we haven't won. Just hysterical, over-entitled garbage that I didnt miss at all last season

If we'd had social media back in the day, some on here would have happily got rid of Arthur Cox in 84/85 (we finished 7th in Division 3 with a bunch of expensive signings, imagine that) & wouldn't have given Clough another season after 67/68.

Just as well David Clowes seems a sensible, measured type & won't be doing kneejerk Mel Morris reactionary cack. He'll look at the table & notice we're just outside the playoff spots...perhaps the bedwetters might like to do the same.

Edited by LeedsCityRam

2 hours ago, Orphanram said:

Hourihane comments about us needing to wise up and influence ref’s in the game are interesting. I noticed him berating Bird to get up to the ref as the Captain and get in his ear after a poor decision. 

Its true we’re crap at that. Was never a particular fan of savage but my god he helped officiate the game in our favour sometimes, which is priceless

Edited by NottsRam77

6 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I think you’d struggle to get lucky in the angels mate, unless you found a quid in the urinal.

(yes it’s not got urinals, I know)

I had to clean the urinals at the garden centre where I worked. I would have been very happy to find a quid in there, but I only found chewing gum. ☹️

9 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Probably the most infuriating few pages of this forum I've read in a while.

Despite what some of the 'just saying it how it is' Talksport types on here think, no-one at all is saying a performance or tactics are beyond criticism.

Ah, but if we accept that as fact, we don't get to play the victim, week in, week out. Where's the fun it that?

Last season was difficult for so many reasons but we did at least have a united club and fanbase. Watching the slow slide back into overly critical and often materially incorrect sermonising from the same old posters, then watching them play the victim card when they get a bite is so f****** irksome. If you don't like the people wanting to get behind the club after two years of absolute hell, then do everyone a favour and f*** off to a board where the every poster is as miserable and self-obsessed as you are. Problem solved. Otherwise, accept that when folk think you're being too critical, they'll respond. That's how forums work.

2 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Ah, but if we accept that as fact, we don't get to play the victim, week in, week out. Where's the fun it that?

Last season was difficult for so many reasons but we did at least have a united club and fanbase. Watching the slow slide back into overly critical and often materially incorrect sermonising from the same old posters, then watching them play the victim card when they get a bite is so f****** irksome. If you don't like the people wanting to get behind the club after two years of absolute hell, then do everyone a favour and f*** off to a board where the every poster is as miserable and self-obsessed as you are. Problem solved. Otherwise, accept that when folk think you're being too critical, they'll respond. That's how forums work.

I'd just like to say that the there's a share of my misery blanket available to all..... ?

2 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Not to score in 1 away game you’ve dominated is unlucky. Not to score in 2 away games you’ve dominated is even more unlucky. Not to score in 3 away games you’ve dominated defies statistical probability & suggests there is a significant factor at play. 

Yes not kicking the ball between the posts, below the crossbar and over the line 

Just now, Ellafella said:

Not to score in 1 away game you’ve dominated is unlucky. Not to score in 2 away games you’ve dominated is even more unlucky. Not to score in 3 away games you’ve dominated defies statistical probability & suggests there is a significant factor at play. 

If you accept that each away game is an element drawn from a set of identical events (the set) then the statistical inference can follow. 

However, Charlton we were not fit, so blew up after half time. 

Shrewsbury the pitch was smaller... 

Fleetwood, who knows... 

There are I think, many factors... 

Only saw the highlights and read the text commentary ( was at a wedding) jees how many chances ?

hey, we came away with a point at an away game, another day and we’d be looking at 2 or 3 nil. It’s got to be seen as one of those days. Thing I like is reading “Roseignors slick Derby” and seeing the number of shots, close shaves and a clearly dominant side. It will come good. Patience lads. A couple of wins and Collins off the mark and confidence will soar as will the fear factor. How did we look on playing out from the back ? Were we a bit slow and sideways again or is it looking more purposeful? 

1 minute ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

If you accept that each away game is an element drawn from a set of identical events (the set) then the statistical inference can follow. 

However, Charlton we were not fit, so blew up after half time. 

Shrewsbury the pitch was smaller... 

Fleetwood, who knows... 

There are I think, many factors... 

What are the factors? How much variance does each factor contribute? 

Just seen on Twitter that DCFC left the away changing room spotless. No idea if they’ve been doing that every game or just this season but a touch of class.

We may be a big club, but it shows we’re going to places with a touch of class and respect for the opposition.

Edited by rammieib

How the hell did we not win?

I guess the dominance is not turning into shedloads of clear cut chances.

When you've got them backed up for minute after minute, 10 men defending their box, it's hard to find the space for that killer moment.

We will adapt, improve and overcome. COYR.