Wayne Rooney

roboto

Good memories of Wayne at Derby. Took out Knighty in training and fell for the Kirchner BS like many others, and made a lame excuse when leaving, but gave us hope in the dark times, for which I’m grateful.

Difficult job now at Wayne Rooney’s Birmingham City, especially when already 6th and the harsh sacking of Eustace who will probably end up at QPR? Wish him well but not the Club.

23 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

When he came, as a player, he also became some kind of ambassador for 32Red. In return 32Red increased their sponsorship of the club to the tune of Rooney's wages. He didn't cost the club a penny as it was extra sponsorship money from 32Red. money we wouldn't have got if he hadn't joined DCFC.

Yes the sponsorship which definitely didn't come with a clause in it that Rooney had to play every game he was fit for (and even some he wasn't), no siree.

(but quite evidently was rather heavily incentivised in order to pretty much guarantee him a place)

I too, like others, will always be grateful for the way he almost single handedly held the club together. 

I see, on reflection that his hasty exit was inevitable after the Kirchner deal collapsed. Probably a tad embarrassed that he was sucked in by a chancer.

I also think he probably read the room too once David Clowes threw his hat in the ring. I suspect he realised his more than likely costly salary was unsustainable under the new regime.

His halo with me will however slip somewhat if he comes back and strips our squad of all our young talent. 

2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

No one is paying 4 million for Cashin, that ship sailed unfortunately.

1 million and we have done well.

If the likes of him, Bird, Sibs et al hang fire, they can all go for free next summer thereby increasing signing on fees and wages...

I can’t believe some of the stuff I’m reading on here!
I make no apologies in posting this which I pinched from elsewhere.

Taken from a press conference before a match against Forest.

Of all the directions we thought Wayne Rooney’s career may take after the end of his playing days, we perhaps didn’t expect this. 

The eloquent and passionate spokesperson for a community worrying about its football club. A father figure for young footballers fearing for their livelihoods.

But this is Rooney in January 2022. As manager of Derby, Rooney carries responsibilities far heavier than anything he experienced during his years as centre forward and captain for Manchester United and England.

Derby is more than a football club,’ Rooney said.

‘It gives everybody in this city hope. It gives kids the right to dream. It gives young players opportunities. It’s incredible that it’s been left in this situation.

‘It needs to remain in the football pyramid. If not there will be a lot of hearts broken.’

He has already spoken to parents of his players about their mental health, asking them to look out for red flags. Local supporter groups, he revealed on Friday, have his phone number.

Rooney has paid for vital training ground equipment himself and has promised football staff made redundant over the last 12 months that, if brighter days do return, they will be the first ones back through the door.

In short, Rooney has vowed to carry the load of Derby’s troubles on his own shoulders and on the field at least there has been a revival.

So, there has been some brightness but trying to find a way through the gloom of impending extinction continues to represent the greatest challenge of Rooney’s career.

‘Yeh, I think it is,’ he said. ‘It’s been incredibly tough at times. It’s been emotional. I have seen staff lose jobs. I felt the right way to go about this was to try and burden myself and take pressure off staff and players.

‘I know they look to me for guidance and I try. The results and the efforts of the players and staff have been incredible. The players believe in me and I am more than capable of dealing with the stuff off the pitch. 

Impending extinction …………so for those Derby County supporters wishing the worst for Rooney hang your heads in shame.

On 08/10/2023 at 12:07, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Gary Cook was involved in some of the failed takeover chat when Rooney was here wasn't he? Now CEO at Birmingham.

Yup - all feels a little weird to me. I got the impression that Cook was the guy pulling the strings of the Kirchner thing. Had it all lined up. Deep-pocketed (ha!) owner living the dream of owning a club, world-famous manager attracting talent that wouldn't otherwise look twice at the unfashionable club - and then him getting to run the day-to-day as CEO. Too busy lording it up to notice that Kirchner was a fraud...

He's just recreating his original sherman-tank fantasy but at Brum

Kinda hope they fail spectacularly

9 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Of all the directions we thought Wayne Rooney’s career may take after the end of his playing days, we perhaps didn’t expect this. 

