Max Bird

RoyMac5

I always thought he was promising and better than average. Rooney saw something particular  and clearly mentored him in a subtly different way than some of the others; making him his sidekick DM partner. 

There was a time when I wasn’t fond of the 2 DM’s thing. Thought it was a bit back foot / retrograde. I thought he was better higher up, more influential. I might have been right but circumstances possibly made us do what we did - so perhaps I was wrong too. 

Either way, seeing him in the last 2 friendlies against quality opponents  .. he stood out, he is class, a real maestro. The ball to Hourihan, that’s vision and skill all in one. Time and again he has picked a pass with huge intelligence. I’d love it if he sees us back to the championship and Curtiss hands him the armband for an assault on the prem.  

Always had myself down as a pretty good judge of midfielders and I’ve always been a bit skeptical about him.

Ran the show the last couple of games though. That pass today was glorious.

He’s like a cross between a Thorne and a Hughes so perhaps he’ll thrive in midfield a two.

3 hours ago, jono said:

I always thought he was promising and better than average. Rooney saw something particular  and clearly mentored him in a subtly different way than some of the others; making him his sidekick DM partner. 

There was a time when I wasn’t fond of the 2 DM’s thing. Thought it was a bit back foot / retrograde. I thought he was better higher up, more influential. I might have been right but circumstances possibly made us do what we did - so perhaps I was wrong too. 

Either way, seeing him in the last 2 friendlies against quality opponents  .. he stood out, he is class, a real maestro. The ball to Hourihan, that’s vision and skill all in one. Time and again he has picked a pass with huge intelligence. I’d love it if he sees us back to the championship and Curtiss hands him the armband for an assault on the prem.  

He seems to have a sensible head on his young shoulders. He's played next to Wayne Rooney, he has been managed by Frank Lampard, seen leadership at its very best from Curtis Davies, I think he understands what young players have to do to be successful.

I hope we see him lifting a title winning trophy for us one day, a promotion to the Prem in 3 or 4 years time will do nicely.

Well done Max and well done to Liam for making this young guy feel 10 feet tall and a special part of our club.

Most complete player at the club, currently. He appears to have taken another big step forward yet he still retains plenty of potential upside and that's a really exciting prospect for the Rams faithful. I honestly think this lad is ready to boss games now, he's that good. Another fullback, another winger and a rapid striker and we could do some real damage this season. 

8 minutes ago, Curtains said:

That tackle on Bird yesterday was horrendous.  
Straight Red for me. 

Reckless. Dangerous. Stupid. How that tackle wasn’t a straight red I’ll never know. We’re fortunate that Max was able to get back up. I thought the officiating was pretty poor yesterday. Liam was spot-on in his post-match, players need to be protected from stuff like that. Worry for me is that Oxford are very cultured compared to most of the cloggers in this league. God only knows what kind of horror tackles teams are going to get away with against us this season…

4 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

Reckless. Dangerous. Stupid. How that tackle wasn’t a straight red I’ll never know. We’re fortunate that Max was able to get back up. I thought the officiating was pretty poor yesterday. Liam was spot-on in his post-match, players need to be protected from stuff like that. Worry for me is that Oxford are very cultured compared to most of the cloggers in this league. God only knows what kind of horror tackles teams are going to get away with against us this season…

Exactly.

Good job we have the likes of Collins , Sibley ,Davies and Cashin in this League as they can look after themselves .

I though the tackle on Bird was vindictive .

The refereeing will be below standard in this League. 

On 24/07/2022 at 09:01, Gerry Daly said:

As someone else said, that midfield 3 of Bird, Hourihane and Smith looks very good. A very good balance too

It did, but it also didn’t. If Collins is in front of it, you need someone stretching the centre backs like Sibley did to open things up. Too much of the same with those three I think. 

2 hours ago, Curtains said:

That tackle on Bird yesterday was horrendous.  
Straight Red for me. 

Max better get used to close attention, Oxford stuck their No 11 on him and he nullified Bird for the most part. Max could watch tapes of Mason Mount playing for Rams - He was on the move for 90 minutes.