Ali Koiki - Signed for Northampton

Arsene Titman

My friend who’s a Northampton town season ticket holder said “We’ll ask for loads. He’s Powerful, quick attacking full back, better going forward than defending, relies on his pace to help him defend & has quick feet. Was always at the start of our attacks because Robbo would roll the ball out to him & would just run through the teams. Also, he’s the face of our new kit launches so think the club expect him to stay“ Northampton had the best defence in England last season so it’s a no brained from me

2 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

My friend who’s a Northampton town season ticket holder said “We’ll ask for loads. He’s Powerful, quick attacking full back, better going forward than defending, relies on his pace to help him defend & has quick feet. Was always at the start of our attacks because Robbo would roll the ball out to him & would just run through the teams. Also, he’s the face of our new kit launches so think the club expect him to stay“ Northampton had the best defence in England last season so it’s a no brained from me

Do we have funds to spend on players?

19 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

How do we have the money? They turned down a 6 figure sum from wycombe earlier in the year?

True, we aren't allowed to pay actual transfer fees but would probably be allowed to use new transfer income from players sold ?

Could be selling Knight, Bird or Bielik ? Or maybe we've been told we are getting a compensation payment from Werder Bremen for Buchanan . Who knows

22 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

How do we have the money? They turned down a 6 figure sum from wycombe earlier in the year?

We can pay for players now just because we haven't doesn't mean we can't, within reason of course. Spending £1.5 mill is nothing like blowing £8 on a player like we did before 

7 minutes ago, Cb1289 said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but according to his Wikipedia page he signed a 1 year deal in July 2021 - so perhaps he is available on a free?

They triggered a one-year extension in Feb 2022

Knew nothing of him, but watching a couple of his videos on YouTube - shows that he’s a very rangey full back. One of the best tacklers in the football league too. 

Not sure how his fee falls within our business model, perhaps lined up means we have someone lined up to go out in order to free up the necessary funds to complete this signing. 

1 hour ago, roboto said:

We have Cybulski and Stretton pushing for first team places last year (out of necessity) for the striker role, but yes I also wouldn't mind a bit more depth there if someone with the right attributes at the right price was available.

Hourihane plays CM where we have depth with players like Knight, Bird, Thompson, Sibley etc. and some decent academy prospects to fill in if needed. If we start to sell some of our current first team midfielders then it is worth looking for suitable replacements too.

We can't just rely on a threadbare squad because that's hat we've been used to. We need to add more competition and cover where possible. Obviously within limitations of the business plan, but also with the longer term aim of getting some players in who could be with us for the longer term.

I'm not against January signings, but we shouldn't dismiss adding what we can now. I'm sure we're not just going around and throwing money at players/agents to get these guys.

And at LB we'd have Forsyth and Roberts. A squad of 2 senior players per position is not "threadbare". Adding a third LB is excessive

3 hours ago, Rev said:

Gives away too many free kicks and penalties, due to his poor technique. 

He puts his left leg in, then pulls his left leg out, in, out, in, out, shakes it all about.

Sorry Rev, that was so predictable mate!

1 hour ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Do we have funds to spend on players?

Depends on what the proposed business plan is. If I was to guess we could probably spend a million max by basing this off wigans dealing when in a similar position last summer

27 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

And at LB we'd have Forsyth and Roberts. A squad of 2 senior players per position is not "threadbare". Adding a third LB is excessive

But we haven't got Forsyth currently and Roberts preferred position isn't LB...

Not sure you're just arguing for the sake of it. If the lad signs I'll be happy and support him, if we go down other routes for LB then I'll get behind whoever plays there.

15 minutes ago, roboto said:

But we haven't got Forsyth currently and Roberts preferred position isn't LB...

Not sure you're just arguing for the sake of it. If the lad signs I'll be happy and support him, if we go down other routes for LB then I'll get behind whoever plays there.

It's obvious we're trying to get Forsyth signed up. Roberts also played LB last weekend, with his competition at CB being four players who can only play CB. With us playing 4 at the back and the other options we have, I'll be surprised if he plays much at CB.
Given the shape of the squad once Forsyth signs, it doesn't make much sense to then add an extra player at LB.

2 hours ago, Big Trav said:

What’s the news on the ?☎️ Big Trav ? What’s LR telling ya ??