Do we have a tough start with the fixtures this season

plymouthram

Match 1. Oxford (h)= Finished 8th last season and were joint top goalscorers with 82 goals.                                                                                                   Match 2. Charlton (a)= Finished 13th but won 3 of their last 5 matches.                                                                                                                               Match 3. Barnsley (h)= Relegated from the Championship and could be in contention to challenge again for promotion.                                               Match 4. Shrewsbury (a)= Finished 18th, lost 20 matches and did not win any of their last 5 league games (might be easier).                                    Match 5. Fleetwood (a)= Finished 20th, lost 22 matches and just escaped relegation (could be easy).                                                                        Match 6. Peterborough (h)= Relegated from the championship and could be in contention to challange again for promotion.                                        Match 7. Plymouth (h)= Finished 7th last season missing out on the play-offs by failing to win in their last 5 matches.                                              Match 8. Morecambe (a)= Finished 19th last season avoiding relegation (could be easy).                                                                                                Match 9. Lincoln (a)= Finished 17th losing 3 of their last 5 matches (could be easy).                                                                                                      Match 10. Wycombe (h)= Finished 6th in a play-off spot, but failed to win promotion.                                                                                                         Match 11. Cheltenham (h)= Finished 15th last season but were a hard team to beat only losing 16 times (drew a lot of matches).                               Match 12. Cambridge (a)= Finished 14th last season, only losing 18 times.

I would be happy with 27 points from the first 12 matches. All of our first 6 home games are good tests on how we could stand in this League.

Formatting hell fire. That’s unreadable on an iPhone. 

To answer the thread title, yes. With Charlton, Peterborough, Barnsley and Wycombe considered top sides at this level and Oxford there or there abouts, it’s not ideal while we are trying to find some cohesion. 

Unreadable on a Sunday night, even without heatstroke and alcohol stroke.

In regard to the title though, yes we have a tough start, not due to the opposition, due to us having to through a team together in less than 2 weeks.

Its going to be difficult and we have to be patient. Its a hard, physical league and we will have no help whatsoever from the Referees.

"Do we have a tough start?"

"I would be happy with 27 points from the first 12 matches."

??? 27 points from the first 12 matches would be nailed on promotion form. 2 points per game is title challenger stuff, you're putting your 'happy with' target at 2.25 points per game. Wigan were on 25 after 12 last season. So no, you're not rating that as a 'tough run'. 

Honestly, I'd be happy with 18-20 points in our first 12 matches. It'd have us in with a shout of the playoffs, and honestly, we've just been relegated, our squad has been shaken through its core. It'll take time for us to find our feet, a 'touch run' or not. We'll likely start slow and build as the squad gets used to each other, the league, etc. 

There's no need to expect miracles this season. 

8 hours ago, plymouthram said:

Match 1. Oxford (h)= Finished 8th last season and were joint top goalscorers with 82 goals.                                                                                                   Match 2. Charlton (a)= Finished 13th but won 3 of their last 5 matches.                                                                                                                               Match 3. Barnsley (h)= Relegated from the Championship and could be in contention to challenge again for promotion.                                               Match 4. Shrewsbury (a)= Finished 18th, lost 20 matches and did not win any of their last 5 league games (might be easier).                                    Match 5. Fleetwood (a)= Finished 20th, lost 22 matches and just escaped relegation (could be easy).                                                                        Match 6. Peterborough (h)= Relegated from the championship and could be in contention to challange again for promotion.                                        Match 7. Plymouth (h)= Finished 7th last season missing out on the play-offs by failing to win in their last 5 matches.                                              Match 8. Morecambe (a)= Finished 19th last season avoiding relegation (could be easy).                                                                                                Match 9. Lincoln (a)= Finished 17th losing 3 of their last 5 matches (could be easy).                                                                                                      Match 10. Wycombe (h)= Finished 6th in a play-off spot, but failed to win promotion.                                                                                                         Match 11. Cheltenham (h)= Finished 15th last season but were a hard team to beat only losing 16 times (drew a lot of matches).                               Match 12. Cambridge (a)= Finished 14th last season, only losing 18 times.

I would be happy with 27 points from the first 12 matches. All of our first 6 home games are good tests on how we could stand in this League.

Yes. Tough games especially at home , but hopefully the twelfth man will help us again. 

8 hours ago, plymouthram said:

I’m reading these ‘could be easy’ comments  and thinking these are exactly the types of games we manage to lose.

I wouldn’t be making any assumptions about teams based on last season’s form. We’re a completely different team and I’m sure others will be too. The changes we have made are in part recognition of the fact we used to struggle against more physical sides. 

