Max Bird

RoyMac5

10 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Davies and Cashin in the middle, Fozzy at left back and Sibs in midfield. Bob's your uncle. Really hope this is how Warne covers Bird's absence.

Hard disagree. Keep Cashin and Forsyth together at all costs.

Smith at CM with Rooney at RB or, if Sibley's back, him in the middle with Roberts at LB.

12 hours ago, Simmo’s left foot said:

I thought Liam did quite well after he came on, maybe a chance for him to get a run in the team?

I like Thompson a lot. Thought he was brilliant last year in the Championship.

I'd like him to get a chance, but I think it will probably be Smith replacing Bird in our current situation.

6 minutes ago, Srg said:

Thankfully, I think you’ll be incorrect. 

I've been pleased to hear Warne talking about getting his best players in the starting 11. I think we've seen this season he thinks Fozzy is better than Roberts and Sibley is better than Rooney and Davies is better than Rooney, so if Sibley's fit I think this will be it. And it will give a whole new attacking dimension to our midfield with both Knight and Sibley able to carry the ball forward at pace through the middle and NML and Barks on the wings. Terrifying if you have to defend against it.

3 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

Hard disagree. Keep Cashin and Forsyth together at all costs.

Smith at CM with Rooney at RB or, if Sibley's back, him in the middle with Roberts at LB.

I can see there's an argument for keeping Cashin and Fozzy together, but I'd say move Sibley to midfield at all costs.

That said, I think Davies looks better now than when he seemed to be carrying an injury earlier in the season, and playing a few games helps blow the cobwebs away for him and get him back up to speed. And he may still be our best defender.

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

I've been pleased to hear Warne talking about getting his best players in the starting 11. I think we've seen this season he thinks Fozzy is better than Roberts and Sibley is better than Rooney and Davies is better than Rooney, so if Sibley's fit I think this will be it. And it will give a whole new attacking dimension to our midfield with both Knight and Sibley able to carry the ball forward at pace through the middle and NML and Barks on the wings. Terrifying if you have to defend against it.

Forsyth and Cashin have to be first choice CB pairing at the moment. I love Davies, but he isn't up to the pace at the moment. He struggled last night and he should be used sparingly to protect narrow leads in tight games.

If you want to move Sibley into midfield (if he's available for selection after injury) then Roberts stays at LB. He's done well there and was one of our brighter sparks last night.

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

And absolutely delightful when you break the lines and are running at a back tracking back 4 with no midfield in sight. 

Glad Warne is our manager and not you ? 

16 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Fozzy isn't better than Roberts at left back at this stage in his career.

You're in danger here of having 1 problem and shuffling about 5 other players out of place to solve it.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

If Tommo doesn't get a chance to start now, it feels like he never will

Possibly, but we're not a charity. We have to win almost all our games between now and the end of the season if we're to compete for the automatics. If we're looking at one position and choosing one player as Bird's replacement, and you're considering Thommo or Sibley, who is going to be the game changer we need? One of our most creative exciting attacking players who has also proved his adaptability and defensive strengths by being a key part of our strongest defence for ages. Or Thommo?

Also, Warne has demonstrated his desire for simplicity. We've all thought Rooney has looked good and could do a job, but Warne has been ruthless and said League One is a place for men and experience. Thommo does not have the physicality and would be bullied.

2 hours ago, Ram-a-lama fa fa fa said:

how long is he out for?

just seen on previous page. hopefully just the 2 weeks

2 weeks would be amazing . 6 weeks is the norm. But we do have options with Sibley , Thomson and Smith. Warne has plenty of time to work on it in training.

Weirdly enough Rooney is probably the closest player we have in style to Bird-can carry the ball but also pick a good pass. 

Smith is more of the runner/enforcer type and you’d have to worry about not having an anchor in the middle. Sibley should be no where near that holding midfield role. He’s too volatile and will leave too many gaps. 

Assuming no ins today though I would expect Smith in midfield and Rooney at right back for the rest of the season.