Wayne Rooney

roboto

26 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Not at all.

They have all left a job unfinished for something better in their eyes. They’re all the same.

You’re saying Rooney is different because he didn’t leave at the first opportunity, but to our knowledge, this is the first job he has been genuinely offered and in the running for, not just linked with.

Rooney didn't leave Derby FOR the job at DC United. He left Derby because of the failed takeovers and the fact that players were starting to leave. He couldn't do the job in the way he thought he would be able to. He was absolutely fed up of the situation. I don't blame him.

14 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Bangs head against wall....

Rooney quit, at the point his preferred option for the takeover didn't materialise. He did not leave us for another role. Rowett, Lampard and even McClaren did. Simples!

It's really not a difficult concept to grasp, unless you're just here to argue back and forth. In which case, you win, whatever point it is you're making, I'm wrong, woo hoo, well done.

Look at the facts.

Rooney resigned. Rooney is in another job weeks later.

That would suggest he left not because of a failed takeover, otherwise why didn’t he leave when Kirchner’s deal first fell through in the winter?

It’s far more likely that he caught wind that there was another job in the pipeline, perhaps one that could sustain his huge salary.

14 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Rooney didn't leave Derby FOR the job at DC United. He left Derby because of the failed takeovers and the fact that players were starting to leave. He couldn't do the job in the way he thought he would be able to. He was absolutely fed up of the situation. I don't blame him.

You don’t walk into another job weeks later all of a sudden.

If he left because he had had enough of failed takeovers, why would he leave on the day a takeover actually goes through and work can be started to improve the situation?

20 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

What do you mean as bad as each other? What do you expect? Some manager comes to us, a club they have no affiliation to, and we pay them to do a job as an employer. Then, a while later, someone comes along and offers them more money and they take that - because they had no affiliation to us. Would you rather Clough stayed at Hartepools or Dave Mackay went to Hearts because it was his hometown club and where he started his career?

Or would you rather they just stick it out until the Chairman decides they are not a fit and shows the exact lack of loyalty to them that you are suggesting managers display? Clement, Pearson, Cocu might also suggest that's hardly the way forward either.

It's all a moot point anyway, that is how it is - you and me grumbling about it is going have the square root of diddly squat influence on it.

That's exactly what I'm saying. They all talk a lot of b******* .  Your arguing the opposite. 

41 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Bangs head against wall....

Rooney quit, at the point his preferred option for the takeover didn't materialise. He did not leave us for another role. Rowett, Lampard and even McClaren did. Simples!

It's really not a difficult concept to grasp, unless you're just here to argue back and forth. In which case, you win, whatever point it is you're making, I'm wrong, woo hoo, well done.

I think you're being a bit naive if you think discussions with the imposter DC weren't ongoing at the point of resignation.

15 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Look at the facts.

Rooney resigned. Rooney is in another job weeks later.

That would suggest he left not because of a failed takeover, otherwise why didn’t he leave when Kirchner’s deal first fell through in the winter?

It’s far more likely that he caught wind that there was another job in the pipeline, perhaps one that could sustain his huge salary.

Says "look at the facts" then posts a load of supposition and conjecture. Show me where Rooney left Derby knowing the DC United job was coming up? Go on, I double dare you....

Oh, btw, as you seem so intent on moving the goalposts - your original point was that Rooney is no different to Lampard or Rowett. To remind you, he didn't leave us for another club, the other two did. Simples (again)!

Just now, Anon said:

I think you're being a bit naive if you think discussions with the imposter DC weren't ongoing at the point of resignation.

I don't know and you don't. What we all know, and it is a fact, is that Rooney didn't leave Derby to join DC United. Really, it's as simple as that.

1 minute ago, BaaLocks said:

I don't know and you don't. What we all know, and it is a fact, is that Rooney didn't leave Derby to join DC United. Really, it's as simple as that.

True. I don't think it's a big deal either way to be honest. I don't think anyone is justified in feeling particularly let down by Rooney, but I also don't think he made much of a positive impact in his time here. Ultimately we were relegated to the third division with 30 odd points rather than 20 odd points, whoop de do! Glad we can move on.

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Err, the fact he didn't leave at the first opportunity (Everton)......

Here...

Your arguing Rooney didn't jump at the first opportunity .   At no point have Everton said he had that job, he wasn't even shortlisted.  