It looks like we will be trying to play good football and this can be frustrated by a busy, physical opponent.

There will be times where we huff and puff and lose 1-0.

Let’s just see how it pans out. 

Isn’t it marvellous that we have actual games to look forward to?

F764810F-93D9-4819-9A4C-8436FA285FF5.gif

Yeah that is a tough start. Even Shrewsbury despite being near a relegation battle last season have been tipped by some to be dark horses this season. 

If we got 27 points from those 12 games, I think we would be in a very, very good place with easier games to come. 

If we want top 2 we need to be getting 90 points+ and 83+ just to make playoffs based on last season. 

50 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I’m reading these ‘could be easy’ comments  and thinking these are exactly the types of games we manage to lose.

I wouldn’t be making any assumptions about teams based on last season’s form. We’re a completely different team and I’m sure others will be too. The changes we have made are in part recognition of the fact we used to struggle against more physical sides. 

It looks like we will be trying to play good football and this can be frustrated by a busy, physical opponent.

There will be times where we huff and puff and lose 1-0.

Let’s just see how it pans out. 

Isn’t it marvellous that we have actual games to look forward to?

F764810F-93D9-4819-9A4C-8436FA285FF5.gif

My thoughts exactly. We’ll probably get off to a flyer winning our first three games to then lose against Shrewsbury and Fleetwood.

I have no worries about the home games but we need to improve massively our away from. And it needs to happen straight from the start, if we are going to fight for the promotion.

We do have a better (more physical, experienced and hard-working) squad now, which will definitely help. Also, the opponent are not as good as last season. In the end it comes to tactics and if those are as naive as with Wayne, I'm worried nothing will change. Let's hope Liam is his own man and deals the away games more practically.

9 hours ago, plymouthram said:

You infer 6 games could be 'difficult', 2 against teams that were hard to beat 'not easy' , and 4 that could be easy, but you'd be happy with 27 points?? 

I think you might have unrealistic expectations based on that analysis. 

If we get 20 points from those games, I think we can be pretty satisfied. 

There won't be any easy games this season and some people may be in for a bit of a rude awakening.

It will certainly be a struggle, of that there can be no doubt. We should also make an allowance for having so many new signings, and give them all time to get accustomed to playing together.

Nevertheless, I feel we will get around 30 points from the first 10 games.

The question is about as stupid as the formatting of the post.

Just like the Championship, League One is incredibly unpredictable. Any team could have a storming season out of nowhere, and any team could have a total collapse and completely fail to live up to expectations. It’s impossible at this stage to determine which games are “hard” or “easy”, not until we see how things unfold (crucially including how good we are!). 

Pointless to look at what we expect from individual games, as anyone can beat anyone. The only thing we need to focus on is ourselves, and how many points we need to get promoted back to the Championship at the first attempt. That should be 2 points a game, so get 24 from those first 12 matches and we’re on track.

It’s gonna be a game or season of two halves with a lot of six pointers,  But we need to remember that goals wins games and we need to avoid the “They scored too early” excuse. But we seem to have players who “certainly knows where the goal is” and try to avoid “Schoolboy defending” But we have a “Good squad on paper” and have players with a “Yard of pace.”

So let’s forget the Rooneys/Lampards and enjoy the ride.

I'm looking at the league and struggling to see where we will drop any points to be honest...I'm already in the payout queue for the 11/1 and 7/2 bets...and if we do drop a few early points even better might get improved odds on both those bets..

The title "Do we have a tough start with the fixtures this season" was not a statement, but a question to our forum. I thought of doing the first 12 fixtures, because sometimes that can give you an indicator of how the season could go. My apologies for the way it came out, looked a bit jumbled up (don't have a clue why it did that). Could always blame my fat fingers on my laptop.

On 18/07/2022 at 14:35, minesahartington said:

It’s gonna be a game or season of two halves with a lot of six pointers,  But we need to remember that goals wins games and we need to avoid the “They scored too early” excuse. But we seem to have players who “certainly knows where the goal is” and try to avoid “Schoolboy defending” But we have a “Good squad on paper” and have players with a “Yard of pace.”

Brilliant. If I could add a few ? ?

Some of our new players “seem to make their own space” We might for the first time in a while “have a fox in the box”

Of course it will be difficult if “they set up with 2 banks of 4” despite have “box to box players” and youngsters who are “Prem quality” and some “who aren’t good enough to play out from the back” 

Cliches  aside with Hourihan I think we do genuinely have “a midfield maestro” 

On 18/07/2022 at 14:35, minesahartington said:

I never knew Robbie Savage was a member here, learn something new every day!