Wayne Rooney

roboto

7 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

So empty the WR paid for hotel and coach for an away game.

Wayne and Collen don't need the cash now, This is something WR needs to do to prove he has got what it takes in the football world, I wish him well in what venture or road he takes, The reason WR has advisors is he doesn't come over that "bright" no disrespect meant, Just that people will push WR in a direction that feathers their nests just as much as his.

Many top footballers hand their lives over to a team of advisors. Thierry Henry had a team of about 6 at the end of his playing career, led by David Dein's son. One of them had a credit card with which he bought anything and everything that TH might want or need - and the advisors were paid a 10% fee on the value of all purchases.

Imagine trying to take control of your own life when you've got used to that? I imagine Rooney will always need a level of financial support like that.

27 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Many top footballers hand their lives over to a team of advisors. Thierry Henry had a team of about 6 at the end of his playing career, led by David Dein's son. One of them had a credit card with which he bought anything and everything that TH might want or need - and the advisors were paid a 10% fee on the value of all purchases.

Imagine trying to take control of your own life when you've got used to that? I imagine Rooney will always need a level of financial support like that.

Remember a story of some fella on a flight sat next to Fellani who was playing for Utd at the time.   Crew came round with refreshments and he bought 2 chocolate bars, handed her a £50 note and said is that enough.  Different world. 

18 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Remember a story of some fella on a flight sat next to Fellani who was playing for Utd at the time.   Crew came round with refreshments and he bought 2 chocolate bars, handed her a £50 note and said is that enough.  Different world. 

To be fair to the lad, there's the foreign exchange rate to take into account too, in this instance.

When on holiday, I often hand a 20€ note to a waiter, and enquire whether that covers the cost of our three course evening meal and drinks... and tip!  👀

8 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

What I will say about Rooney is that he is amazingly driven. He must really want to be a manager to keep stepping down like this.

It would have been much easier to do what Neville did after Valencia. Live off your reputation as a player and keep taking Sky's money.

But no, he is determined to pick himself up and try again and again. 

That, I can respect.

Here's an outlandish thought, maybe he was so pissed off with blues fans, that he took the job on to deliberately screw them over?

If he does get the Plymouth job and does a decent job, it won't seem so outlandish.🙄

I think Rooney proved himself to be a good leader.  He galvanised everyone in adversity.  He really did become a figurehead when we needed him to be and brought everyone together - players, staff and fans.  But that’s what he is.  A figurehead and leader.  He needs football people and tacticians around him.  He fell a bit lucky with us that Rosenior and others were already here.  Whether it’s Plymouth or anybody else, it’s important he gets his back room staff right.  Get it wrong, and it might be his last gig.

17 hours ago, Srg said:

Just don’t know how anyone can see what happened with him and his agent teaming up with Kirchner for control of the club and then running when it failed as anything other than pure scum. 

Chris Kirchner was a prolific conman who scammed people out of 10s of millions of $ and will spend the majority of his life in jail because of it. 

Rooney was committed to helping the club in anyway he can, I don’t doubt that, and obviously saw Kirchner as a legitimate candidate - many smarter, business people also trusted his word. I don’t think you can lay that at Rooney’s feet whose advisors would’ve been persuading him anyway. 

You'd have thought by now he'd have made peace with being a manager not being his thing but it seems another harsh lesson in the realities of football will be needed.

As for Plymouth, not sure whay they actually think he's going to bring, i doubt sponsorship or press attention is enough to compensate for having a good manager.

Whilst I wouldn't be welcoming him back to Derby in a hurry I think it is harsh to consider him a complete write off. In his time with us there was enough to suggest he was keen to learn and develop. DC United could hardly be considered more than a bit of a business venture and at Birmingham, as at Derby, there was enough going off outside the 90 minutes to distract even the best of them.

You'd have to say both that the odds are against him for this to succeed and also that his really is likely to be his last chance. But there are many journeymen managers who fluffed their lines at their first couple of roles but seemed to keep on getting the nod. Rooney wouldn't be the first there.

Plymouth were probably the favourites to go down before they signed Rooney, so anything other than being bottom would be a success. Plymouth only stayed up because of their good start to the season, they were in freefall since Xmas.

Posted (edited)
On 24/05/2024 at 13:20, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Obviously you haven't been to the cinema recently...  because the answer would be 'no'!

Edited by Chester40