Max Bird

RoyMac5

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Missing Birdy big time.

I disagree. This seems one of the (many) times when Derby players improve once they're out of the team. My take is we'd quite possibly have had a better midfield this season without Bird and Hourihane. When Smith played in Bird's position we seemed better. If we kept the same formation but played White there, there's a possibility we'd be better. I would love these midfielders we think are talented to have dominated the league this year, but they simply haven't, which is why I think there's a better balance and combination to be found from Bird, Hourihane, Knight, Smith, Sibley, White, Rooney than has been selected so far.

17 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I disagree. This seems one of the (many) times when Derby players improve once they're out of the team. My take is we'd quite possibly have had a better midfield this season without Bird and Hourihane. When Smith played in Bird's position we seemed better. If we kept the same formation but played White there, there's a possibility we'd be better. I would love these midfielders we think are talented to have dominated the league this year, but they simply haven't, which is why I think there's a better balance and combination to be found from Bird, Hourihane, Knight, Smith, Sibley, White, Rooney than has been selected so far.

Many of appreciated Bird before he was injured.

Wycombe, Lincoln and the first 40 mins v Morecambe were poor. Hourihane is coming too deep for his skill set and we are conceding too may chances, particularly on the break. Bird breaks much of that up.

I don't think we have a perfectly balanced midfield, but Bird has been our best midfield player this season and it was noticeable that as soon as he was injured, replacing him became the January priority.

26 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

So Bird has been out and we have struggled in the last 2 games. 
I think you underestimate his ability and importance to the team .

He is a leader .

7 minutes ago, sage said:

Many of appreciated Bird before he was injured.

Wycombe, Lincoln and the first 40 mins v Morecambe were poor. Hourihane is coming too deep for his skill set and we are conceding too may chances, particularly on the break. Bird breaks much of that up.

I don't think we have a perfectly balanced midfield, but Bird has been our best midfield player this season and it was noticeable that as soon as he was injured, replacing him became the January priority.

Exactly.   White looks a good addition though 

7 minutes ago, Curtains said:

He’s played 2315 minutes.  These stats are meaningless 

And on those 385+ minutes that he isn't on the pitch, we've done better than when he was. Yes, it's difficult because he's played the 4th highest minutes out of everyone, but it's still useful and interesting. 

6 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

And on those 385+ minutes that he isn't on the pitch, we've done better than when he was. Yes, it's difficult because he's played the 4th highest minutes out of everyone, but it's still useful and interesting. 

So which teams did we play when he wasn’t on the pitch !  Home or away etc 

I don't think Bird would have made much of a difference last night. He can't control and pass it for the other 10 players. 

He'd just be in the same position Cashin and then White were in - loads of the ball with nothing in front of him to pass to. I think he's better than White so his return will be key but his replacement needs a few games under his belt until we get a proper feel for him. 

29 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Not meaning to dismiss your views on this but I just don’t agree.  
Max has taken time to adjust to League 1 so has struggled at times but I see him as a big asset for the playoff campaign going forward