Max Bird

RoyMac5

IMO Bird is the most technically gifted player at the club. Only Didzy compares. Whether he imposes himself on games often enough is another question, but I think given his recent form, it doesn't make a lot of sense to suggest we're better off without him.

Young Harvey White does look a decent player himself, but we don't know enough about him as yet to assume he can match, let alone surpass Bird's ability to control a game. I've criticised Max at times this season, but only because I think his ceiling is higher than we see regularly. He's a big loss at a bad time as he also makes players around him better. I'd cite Knight as an example. It's a conundrum we need to sort and quickly in my view. I agree with those saying we also need to play 3 in the middle of the park in Max's absence.

2 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

IMO Bird is the most technically gifted player at the club. Only Didzy compares. Whether he imposes himself on games often enough is another question, but I think given his recent form, it doesn't make a lot of sense to suggest we're better off without him.

Young Harvey White does look a decent player himself, but we don't know enough about him as yet to assume he can match, let alone surpass Bird's ability to control a game. I've criticised Max at times this season, but only because I think his ceiling is higher than we see regularly. He's a big loss at a bad time as he also makes players around him better. I'd cite Knight as an example. It's a conundrum we need to sort and quickly in my view. I agree with those saying we also need to play 3 in the middle of the park in Max's absence.

I would revert to the same formation that has been so successful, with White in for Bird….

4 hours ago, Jubbs said:

Funnily enough, we are actually more successful without Bird on the pitch as shown by the highlighted section.

image.thumb.png.9446cccdf7abd2b8a23a62d590fa0865.png

Stats to compare Bird's 'success' with Rosenior and Warne as manager?

Under Warne, Bird came off for the final 10 minutes in the 2-1 defeat to Port Vale, the final 30 minutes in the 4-0 win over Accrington, and then the last 3 games.

3 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I think Max brings such an air of calm to the team and I dont mean that in a negative way - everyone seems to know he's where he needs to be doing what he should be doing. I'm not saying he is perfect as he's still so young and learning but really notice him not there

11 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Stats to compare Bird's 'success' with Rosenior and Warne as manager?

I don't think I can do it straight from that but the two games he was substituted under Rosenior were:

Peterborough was 0-1 when he was subbed, when he wasn't on the pitch we scored 2.

Same with the Wycombe home game, was 0-1 when he was on the pitch, when he went off we scored 2.

13 hours ago, CBRammette said:

I think Max brings such an air of calm to the team and I dont mean that in a negative way - everyone seems to know he's where he needs to be doing what he should be doing. I'm not saying he is perfect as he's still so young and learning but really notice him not there

Whole team's different with Bird in it. Every single player. They can make riskier runs, can expect a pass into feet if they're a forward, or a ball out wide for full backs and wingers. These players can play their game without having to think.

He doesn't do Hollywood passes that often, but he pulls off those slightly-more-difficult than average passes relentlessly, every time. Very few CMs at this level can do it. It's the marginal gain that separates us from the rest of the league and puts us up there with the best.

That's where the calm comes from with Bird. Having a player like that in the spine of your team makes everything run like clockwork.

3 hours ago, Jubbs said:

I don't think I can do it straight from that but the two games he was substituted under Rosenior were:

Peterborough was 0-1 when he was subbed, when he wasn't on the pitch we scored 2.

Same with the Wycombe home game, was 0-1 when he was on the pitch, when he went off we scored 2.

Under Warne:
Port Vale: Subbed off at 2-1, finished 2-1
Accrington: Subbed off at 4-0, finished 4-0
Followed by Morecambe, Wycombe and Lincoln

4 minutes ago, Brammie Steve said:

Max B rightly got League one GOTM for That goal!

I bet he's short odds for Goal of the Season!

It'll take some beating that's for sure!

(Lamps would be proud of a goal like that!)

Competition from the Dobbin volley. Two players not known for their goalscoring prowess, but when it clicks for them, it really clicks.

On 16/02/2023 at 10:22, Duracell said:

Whole team's different with Bird in it. Every single player. They can make riskier runs, can expect a pass into feet if they're a forward, or a ball out wide for full backs and wingers. These players can play their game without having to think.

He doesn't do Hollywood passes that often, but he pulls off those slightly-more-difficult than average passes relentlessly, every time. Very few CMs at this level can do it. It's the marginal gain that separates us from the rest of the league and puts us up there with the best.

That's where the calm comes from with Bird. Having a player like that in the spine of your team makes everything run like clockwork.

Never more obvious than today. It’s becoming a cliche that players can suddenly seem much better when they’re out the team for a spell, but in Bird’s the whole team seems much better with him in it; certainly at this level anyway.