Ali Koiki - Signed for Northampton

Arsene Titman

25 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Wouldn't surprise me if the EFL are yet again making stuff up as they go along. Wigan must have signed at least 5 players who all cost transfer fees within the 12 months following them coming out of administration, but the EFL won't allow us to spend a penny ... Yep, sounds about right ?‍♂️

Guess it’s the business plan put forward. Maybe their owner was putting more money in? No idea but would make sense that the business plans aren’t identical. 

17 minutes ago, Turnstile said:

None of our signings are FREE!! Instead of paying another club for them we are paying each player a personal signing on fee,enough in some cases to cover the cost of them cancelling their contacts with their current clubs.FREE my @£&e.Surely we have seen in the last nine months that players and their agents get their money!! being football creditors.

Normally you would be correct but under our agreed buisness plan there are restrictions on agents fees and signing fees

37 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

Normally you would be correct but under our agreed buisness plan there are restrictions on agents fees and signing fees

37 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

Yes there are but the players will still be getting a fee .Capped I agree but they will not be coming for nothing.

3 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Quotes from Rosenior in the following article say we can’t pay fees, so perhaps there’s no truth to this link OR there’s some sort of workaround being found? ? 

"You've got to get the balance right in every squad and the demographic of it is really important," he said. "But also where we are at is that we are still under restriction in terms of that we can't do fees for players.

Normally to pay for a player, they'll be between 22 and 28. Free agents are normally in that age bracket, but where we are lucky is that we have outstanding young players here already.”

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/derby-county-transfers-liam-rosenior-7346631

Wigan Athletic paid a transfer fee whilst stil in admin.. so not sure why we shouldn't be allowed to pay any fees at all, having exited admin.

I wouldn't expect big fees but no reason why we shoudln't pay a low fee for a lower league player who is under contract.

Just now, PistoldPete said:

Wigan Athletic paid a transfer fee whilst stil in admin.. so not sure why we shouldn't be allowed to pay any fees at all, having exited admin.

I wouldn't expect big fees but no reason why we shoudln't pay a low fee for a lower league player who is under contract.

Just sharing what Rosenior said when asked. Each post admin situation seems to be different so it’ll depend on what Clowes, the admins and EFL agreed in this “business plan”. Maybe we can’t spend fees, maybe we can and Rosenior is being coy, maybe we will be able to once we sell an asset? Only a handful of people actually know the facts 

7 hours ago, Taribo said:

Reckon he's any good? I must admit i'm in the dark with our current crop of youth 

7 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think he has potential, looks better going forward perhaps but has lots about him.

Maybe @Ghost of Cloughcould give you a more 'technical' breakdown, I'm a bit going on 'intuition'.

With Roberts and hopefully Forsyth battling it out at LB, I doubt we'll see WGP in the first team. Maybe on the bench a couple of times if someone is injured.

The next LB to play for our first team will likely be Moloney once he's recovered from injury. An exciting wing back.

Could possibly see Kei Robinson feature there in a couple of years as a more defensive minded option, typical of a player who is equally as good at LB and CB.

5 hours ago, Turnstile said:

None of our signings are FREE!! Instead of paying another club for them we are paying each player a personal signing on fee,enough in some cases to cover the cost of them cancelling their contacts with their current clubs.FREE my @£&e.Surely we have seen in the last nine months that players and their agents get their money!! being football creditors.

Who is "cancelling their contract"? The only players we've recruited who was under contract was Collins, but Cardiff allowed him to go on a free rather than anyone buying him out of his contract.

We'll be capped at about £750k-1m. Realistically, it'll be less. Only two clubs paid more that Wigan's £355k last season. 

9 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Who is "cancelling their contract"? The only players we've recruited who was under contract was Collins, but Cardiff allowed him to go on a free rather than anyone buying him out of his contract.

We'll be capped at about £750k-1m. Realistically, it'll be less. Only two clubs paid more that Wigan's £355k last season. 

£750k-1m each or for all ten we have already signed ? Doesn’t seem much to each individual to me.

26 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

For the entire team, including contract renewals.

26 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

For the entire team, including contract renewals.

You have more financial faith in the EFL,players and agents than me.

Maybe they've just been told "here's the wage budget and free transfers only" as policy rather than requirements?

Who knows.

I think overall budget restrictions are far more likely than a no transfer fees restriction in the business plan. Might be limited to only paying fees up front and not in installments?

Honestly no idea.

Maybe we just have an owner who thinks transfers should be paid for with money we actually have rather than speculating by sending us into debt?

We haven't sold anyone yet so how would we have fees to buy anyone? Clowes has already stumped up a bunch of money to pay our debts (probably over time) and we all know that with modern football wages season ticket money barely leaves anything left over - So I would imagine the manager has been given a simple instruction that he can spend whatever he generates in player sales

• 10 months later...