The eloquent and passionate spokesperson for a community worrying about its football club. A father figure for young footballers fearing for their livelihoods.

But this is Rooney in January 2022. As manager of Derby, Rooney carries responsibilities far heavier than anything he experienced during his years as centre forward and captain for Manchester United and England.

‘It gives everybody in this city hope. It gives kids the right to dream. It gives young players opportunities. It’s incredible that it’s been left in this situation.

‘It needs to remain in the football pyramid. If not there will be a lot of hearts broken.’

He has already spoken to parents of his players about their mental health, asking them to look out for red flags. Local supporter groups, he revealed on Friday, have his phone number.

Rooney has paid for vital training ground equipment himself and has promised football staff made redundant over the last 12 months that, if brighter days do return, they will be the first ones back through the door.

In short, Rooney has vowed to carry the load of Derby’s troubles on his own shoulders and on the field at least there has been a revival.

So, there has been some brightness but trying to find a way through the gloom of impending extinction continues to represent the greatest challenge of Rooney’s career.

‘Yeh, I think it is,’ he said. ‘It’s been incredibly tough at times. It’s been emotional. I have seen staff lose jobs. I felt the right way to go about this was to try and burden myself and take pressure off staff and players.

‘I know they look to me for guidance and I try. The results and the efforts of the players and staff have been incredible. The players believe in me and I am more than capable of dealing with the stuff off the pitch. 

Impending extinction …………so for those Derby County supporters wishing the worst for Rooney hang your heads in shame.

You make some very good points --- but but but --- he is a Manure Utd legend --- nuff said 😉.

I’m torn on Rooney.

Rooney the player pre Covid was great and he gave us some pretty outstanding moments.

Rooney the player after the restart was an embarrassment and his presence made Cocu’s job impossible.

Rooney the manager in his first season was absolutely horrendous. We only survived after Waghorn pulled us over the line on the final day and Rotherham had a fixture pile-up.

Rooney the manager/person in the second season was admirable.

Some say Rooney sticking by us was brilliant. Others will say he was handsomely paid to be a manager apprentice at our expense as we couldn’t sack him. He either had the hardest job in the world in some people’s eyes, or the easiest.

Imagine earning around £50k a week in a job where nobody bats an eyelid at your performance and you can’t be sacked?

I don’t blame Rooney for coming to Derby and grabbing the chance to become a Championship manager.

But it was all a ploy by Mel to use Rooney’s name to sell the club.

In another universe, Clowes is our owner in 2020 and Cocu comes here, our youngsters vastly improve, Sibley is sold for £25m, and Rosenior takes over from Cocu after we sit around in midtable for a few years and then pushes on to promotion.

i don't think he did his managerial career any favors going straight to the Championship.  Learning the basics in the lower divisions would have increased his abilities faster IMO.  It is one thing having been able to attract players, perhaps less now though, but another to know how to get the most out of them.  Wayne will probably not succeed at Birmingham.  About Cashin, if any large offers come we should of course cash-in.

16 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

If the likes of him, Bird, Sibs et al hang fire, they can all go for free next summer thereby increasing signing on fees and wages...

If 'free' is the same as 'compensation', where a variety of factors, such as recent genuine bids are considered (ie. the £3m Brighton offered for Cashin), then yes. They will be free.

3 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

However, I'm unconvinced he'll actually be a good manager, maybe I'm wrong and he's not had enough gigs yet to write off. The it's Wayne Rooney factor won't be quite the same at brum, without the "other" factors that were here when he was.

