Alfreton Town vs Derby County (Match Thread)

cannable

3 hours ago, DanS1992 said:

I really have no idea what has happened to Sibley... Looked one hell of a prospect when he thumped 3 past Millwall a few years ago. Just seems to have gone backwards at an alarming rate since.  If this is his way of trying to stake a claim for a starting spot, then he should be no where near it.

Rooooooney

Looked very poor tonight.

Fragile at the back, blunt up front. Persisted with playing everything out from the back, which we didn’t really have the players for. That being said we also had no one to hold up the ball if we went more direct, so choose your poison I suppose.

We look like a side 2/3 weeks behind everyone else, which we are, and we look like a side 4 or 5 players short, which we are. 

Smith looked good, and Robertson looked very good. 

The goals we conceded were Keystone Cops level defending, but on balance they weren’t undeserved. Our goal was a stunner.

So who were the trialists last night and how did they do? 

Cashin and Foz both should know better for those goals and I think once you’re 1-0 down with a weakened team who haven’t had as many minutes then it’s always uphill. 

on to Saturday! 

6 hours ago, StaffsRam said:

Fragile at the back, blunt up front. Persisted with playing everything out from the back, which we didn’t really have the players for. That being said we also had no one to hold up the ball if we went more direct, so choose your poison I suppose.

We look like a side 2/3 weeks behind everyone else, which we are, and we look like a side 4 or 5 players short, which we are. 

The goals we conceded were Keystone Cops level defending, but on balance they weren’t undeserved. Our goal was a stunner.

Nicely put. Important to remember that these friendlies are about players getting back to fitness and getting used to new team mates.

We won’t be brilliant from the start of the season because as you say, we are catching up.

7 hours ago, StaffsRam said:

Very well said.

Just hope that Rosenior (and the new Board) are strong enough to ride the inevitable wave of disgruntlement when we are 10 points from 10 games at the end of September.

This squad will be a slow burner and we’ll need to focus on where we can be with 10 games to go, not where we are at 10 games in.

Cashin's fault for both goals IMO

Both routine long balls to head away and got underneath both. 

Dropped the GK then Forsyth in it though both coukd have anticipated better. 

I think the passing out from the back will radically improve if and when McGoldrick is fit as he will always be an option in those pockets of space. 

51 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

So who were the trialists last night and how did they do? 

Cashin and Foz both should know better for those goals and I think once you’re 1-0 down with a weakened team who haven’t had as many minutes then it’s always uphill. 

on to Saturday! 

It's always uphill - or downhill - at Ofton!

7 hours ago, StaffsRam said:

Generally, I agree with you but don’t forget, the starting 11 on Saturday is going to look a lot different to what we saw last night. So, hopefully the “4 - 5 players short” you refer to will come from those that will return for Oxford. I know last night either showed a lack of depth or, more likely, a lack of familiarity with each other (as you’d expect) but if we need to call on replacements, we’re unlikely to need them all at once. 

So, disappointing game but, once again, with all the mitigating circumstances I’m not getting too stressed at the moment although I agree it is likely to take a few more games than we’d like to get up to speed.

Saturday, I’m obviously hoping for a win but if we lose or draw I won’t be scratching my head thinking “what do we do now” quite yet.

22 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Generally, I agree with you but don’t forget, the starting 11 on Saturday is going to look a lot different to what we saw last night. So, hopefully the “4 - 5 players short” you refer to will come from those that will return for Oxford. I know last night either showed a lack of depth or, more likely, a lack of familiarity with each other (as you’d expect) but if we need to call on replacements, we’re unlikely to need them all at once. 

So, disappointing game but, once again, with all the mitigating circumstances I’m not getting too stressed at the moment although I agree it is likely to take a few more games than we’d like to get up to speed.

Saturday, I’m obviously hoping for a win but if we lose or draw I won’t be scratching my head thinking “what do we do now” quite yet.

I think the fan stress level has to do with expectations.  I think it's very unrealistic to expect to bounce back in one season - and not even necessarily desirable.  I'm just glad we're a going concern again for now.  If I thought we 'should' be in an automatic promotion place I'd be stressed out of my mind after Stevenage and last night. For me, competing for the play offs will be a fantastic achievement and I'm looking forward to seeing what we can do.

28 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Generally, I agree with you but don’t forget, the starting 11 on Saturday is going to look a lot different to what we saw last night. So, hopefully the “4 - 5 players short” you refer to will come from those that will return for Oxford. I know last night either showed a lack of depth or, more likely, a lack of familiarity with each other (as you’d expect) but if we need to call on replacements, we’re unlikely to need them all at once...

For me every single one of those should be an attacker or forward, we look woeful last night bar a great cameo from Robertson.

10 minutes ago, Mrso said:

I think the fan stress level has to do with expectations.  I think it's very unrealistic to expect to bounce back in one season - and not even necessarily desirable.  I'm just glad we're a going concern again for now.  If I thought we 'should' be in an automatic promotion place I'd be stressed out of my mind after Stevenage and last night. For me, competing for the play offs will be a fantastic achievement and I'm looking forward to seeing what we can do.

Well of course you’re right. There must be a correlation between expectations and stress. I’m firmly in the hope category rather than expect and I think most of us are.

With regard to the friendlies, the defeats don’t stress me out at all. Stevenage - good work out for a team still trying to gel against a team far more advanced in their preparations. Leicester - it wasn’t their first team but still plenty of quality at their disposal. Alfreton - nowhere near our first team and a group of players that have probably rarely played together. Also, as someone pointed out, didn’t Reading have a shocking pre-season the year they stormed the Championship?

Edited by Tamworthram

37 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

For me every single one of those should be an attacker or forward, we look woeful last night bar a great cameo from Robertson.

I have been saying for a while we need 4 good centre forwards in this league but unfortunately we are restricted still in how we can bring players in and to be fair we do have Collins who has to improve and McGoldrick who needs to be fit and for me that leaves us needing two more unless Stretton starts to show more. I expect we will bring in someone who is deemed spare from a club higher up the league structure but we shouldn’t be entering into a situation where ‘they must play if fit’ as that never seems to help us.

1 hour ago, Mrso said:

If you're getting stressed out watching football games then surely the message is this isn't for you as it can't be enjoyable and if it's affecting your health too then it's just crazy. 

45 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Highlight of the night was the steak pie chips mushy peas and gravy.

Highlight of the night was the Alfreton right winger who overran trying to get a cross in and went slamming into the advertising boards, shouted “f***!” when he realised he couldn’t stop, then saw a load of young kids behind the boards and instantly apologised for his language! ?