Rowett was actually offered the Stoke job in the January and turned it down. 

Rooney stated he was employed by the club, then left when he didn't get the owner he wanted in a Billy Davies timing pique of rage and has a new job he's clearly had in the offing for weeks. 

Gave him the benefit of the doubt that maybe with TUPE and players leaving he decided to leave.  I don't think that way now and it makes the timing of his resignation worse .  Proper ' I wish it was Preston' job .  Swop Preston for Kirchner.

24 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

You don’t walk into another job weeks later all of a sudden.

If he left because he had had enough of failed takeovers, why would he leave on the day a takeover actually goes through and work can be started to improve the situation?

I never said that he left purely because of  a failed takeover, it was the culmination of false dawns and promises that were never met. More or less everyone was saying throughout the season 'how has he not walked yet?' I do not blame him in the slightest. 

The confirmation of the collapse of the Kirchner takeover was the final straw for Rooney. Players that he wanted to keep and sign had started to go elsewhere. I think Rooney just got fed up with it as he couldn't do his job in the way that he had thought. That is massively frustrating for a manager. Bear in mind he's had this rubbish for well over a year.

And Rooney didn't leave Derby on the day the takeover went through, he left a week before. Nobody knows the timelines in this situation and when certain decisions were made but come on, he didn't leave Derby County to join DC United.

4 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

But it wasn't mutual, he resigned. The administrators desperately tried to change his decision.

Is that confirmed fact?
Not being arsey... a genuine question!

Last I read, he asked to be relieved from his contractual obligations.
Q may well have begged and pleaded with him to change his mind and stay, but I (rightly or wrongly) assumed he eventually must have received the permission he sought, and was free to leave, otherwise there'd be a breach of contract(?), and I've heard nothing on that score.

?‍♂️

Wayne Rooney leaves Derby with the takeover all-but done and there is optimism ahead, only to turn up at DC United a couple of weeks later.

It seems very coincidental.

Why take the step down? His reputation would grow far more here if he were to remain as Derby manager and get us promoted this season. Instead he moves to the MLS?

Id say there is a high probability that he knew the DC United job was in the pipeline while he was still here, and that the connection to Stretford and the money involved makes it a simple decision.

What other explanation could there be?

Hes not doing it to be closer to his family, or to challenge himself at a higher level. 

Edited by Bris Vegas

12 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Says "look at the facts" then posts a load of supposition and conjecture. Show me where Rooney left Derby knowing the DC United job was coming up? Go on, I double dare you....

Oh, btw, as you seem so intent on moving the goalposts - your original point was that Rooney is no different to Lampard or Rowett. To remind you, he didn't leave us for another club, the other two did. Simples (again)!

So it’s just a happy accident that weeks after resigning, he has a new job at a club where he previously played and will know everyone from top to bottom and can likely forego a formal recruitment process.

So it’s just a happy accident that DC United have had an interim coach for months, but now suddenly they’ve found their man.

So it’s just a happy accident that Rooney didn’t have the ‘energy’ to continue as manager of DCFC, but weeks later, he is suddenly energised to manage a club that are second bottom in their division in MLS.

Let’s agree to disagree.

I suppose we just have to wait and see what he says when he's confirmed at DC United.

It does us no harm to wait for an explanation, rather that than jump in and fill the gaps ourselves now with speculation or make ourselves look like asses with an overly harsh critique only for there to be some perfectly understandable rationale behind the decision.

(Although the gaps seem pretty easy to fill)

People change or have their minds changed for all sorts of reasons, sometimes over the course of years, sometimes months, days, hours, seconds. Some wait until they're bosting for a wee because they've heard some silly thing about making better decisions when you're desperate to go to the toilet.

Maybe the toilets were out of order on one of his recent flights?

Edited by Coconut's Beard

I don't really care to be honest.  He left. Most managers would have left last season in our situation.  We now have Liam.  I'll just focus on what he does. 

My only question would be if Rooney is officially announced by DC and Liam is still interim, do we get any compo?

4 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

I don't really care to be honest.  He left. Most managers would have left last season in our situation.  We now have Liam.  I'll just focus on what he does. 

My only question would be if Rooney is officially announced by DC and Liam is still interim, do we get any compo?

Why would we?

If, as people are suggesting, he didn’t leave us to go to DC United, why do they owe us anything?