BCFC support will be a defining factor, Not a clue on how the blue noses feel about him being their manager, But, If he starts off well then the ground swell of support will grow, I've got a feeling their next home game will be their biggest gate of the season so far, If they start poorly their gates will go down...as does in all clubs except DCFC 😁

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/birmingham-city/attendances

2 hours ago, Sheepinthedales said:

Loved him apart from the bitter end. Felt he really got the club, the fans and worked his rear end off during what must have been an almost impossible environment. But something about the way he scarpered when it was clear the Kirchner deal was up the swanny and the ties to Stretford, Cook. Dunno, might just be me

Its not just you.  Rooney was the right man at the right time in admin. His profile highlighted our plight at the right time and I admired him fighting for us when I had always disliked him previously.
But I never liked the way he and/or his team connived for him to take Cocu's job and it seems the same has happened at Birmingham as he's been linked for ages. Like you I didn't like how he just seemed to ditch us and scarper with a lame excuse to another job - Rosenior didnt and must have worked his butt off to get a team together. It made me always think Rosenior probably was behind much of it anyway that season. Perhaps I should have stuck to my initial opinion of WR!

27 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

He made a power play to run the club with a con man and his agent. How can you support the guy when he was getting paid handsomely for Rosenior to do the work, then walked when his crew got found out?

Always thought Rooney was an outstanding player but got mixed feelings on his ability as a manager.Players must have been lifted and motivated by his reputation within the game but I think Rosenior played a major role in coaching and organising the team. If Cashin and Bird were to leave in January I think the combined fees wouldn't reach £4m despite the views of many fans and,in all honesty,I'd rather we did all we can to get Thompson to sign a new deal.

4 minutes ago, Srg said:

He made a power play to run the club with a con man and his agent. How can you support the guy when he was getting paid handsomely for Rosenior to do the work, then walked when his crew got found out?

So the phone number for staff for their support on Rooney's number went through to Rosenior? Rooney never denied Rosenior was doing the coaching did he?

You can dislike the man all you want but rewriting the Clubs history is just wrong.

Edited by RoyMac5

Someone (forget who - apologies) put it perfectly....

"Rooney was not necessarily a very good manager but he was a great figurehead at a time when we needed a figurehead more than we did a manager".

==

I do also agree that Mel bringing him in - I guess to help with the sales pitch - massively undermined Cocu. I know many weren't sold on Cocu but I would have loved to see how it could have panned out, building a club based around the academy and supplemented by the occasional signing of an experienced player.

We'll never know.

Edited by IslandExile

2 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Someone (forget who - apologies) put it perfectly....

"Rooney was not necessarily a very good manager but he was a great figurehead at a time when we needed a figurehead more than we did a manager".

==

I do also agree that Mel bringing him in - I guess to help with the sales pitch - massively undermined Cocu. I know many weren't sold on Cocu but I would have loved to see how it could have panned out, building a club based around the academy and supplemented by the occasional signing of an experienced player.

We'll never know.

What do you think a manager does, out of interest?

Cocu was never going to be successful here, that's how it would have panned out.

Rooney was the right man at the right time for that season. He articulated how we all felt and pulled together a bunch of youngsters and frees who put up such a good fight. We went down fighting admirably after such a hefty points deduction and I don't think I've been prouder of the team and fans than after that fulham match when the game was all but up for survival. You could perhaps argue a couple more away wins which a more astute manager buys us keeps us by the skin of the teeth in the division but it just wasn't quite to be. 

On the Birmingham move I think it's a mistake by both parties. Rooney is coming into a turned-around side who have suffered their own financial woes recently and it'll be hard to take the credit even if it does go well. Birmingam have sacked a bloke who took them from looking at relegation to a play off place. I can't see it ending up well for Wayne unfortunately.

55 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Yup - all feels a little weird to me. I got the impression that Cook was the guy pulling the strings of the Kirchner thing. Had it all lined up. Deep-pocketed (ha!) owner living the dream of owning a club, world-famous manager attracting talent that wouldn't otherwise look twice at the unfashionable club - and then him getting to run the day-to-day as CEO. Too busy lording it up to notice that Kirchner was a fraud...

He's just recreating his original sherman-tank fantasy but at Brum

Kinda hope they fail spectacularly

Kirchner was already 'living the dream' via Slyncio (sp?) though wasn't he? All those golf tournaments. Who found who, I guess. Did Kirchners original funding disappear and then he hooked into Cook et al? I can't remember the exact order of play to be honest. Was Cook involved pre-Kirchner with Alonso?